What's Your Favourite Tipple??

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No. I would describe it as 'eerily warming'. The more calvados - the more eerie and warming 

Alcohol

Posted Images

When I first started in the pub trade a girl asked for a 'snowball'. I just got a highball glass, put in a measure of Advocaat and filled up with lemonade, finally topping off with a marachino cherry.

She immediatly complained saying that it should always have orange juice (cordial) in it !

Not arguing with her I said I'd never heard of it being made that way and I simply poured a measure of squash carefully down inside the glass , she went away happy and that was the last one I ever made ( about 30 years ago)

After deciding to do some this year I had a look online for recipes for them. I found 6 different ones , two said lime cordial , the other four were just with lemonade not one mention of lime orange juice/ cordial anywhere !!

So one in the eye to you Gill Harrod !! I was more right than you were !!

I wonder if you could use a crushed Jubbly?

Bl**dy painful, havin' yer jubblies crushed, I wince at the mere thought of such!!

I once had me 'Jubblies' operated on (Cysts) and I can tell you - I walked like John Wayne for weeks afterwards!

:rotfl:

Wife after my op.

I had a bottle of 'Shepherd Neame Christmas Ale' off of Santa and had it with my dinner yesterday. Rather tastey and 7% too. I only had the one drink yesterday !!

I had a bottle of 'Shepherd Neame Christmas Ale' off of Santa and had it with my dinner yesterday. Rather tastey and 7% too. I only had the one drink yesterday !!

Did 3 bottles of Christmas Ale, then nodded off in the chair, SWMBO left me to wake up at 'silly o'clock'.....................freezin'...........

two bottles of Ben Nevis Ale followed by a mouthful of Pedigree before kicking it all over the floor :(

• 8 months later...

Whats your favorite tipple?

Had a run up Mansfield Road last night with some old friends from Notts.

First tine for some pubs and a couple not been in since previous meet ups.

The Poacher sells a good choice of beers and this one was very passable

Lincoln Red - Castle Rock Brewery

castlerocklincolnred.jpg

Always was a good crawl starting at the Peacock, then criss crossing Mansfield Rd then cut through on to North Sherwood St.

Then do every pub down to the Clinton Arms. I first tried Southern Comfort and lime chasers there. Brilliant.

The days of pub crawls are over for me,far too expensive.I object to paying around three quid for a pint of coloured water....got better things to spend my money on.

Remember 'Castella..for the price of a pint?'...it would be a ruddy expensive smoke nowadays.

• Upvote 1

Two pints nowadays and I'd be peeing every ten minutes.

My favorite is "Hemlock Bitter" also from Castle Rock but not brewed all the time. Last sampled during a meet-up at the Poacher.

We don't get out as much as we used to, but of late, we've been frequenting the Samuel Hall in Sherwood.

OK, it's a Wetherspoons, but they do stock a good selection of beers from the Nottingham Brewing Company, and their Bus Depot or Dreadnought bitters are particularly nice - especially when washing down a 14oz Aberdeen Angus steak on a Tuesday. :)

Normal price for the beers is about £2.20 a point, but if you go for the Steak Club deal, you can get two good-sized meals and two pints for less than fifteen quid. Might sound a lot, but I paid more than that for one 8oz steak on its own last week when I was in Glasgow (well, the company actually paid, but you get my drift...).

http://www.nottinghambrewery.co.uk/our_beers.html

Ages since I had a good booze-up. Odd times I have a quick pint with my eldest son, but normally sit and watch TV together with a couple of cans of whatever is on offer. We both prefer a decent Whisky these days and save up for a bottle of Chivas Regal at Christmas.

I remember the big bottles of Shippos Nut Brown. Every party had them.

My Dad reckoned Shippos bitter was the best local laxative going.

A few Hobgoblins bring a glow to my cheeks on a winters evening,

Ah, Nut Brown.

My dad used to send me to the off licence to get him a quart now and again. No quibbles about me only being a kid at the time, as they knew everyone locally.

Weapon of choice for parties for me, though, was a Party 7. :)

#11 My husbands tipple of choice too, Basfordred. In fact they are not readily available up here, in Moffat so we have to buy a stash and bring them up for our colleagues too!