Lidls and Aldis will clean up hopefully. All the Lidls I've patronised are superb and sensibly priced.

The fruit and veg lasts longer than Tesco's too.

What pees me off is the fact that there are stores at Top Valley and Bulwell. One mile apart.

Also, the one in Long Eaton and one at Swiney Way, Chilwell. Again, barely a mile apart?

Fuel is 1p cheaper per litre at Swiney Way than Top Valley, yet is situated in a more affluent area.

I emailed Tesco's Customer Complaints Dept twice a couple of years ago, regarding this anomaly. Other than the usual automated reply, not an effing word !

You forgot Tesco's at Hucknall FLY2 !

I can't see a problem with Tesco or anyone else having stores a mile apart, serving the "Local" community.

AND Lidl & Aldi offer zero hour contracts to their employees, not, Tesco.

Is that pehaps why the germans are a copper or two cheaper than Tesco, Morrisons & Asda I wonder ?

Hucknall is more than a mile from Bulwell. I take your point though about the local community. It's the fact that Tesco's want to swamp us, and give us no choice unless you drive somewhere else.

I can't wait for the proposed Lidl at the NCV car sales site near Bulwell Common. I hope it materialises. I can walk there.

It's the fact that Tesco's want to swamp us, and give us no choice unless you drive somewhere else.

It seems that Tesco have finally - and painfully - learned that we didn't want to be swamped, so they are closing down many of their stores. The consumers have won after all.

• Upvote 2

It's been said many times before here.

All we want is a decent product for a decent price.

Tesco is getting a good kicking because they lied, they cheated and they treated their customers AND their suppliers with utter contempt. They weren't prepared to move with the times and adapt to the recession, they just arrogantly assumed that we'd HAVE to pay their prices in order to maintain their profits.

It's quite funny really to see the huge Tesco in Long Eaton with the tiny Aldi next door.

Last time I looked, the Aldi was swamped - whereas the Tesco was like a ghost town.

Nobody's got an ounce of sympathy for them. They are going to have to work hard to get us back.

• Upvote 1

#32. FLY2. It's good when you can walk to the shops but just remember, you have to walk home again with your shopping!

• Upvote 2

Kwik Save did the same selling none brand name's but in the end they started to sell branded products, i did shop in Kwik Save for years because it was cheaper. I purchased cheaper brand's also but did not like them, it's the same with Aldi/lidi shops and the big names stores, some own brands are ok and others rubbish.

• Upvote 1

Yes, it's a case of how the might fall. Tesco have paid the price for their arrogance, being totally out of touch with their customers and treating their loyalty as a given. Exactly the same thing happened to M&S a couple of decades ago. Sainsburys too. I can remember when John Lewis wouldn't open on Sundays and Mondays, they wouldn't take credit cards either. And can you remember Ratner?

Retailers do usually get their acts together when customers leave in droves, resulting in plummeting profits and reputations. Tesco will bounce back. It doesn't matter to me though, I have no brand loyalty and shop at Morrisons, Waitrose, M&S, Co-op, Sainsburys et al... where-ever the prices are keen and the customers are treated well. Any problems and I'm talking to the manager!

By the way, most large retailers squeeze their suppliers till the pips squeak. Most large retailers have varying degrees of zero hours contracts. Most large companies have corporate governance and respect for people, customers and business partners policies. All eyewash of course!