I don't think it was an old church, turn right near Queens head and it was up a road on left hand side. They used to have disco's and live bands, possibly early eighties.

Sorry for going off thread a bit.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found the below after searching, on KEY. AERO     and from Railsroadsrunways blog,  

Courtesy of Streetview.

As a special treat I went to the Burton Joyce chip shop yesterday. Two haddock and chips with mushy peas - all for £23.20!! The battered fish was indifferent, the chips (enough for 8 people!) were sog

Posted Images

What was the name of the club in Kimberley that was popular in the late seventies? All i can remember is it being on the right hand side somewhere opposite the Queens Head pub.

Just been googling, could it have been the old Railway station ?

Didn't Bill Treacher play Arthur Fowler in Eastenders??

Dunno - but Arthur Treacher was the policeman in "Mary Poppins"! As far as I know, his only claim to fame - apart from the Fish & Chip places - they are still around, actually went through a bit of a resurgence a couple of years ago!

Amazing - and I always thought it was driving that was dangerous, not parking! Things must be different in Kimberley!

• 4 weeks later...

Try chipbox derby rd lenton opposit rose ans crown pub usually relly good fish and chips i think under

£5 for fish chips and peas plenty for piggy and me to shear and he likes his food.

another place hucknal on the market place.

Remember when fish and chips cost less than a shilling!!

Remember when fish and chips cost less than a shilling!!

!englandflag! Remember the 'Tanner Mix' chips & mushies!! with a scoop of batter bits on top ?? We used to get that from the chippie on Nuthall Road (in the sixties) opposite Newcastle Arms, it was owned by the Sheffield family, Steve Sheffield was a regular at the Dungeon club.................anyone remember it? !hungr!

Mid sixties fish or meat pie was 2 bob, chicken was more expensive.

The chippy on Carlton Road just below Nags Head does mini fish and chips for £2.70, good value.

Paulus, where was this Dungone club?

Dungeon....Just round the corner from big Woolies on Lister Gate.

Stanford Street to be precise!! Later on it was 'eight till late' !inthebin!

And wages less than a Fiver...

The only time I was on less than a fiver was the first two years of my apprenticeship. At 20 I was earning more than my Dad, and that was in 1967, and I had another year to go before I got tradesmans full pay.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A bit out of your way, Mick but I still use the one on Mansfield Road at Daybrook Square occasionally. I think they're pretty good.

its the best also won fish shop of the year in 2008 lived off oxclose lane fore 32years and used it regularly when working at b/q in daybrook square

• 10 months later...

In the early 70's it was run by Councillor Bob Churchill and his wife. Downstairs was a restaurant where you could buy a basket of chips and drink until 3 or 4am, sometimes you didn't bother buying the chips, or had one basket between a table. Did anyone else go there, or even know about this late night watering hole?

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Fish and Chip Shops