I have a book "Guide to the coalfields 1974"

and the companies advertising mining equipment is quite interesting

Bubblewrap....does your book mention the organisation called 'Safety In Mines' or SIM?

Back in 62, my folks were friends with a fella called Beaumont and his family. They lived in Wollaton and he was the area representative for SIM.

Just a question that came to mind with all this talk on mines..................Thanks

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes. Education, education, education - remember that absolute bollocks from the prophet Tony Blair ? Get all the school leavers to go to University (to get them off the un-employment figures). Rena

I know most of you have probably seen this tribute to the Hucknall colliery miners but I thought it was worth posting all the same, unfortunately our coal heritage has all but gone and all thats left

That's right - and in one to the best demonstrations of poetic justice I have ever come across, Shipley Hall, home of the Mundy family who owned many of the coal mines in the area, had to be demolishe

Yes.

Education, education, education - remember that absolute bollocks from the prophet Tony Blair ?

Get all the school leavers to go to University (to get them off the un-employment figures).

Rename Colleges of Further Education and Polytechnics as 'Universities'.

Encourage meaningless degrees that do nothing for employment prospects and, best of all, get them to pay for it !

(£9,000 a year now isn't it?).

Make the famous Universities like Oxbridge (and Nottingham) into earners i.e. to attract foreign students paying through the nose.

Difficult not to be cynical isn't it ?

The best advice you could give to any school leaver here in London is to get a job on London Transport - where train drivers get £52,000 a year.

• Upvote 3

I sometimes think the people who hand out the student loans are a tad stupid

A friend of mine decided to up sticks and get a degree from Sussex university which he duly got it aged 64.

I Wonder if he will pay the loan back as a pensioner? ;)

Brush still make flameproof transformers and switchgear, Last Brush gear I worked on was the 600Kva FLP transformers and SF6 6KV breakers at Boulby mine in North Yorks.

Do they still do anything for railway locomotives ?

It seemed to be a prosperous company when I was at Loughborough in the 70's - doing all kinds of 'power' electric stuff.

Then I heard in the 80's that they built the Class 60 loco's that do a lot of the coal and freight haulage. I noticed that they had to lay in a new railway line to the works.

Every time I go past it on the train it seems to be part of another company.

I think it changed hands again in 2008.

Imported through Immingham I think.

Think I read somewhere recently that we are exporting coal to the UK and Europe now, and soon we will be supplying you LPG.

I think the UK are a little worried being tied to Russia for all your energy requirements so now are looking at alternatives. We sell gasillions of liters of natural gas to China in bulk high pressure ships for around 2c a liter (1p) ! not something most Aussies like, as we pay around a $1 a liter at the pump, or more for a cylinder refill.

• Upvote 1

Re number of pit workers, no idea! but in 1939 555,337 worked for the railways, they had 20,612 locos inc 35 diesels, carried 254,000,000 tons of freight, 1,158,318,000 passengers in that year, owned 49,774 houses, and 49,000 road vehicles

According to the colliery year book 1947 there were 766,300 men working in mines in 1939 of which 604,200 worked underground. Employment peaked in 1920 at 1,226,900 men.

Output of coal in 1939 was 231,337,900 tons. Peak output was in 1913 at 287,430,473 tons. Which included 82,521 tons produced in Ireland.

The details for local collieries in the year book are:-

Manager men underground surface approx output

Bestwood N Siddall 1575 500 853,000

Gedling G P Thompson 1450 450 625,000

Linby W E Bowen 745 210 314,000

Babbington H Taylor 600 220 250,000

Cinderhill H Taylor 700 280 260,000

Clifton W Morrell 750 170 250,000

Hucknall 1&2 L R Boyfield 900 290 430,000

Radford W A Jones 320 70 97,000

Wollaton W A Jones 160 60 56,000

That was No.6 Area of the East Midlands Division of the NCB.

Further to #97. Norman Siddall became Chairman of the NCB. Only one shaft existed at Calverton and it was part of Bestwood colliery and Cotgrave was a pipe dream in1947. Bulwell colliery was closed before nationalisation. Babbington and Cinderhill soon became recognised as one colliery called Babbington. The output of all the working collieries increased substantially under the NCB partially due to mechanisation. At various times Babbington, Bestwood, Calverton, Cotgrave, Gedling, Hucknall, and Linby all produced 1 Million tons in a year.

Just as a matter of interest, where does all the coal for the Notts power stations come from now that nearly all the pits have closed ?

I'm thinking of places like Ratcliffe power station.

Is that imported coal ?

Where is it brought in from ?

There is still coal produced at Thoresby colliery, also some opencast coal including from Scotland and imported coal through various ports as well as Immingham such as Avonmouth, Hull, and the Mersey. I am not sure of the countries of origin but I would think they include Russia, Poland, USA, Colombia.

Had my wedding reception at Station Hotel but best pubs for me in later years were The Bedstead and Plough & Harrow, some great bands played the latter inc Judas Priest who went on to be multi millionare rock stars

the Bedstead is now no more, all gone, and they are building a new Co-op on the site