What's Your Favourite Tipple??

My wife used to work at the White Horse Whisky bond when we lived in Scotland. Twice a year they would all get a free bottle, but it was the crap from the bottom of the vat.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No. I would describe it as 'eerily warming'. The more calvados - the more eerie and warming 

Alcohol

Posted Images

Basfordred # 100

We were over in Bushmills last week and had a tour of the Distillery. Watched the Jamesons whiskey being bottled and boxed up. Finished the tour with a wee dram but I'm not very keen on dark spirits, they make me shiver ....... any of the clear liquids are more to my taste, Gin, Vodka or Bacardi :cheers:

#102 Likewise LizzieM. I have been on several distillery tours and can never drink the free wee dram, but I absolutely love one of the liqueurs, Stags Breath. It is literally nectar being honeybased, really smooth, and does wonders for a sore throat. I always keep a bottle in now.

Me neither, can't drink whisky. Been on several distillary tours in Scotland, and Bushmills in Ireland, and also Guinness in Dublin, and had to give the samples away at the end. I do believe it was 2 full pints at the Guinness, which would have had me legless! [if I could have stomached it]

I very rarely drink any more. But I do enjoy a bottle of carling zest, treated me self to a couple of them the other week.

Or a bottle of bulmers.

& if I go out, its always a carling and black (only if it's bivric cordial, not that rank shwepps) or a G&T with a dash of lime!

• 1 year later...

Hot day: Dry Martini and lemonade in a tall glass with ice and lemon. Stirred, not shaken. or Lager & Lime in 1/2 glass

Cold day: :Tomato Juice and Worcestershire sauce or Stones Ginger wine & Canada dry

Any Day: The wife's tea. Champion !

• Upvote 1

I agree with Mme Bollinger -

"I drink champagne when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it - unless I'm thirsty. ~ Madame Lilly Bollinger"

• Upvote 2

Guinness when I want to drink a pint or a can of something. Port if I want something in a smaller glass. I only have it in the house over Christmas tho' as I can drink it like water. I am quite picky about what port I buy tho'.

• Upvote 1

Pianoman

When I was younger I couldnt stand port. It was Port and lemon for the old women. Each pub had a bottle of port that had been opened for months and was kept on the bar.

That was until I had my first mess night in the army. The bottle was passed (and never touched the table) and I took a sip, fearing the worst. It was heavenly.

Like you I have to be careful with port. Its odd but with almost any other drink, I know when to stop. I dont like being drunk at all, but merry is good. With any spirit, I know when that point has been reached, and rein it in. Can't do that with port.

Pianoman

When I was younger I couldnt stand port. It was Port and lemon for the old women. Each pub had a bottle of port that had been opened for months and was kept on the bar.

That was until I had my first mess night in the army. The bottle was passed (and never touched the table) and I took a sip, fearing the worst. It was heavenly.

Like you I have to be careful with port. Its odd but with almost any other drink, I know when to stop. I dont like being drunk at all, but merry is good. With any spirit, I know when that point has been reached, and rein it in. Can't do that with port.

I still remember who introduced me to port. It was the man who lived next door to my Grandmother on Minver Crescent. It was his daughters wedding I think. The port was Taylors. The only other port for me is Grahams and to be perfectly honest I can't tell the difference between the two. Cockburns is crap!

pianoman

Totally agree with Graham's and Taylor's port.

Actually Cockburn's Special Reserve this year is really quite nice. Cockburns provided overly sweet and sickly ports for years, but do seem to be catching up.

Other brands I like are Dow's and Nieukirk. (noit sure about the spelling for the latter) and are delicious.

We've had an unopened bottle of 1963 Taylor's Port in the cellar forever. A couple of years ago my husband noticed that the cork had been nibbled away, presumably by mice. We couldn't bring ourselves to throw it away so put a bottle stopper in it and kept it in the rack. The bottle is only about a third full, wonder if those mice had a headache ......

Wine isn't in the rack long enough in this house for mice to attack it.

• Upvote 1

Having said that there is one other port that I prefer to Taylors or Grahams and that is Sandeman. It is difficult to get tho' .