When I was a kid, Mum told me they had built a Tesco supermarket on the spot where I was born. I was a kid many years ago so the store might have changed hands many times since then but could anyone direct me to the spot in Google Earth? It would have been around 600 on Sherwood Rise in the mid-50's and a Tesco in the early 60's. It suppose it might even be a Tesco still today.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Robert

There is no store listed on the Tesco site.

Google Street view covers Sherwood Rise apart from the Crossing above Hamilton road.

The car missed that bit.

I have never questioned what Mum told me (not in these matters at least!) so for the last 50+ years I have been quite convinced I was born at number six hundred and thirty-something Sherwood Rise. It was when I asked her if we could go to see the house that she told me it wasn't there any more but that there was a Tesco in its place.

I suppose Tesco could have been a synonym for supermarket, like 'Hoover' for vacuum cleaner or 'Bendix' for launderette. The concept of supermarket was pretty new at the time.

Looking at Google Earth for clues, it seems quite possible that Sherwood Rise doesn't get as far as number 600 - although it is a fairly long road - but how about nearby roads? Could it have been 630 Nottingham Road, Sherwood Rise? Probably not because number 600 would be at the other end, far away from Sherwood Rise, so I'm back at square one.

I had to ask for a copy of my birth certificate once, possibly when I got married, and I'm sure it had the address on it though I didn't check what it was, having no reason to. Even if I ask for another one, it won't have a Google placemark on it...I don't have anything else to go on.

Robert

Apply for a FULL Birth Certificate.

My Fathers Birth certificate had his address on it, and he was born in 1911.

You can do it online...

Find out about searching for a birth certificate - Nottinghamshire County Council

Warning! Beware of purchasing expensive certificates via the internet

A number of websites are offering customers the chance to buy certificates which range in price from £19 to £60.

Nottingham rd doesn't go up that high either, Mansfield Rd which Sherwood Rise is off does, but not familiar with that

600, Mansfield Road, Sherwood is the premises of Forum HiFi Centre.

F662A_map2.gif

There is a Tesco around 699 Mansfield road,

Just above Woodthorpe Drive.

Tesco WOODTHORPE MANSFIELD ROAD EXPRESS

Can be Seen on Google Street View.

It's amazing how much interest you've shown; thanks to all of you.

I rarely have all this time free to play with Google Earth but thanks to you lot I found out about street view and have been thoroughly enjoying myself all morning. I might even have identified the spot. Yes, I could apply for a birth certificate but living abroad makes it a bit of a hassle. From what I read on their website, it seems possible to make email enquiries with the Nottinghamshire Archives so I sent them a short missive asking for help. I'll let you know how I get on.

Nice weekend to everyone.

Robert

• 1 month later...

I am sure there was a Tesco on the corner of Mansfield Road and Newstead Street in Sherwood in the late 60's but cannot remember whether that was before or after it became Hartleys Supermarket and was opposite the Hi Fi Centre which is no 600 Mansfield Road

I was born on Haydn road, if Forum Hi-Fi is 600 and Wilko's is 646 (from their website) which used to be, I think, Fine Fare many years ago. This would put 630 in the area of the Co-op supermarket.

I don't know when that was built, suspect early 60's, or if it was another supermarket before, but there used to be a small co-op store on the corner of, I'm fairly sure, Drayton Street. This is now a bookshop, went in a while ago when the wife was looking for a particular music book.

There was something supermarket like on the corner of Newstead Street, there used to be a garage in the area I think, and a doctors surgery, Dr. Clarke, if I recall, went to school with his son, was built behind the 'supermarket'

By the time I left the area, 1972ish, it had become the car bits shop, now a bank I think.

Yes Mick2me but cannot remember whether Tesco was before or after Fred Hartleys which was the same building and thanks for that Catfan, that's exactly where I meant.

You are quite right ravintrainman about the garage behind it as well, not much to look at but they knew their stuff and the building that was Tesco's and Hartleys then became Motobits for quite a while.

Would that be the same Hartley as Hartley Business Centre on Hayden/Hucknall Road? They had a nationwide car accessory company, Motorist Discount Centre?

I remember the shop on Mansfield road at one time being called Garfinkels.

wasnt the FIRS maternity home somewhere on mansfield road ?

Yes, around where the corner of Mansfield Road and Elmswood Gardens meet. Almost opposite Edwards Lane.

There was also a Garfinkles in Netherfield, cheap fancy good and Misc.

Bought a fantastic german pen there for 50p early 80's.

Wished I had bought them all.

Would ave made a fortune on ebay.

Firs Hospital I think now is a nursing home. I could be wrong?