Another great Nottm Chipy was George's chippy on Sneinton Dale. He used to hide we schoolkids in the back of the shop when the headmaster drove down the dale looking for us at lunchtimes.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found the below after searching, on KEY. AERO     and from Railsroadsrunways blog,  

Courtesy of Streetview.

As a special treat I went to the Burton Joyce chip shop yesterday. Two haddock and chips with mushy peas - all for £23.20!! The battered fish was indifferent, the chips (enough for 8 people!) were sog

Posted Images

BTW the Mermaid (Hatters) is smaller than I remember. Must be that it seemed bigger due to its importance in my younger life.

• 1 year later...

we now go to andys at staplefordcorner of west avenue not far from sandicliff garage, fish always fresh cooked to order and he only cooks small batches of chips so never standing around for longso nearly always get fresh cooked chips too best fish i have had in a long time but be prepeared to wait a few mins as its nearly always busy.

RadfordRed. # 64, I know the owner and apparently trade plummeted when a club in Trinity Square was closed by police. The chippie was only open on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights anyway. They still have a shop in Bulwell.

Bestwood chippie, Oxclose lane, good, reasonable price and loads of it.

For anyone living or ever around gedling/carlton area, the fish + chip shop on Burton road (known as micks to a lot of locals) does gorgeous F&C. There's a chippy just up carlto hill past Tesco, they usually have an offer on a small F&C but their kebabs are lovely!

Haven't been there for a while, but the Fishnet in Blidworth was always excellent, both for quality and quantity.

Which is more than I can say about most of the local chippies here in Arnold.

the chippy on the corner oposite the old pub that's been shut down for a while in daybrook I found do amazing F&C and lovely mushy pea's! I can't remember the name of it though.

The chippie on the corner of Sherbrooke Rd Daybrook has always sold quality. Changed hands over the years but still good grub...a pleasant change from the norm.A change of hands usually means the opposite.

the chippy on the corner oposite the old pub that's been shut down for a while in daybrook I found do amazing F&C and lovely mushy pea's! I can't remember the name of it though.

Went past there today Pixie, it's called Daybrook Fish Bar, surprisingly! Never been in there but might try sometime as it's being recommended by you and Pooh. We normally go to Captain Cod on (I think) Perry Road and always been good.

There is a chippie at the southern end of Bronte Beach that serves the best fish and chips for miles around. Always queues of 12 or more but well worth the wait.

Everything cooked fresh, chips, fish etc - non of this pre-cooked rubbish. Batter is golden, firm to crisp and tasty. Chips are thick and plentiful, well cooked and tasty. Potato cakes (fritters) are thick, well cooked, beautiful batter.

Pickled onions in the jar on the counter, put on your own vinegar and salt, choice of fish.

And it smells like a fish and chip shop - not some Asian kitchen.

• Upvote 1

Some years ago, I was a Visitor to Los Angeles Fire Department near Dodger Staduim.

They took me out to get some lunch from a Chippy somewhere in Los angeles.

All I can remember is a long queue that went down very quickly as there were about 15 mexicans

behind the counter quickly wrapping orders and throwing them across the shop to the servers.

It was beautifully cooked, but a bit far to go. I would love to know where the shop was.

There is a chippie at the southern end of Bronte Beach that serves the best fish and chips for miles around. Always queues of 12 or more but well worth the wait.

Everything cooked fresh, chips, fish etc - non of this pre-cooked rubbish. Batter is golden, firm to crisp and tasty. Chips are thick and plentiful, well cooked and tasty. Potato cakes (fritters) are thick, well cooked, beautiful batter.

Pickled onions in the jar on the counter, put on your own vinegar and salt, choice of fish.

And it smells like a fish and chip shop - not some Asian kitchen.

Would that be Bronte Melbourne or Sydney Trev ?

Baz :ninja:

Mick, re #81. They certainly do up here in West Yorks, with haddock being the fish you get automatically if just asking for F&C. If you want cod, you have to request this on entry and it is cooked specially.

Does your comment imply that in Nottingham cod or haddock are not now the staple fish supplied? In the past, was not cod was the automatic choice in Notts, haddock available in some shops as a special.

These days, it seems that unless you specifically ask for cod or haddock, you may finish up eating pollock, or some Vietnamese fresh-water fish - panga or river cobbler, which bears a passing resemblance to cod without the taste, but is a lot cheaper for the chippie to buy-in.

Same with supermarket fish products. Unless it says cod or haddock, it's whatever they can get cheapest.

Doesn't stop them charging full whack to the customer, though.

Going back fifty odd years now, but THE fish and chip shop oop norf was Harry Ramsden's at a roundabout at the top of the A1. Had a friend who picked up some fish and chips there, before picking me up in Doncaster before heading off down south. Don't know if I was particularly hungry or not, but did I enjoy them. Cooled a bit by time I got them, but still hot enough to enjoy.

The Harry Ramsdens on the A1 was the one and only original. As I commented this was fifty years ago, didn't have franchises in those days. Probably someone bought them out and then tried to trade on their reputation.

Pwatmo, whereabouts opp norf are you?

The Harry Ramsdens on the A1 was the one and only original. As I commented this was fifty years ago, didn't have franchises in those days. Probably someone bought them out and then tried to trade on their reputation.

Pwatmo, whereabouts opp norf are you?

In Abbotsford

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Fish and Chip Shops