The Greater Nottingham Co-operative Society

Having lived in Nottingham for more than 40 Years I'm actually quite surprised (and disappointed) that the internet is of no help. Trying to find anything about the old Co-op (the Greater Nottingham Co-operative Society) proved unsuccessful.

I worked fot The Nottingham Cooperative Society, which became the Greater Nottingham Coop, from 1968 to 1975.

What do you want to know Ron?

I remember Nottingham Coop taking over Boston/Skegness, and Long Eaton, to Become Greater Nottingham Cooperative Society Ltd.

Around 1970.

It was about this time that the vehicle livery colour changed from Red to Light Blue.

It became the GNCS in the late 60's - probably around 1968 - but the change was gradual. The color change was to turquoise/white.

The Coop having some interest in Toton sidings rings a bell - but my guess is they sold it off about the same time. The Coop movement entered a steep decline in the late 60's with the introduction of supermarkets like Tesco.

My dad worked for Long Eaton Coop until about 1972 when he took a job at Ratcliffe Power Station. He was a big supporter of the Coop!

Arround the time of the take over of L.E. I worked a lot at the Long Eaton side.

They built the Sausage Production Unit (S.P.U.) Acton Road.

Now Cyrils Nut Hut Indoor play area.

The take over of Boston Coop, gave us 'Boston Sausage'

• 8 months later...

hi all, i worked as a butchers delivery lad at varney rd co op,started 1963 ish,left compo school 65,then carried on full time till early 69 then went to work at t.n. parrs at beeston earnin some proper dollar compared to me £4.11s.ood at co op,a wunt change it tho, by the way any 1 remember joe westwood, mr, messolm main boss,danny stewart,dennis burt,fred blatherwick,walt morrel and harry? the double act at varney road,you name it weve gotit.

There was a Cinderhill Co-op Society, only ever saw one of their former buildings though, (that I know of) quite a biggish place, always empty far as I remember 1970 onwards cept for a short spell in 1990,s as I recall, talking of the building on David Lane, virtually the first one on the right after Basford Crossings, it was pulled down to make a staff car park for the DHSS (now also gone) No idea if it was ever part of Nottm "Empire" and only remember the Cinderhill bit as there was a plaque slab etc high up on shop front wall

I was an Apprentice electrician with the Coop and worked there at that time.

Together with Phil Mathews, Dave Hamer and quite a few others.

Werent you based upstairs near the offices? Perhaps even used

the old stables, which smelled of horses?

• 6 months later...

Welcome Nigel

Do you mean Coop House?

Perhaps there was a Boston room, they took over Boston Coop.

I have memories of a James Hargreaves room or something?

My ex brother in law worked at Coop House late seventies in the menswear department.

One day he was showing leather coats to a Jamaican fella, the fella tries it on for size & promptly legged it out of the store.

Following night ex bil is out on a date & is walking through slab square & see's said Jamaican wearing nice full length leather coat. Five yards away are two big policeman !

After a quick word with them said jamaican is arrested & carted off to central police station a label was still attached to the inside of the coat.

A few weeks later ex bil gets £5 voucher from the coop as a reward !

That was lucky, had there been a riot? or maybe the night Forest displayed the European cup? (trying to figure out why 2 policemen were in the market square) He didn't have a guitar under it did he? someone I know worked as shop assistant in a well known music shop, a chap as you describe came in picked up a top of range guitar (£600 ish) and put such under a coat as you describe , must have come prepared as with some sort of harness on under coat as didn't need to hold such as he walked out, was seen by this then shy young assistant and knowing he had been seen merely put a finger up to his lips, then did the "I've got a gun" sign!

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi there i work at coop removals my forman was ray i was with 530 crew was you with 777 Ron have been trying to get hold of some folks who work there when i did. Bruce quin was there cant find him but have got hold of Terry booth, John comes past away in the late 80s of cancer he was a very good friend of mine so if you could help more on this would love to know. Allen parker- Colin needham- John Murphy - Bruce quin the clown of the team you made me laugh so much. George Brown and his land rover. so if you could help email me ##########@ ### Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I worked for the Building Department as an electrician from 1972 to 1992. We were based at Abbey Street, Lenton and other trades incuded plumbers, painters, joiners etc infact the building department could build and maintain almost anything.

• Upvote 1

Welcome tonyfm

I worked for the B&E as an apprentice/electrician 1968-1975, when I was made redundant.

I should know you? Bosses, Dennis Fisher, Bill Stringfellow, Ray Foulks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mick

You do know me although we never worked together. I was probably working with Dave Kilford who was my apprentice when you were there. You might remember me, beard and glasses. I think I remember you working with Brian Thomas but could be wrong.

Anyway reason I started to answer was for RockitRon.

The GNCS had many departments, a few I can remember were:

The dairy on Beechdale road.

The Slaughter house at Long Eaton and I did hear of one that was before my time at Ruddington.

They delivered bread from Meadow Lane again before my time.

Greengrocery from Meadow Lane.

The transport department again at Meadow Lane.

They took over Mansfield CO-OP.

There were stores as far as Skegness and lots of little shops inbetween.

Funeral departments all over the trading area the main one at Derby road before moving to Triumph Road.

They had at least two shops that traded under private names one in West Bridgford and the other in Grantham.

I worked all over the area doing electrical maintenence so visited most of the stores and met lods of people.

Hope this helps.

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Any of our clan remember the Co-op staff canteen on Meadow Lane?

By gum it wer good un cheap and massive portions too!

I did a few stints of working there in the 60's, in the mobile shops. Started work about 0500hrs loading groceries/greengrocery into the mobile shop. Never had I worked so fast, to get it all done - and get in the canteen for 0700hrs for me massive bacon and tomato cob (more like a loaf really) and big mug of good strong tea!

Mmmm... Great!

• Upvote 1