There's oil in them thar (Eakring) forests!

It's good to know that The Beehive is still going strong. Last time we went in would have been about 1971 and if you have never been there it is definitely worth a visit, I assume that it will have kept its character, one small bar and side room with a pleasant garden. I suppose I should say that you get a buzz from going in!

• 10 months later...

I can remember back in the 60's there were still some 'nodding donkeys' operating in the vale of Belvoir. 

They did move it to Rufford Abbey for safekeeping from the scrap metal merchants but it's ultimate destination was to be the new oil mining museum at Kelham Hall where the American oilmen lodged during the war. I'm not certain if it's there yet. I did go round the Dukes Wood museum at Eakring a few years ago but I think that's now been moved to Kelham. Must drop in when I pass by next week.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Welcome Patricia,

There are instructions on how to post photos on the site I am sure many members would like to see some more history of the area.

The area around the back of Bilsthorpe, Eakring, Maplebeck and Kneesall is typically rural England. We often used to go for drives in the countryside and stop for a beer at the village pubs. I remember that the Savile Arms in Eakring (if it is still open) had the floor level about 3 feet above the pavement on the main road. Loved the beer garden at The Bee Hive at Maplebeck, mum and dad often took us there as kids in the Ford Popular with a canvas sun roof and I always had a bottle of mixed fruit pop and KP peanuts. The Angel was at Kneesall just down from the Church, is it still open?

I've been in most of those hostelries for a bite to eat at lunchtime when researching my family tree. My mother's maternal line were farmers all over that area, going back to the 1600s. I remember sitting by a very worn headstone in Kneesall churchyard, waiting for the sun to shine on it in such a way as to throw the inscription into relief so that I could read it. It belonged to one of my Thompson ancestors. 

J.S., wot were you doing sitting around a graveyard in the 1600s? It may not have been 1600, it may have been ten past four.:ph34r::rolleyes: