C & A was on Lister Gate where H & M are now, although H & M only occupy part of what was C & A. The other half was sold off as separate units.

Also, C & A had the place rebuilt in the early 70s; same location but different building.

This is the earlier C & A.

listergate1.jpg

And the later version when it had been rebuilt.

listergate2.jpg

C&A is still alive and well in much of Europe, in fact I walked past one in Cannes the other day. 

I bought a few things in the Lister Gate store in the 60s but was put off when I'd bought a woollen suit (jacket and mini skirt) and the first time I wore it I got a rash around my legs, above the knee.  I discovered there were tiny creatures living in the hem. Yuk!  It went straight back to the store for a refund.  Don't think I ever shopped in there again.  

I had a friend who was a window-dresser there. 

Most large cities throughout Europe have them. I've seen and frequented several in Germany ! 

• 3 years later...
On 4/15/2010 at 1:26 PM, Limey said:

You KNOW them? I dated Barbara for a short while! If you know how to contact her, let me know!

I worked at the store at the time and knew her father, but haven’t heard about her for many years.

Hi Celia a very warm welcome 

If you worked at Coats an Hats in the 60s we must have met at sometime.