A Tough one for you!!

Heres a tough one for all of you over a certain age (60+).

Has anyone ever heard of a Public House called the "Adelphi"..It was somewhere up near Robin Hoods Chase in St.Anns. I have tried to find any info on the Net but alas,nothing. It was a Shippo's house and my Mother worked there during the war years and my Uncle and Aunt ran it. They moved on to the White Cow in Ilkeston and I can only think it would be in the time when St.Anns was re-developed. My Brother was actually born in the pub and my last memory of it was a Wedding reception of my cousin.

Anyone know or heard of it ??

Owdtite.

I wonder if it was the nickname of a pub??? There was a pub on St Anns Well Road at the bottom of the Chase, can't recall it's name now, way too long back in time.

No it was definately about half way up the chase on the right hand side and the Adelphi was its proper name, I used to walk up there often when I was a wee boy with my Parents. But there is no recollection on the internet. I will look on that old map of Nottm and see if I can locate the name of the Street,I think it was called Abbotsford street actually if I recall. I found the street where my Grandparents lived in St Anns on that wonderful map, Young Street, it brings all the boyhood memories flooding back...Thanks so much to all concerned, you have made one old man very happy!!

Owdtite.

Sadly the White Cow is now a Tesco express

That was on the left hand side on Nottm Rd as you went into Ilkeston wasnt it Fynger? I remember going to see my Uncle there in 1966.

I could just murder a pint of Shippo's right now!!

Owdtite.

Good luck FINDING a pint of Shippo's!

Shouldn't that be in the "Things you don't see anymore" categories??? .........................LOL

Well, I said it was a tough one, thanks to the maps on here I have discovered that the Adelphi was in fact on Abbotsford St and on the corner of Whitehead St.Seeing as my Father and his family(he was the youngest of 11 kids) were born and bred in St Ann's I really should know more than I do about the area.I do believe that it was in this pub that my Parents actually met, my Mother moved from Ilkeston to come and work at the Pub for her Aunty. They were married in the church at the bottom of the "Chase" in 1939. I am really surprised that I cant find any info on the Tinternet!

Owdtite.

• 7 months later...