What is the Nottingham connection?

Without googling (if you can)

1) Where and when (exact day please) was this taken?

2) What is the Nottingham connection?

scan0007.jpg

No prizes for guessing who the nipper in the pushchair is! :tongue:

I'd hazard a guess (From the cable cars in the background) that it's the Royal Scott arriving at Nottingham on sea . (Butlins, Skegness) around 1962

The Nottingham connection is that this locomotive,(4)6100 Royal Scot, was based at Nottingham Shed (16A) during the latter months of its working career.

However, this loco is not the original Royal Scot engine!

In 1933, when it was decided to send one of the class to tour America and Canada, the number and name were permanently exchanged with those of 6152 The King's Dragoon Guardsman

Cheers

Robt P.

We've been down this path before.

Skegness, 18th July 1963, piped into Butlins by a Scots Piper.

I have found a picture of it while in store at Nottingham shed, though the date must be wrong:

http://www.ralbrit.co.uk/location.php?loc=Midland%20Railway

It's restoration to steam has been a protracted affair, following trials on the WSR last year, it caught fire while on a low loader taking it back home.

Current status unknown, by the time it's back on the main line, classmate Scots Guardsmans boiler certificate will have probably run out. Oh, I note it's been painted in that silly crimson lake, hopefully very charred now, the only rebuilt 'Scot' to be painted in this scheme was 6170 'British Legion' formerly HP loco 'Fury'.

Nice one Firbeck, you are hereby awarded a virtual pint of Home Mild!

BTW, that link appears to be busted.

I often wonder if it was this event which kindled my later interest in steam; as I've said before I was too young to consciously remember it on BR. Would anyone know when steam disappeared from the Nottingham-Lincoln line?

Great bit of film Scriv, in colour too, I particularly like the Lincolnshire Road Car Bristol Lodekka bus you can pick out in the street.

Whats happening to Royal Scot at the moment is a complete mystery, here's a picture of it running for the first time in years at Blue Anchor Bay, ironically, just up the track from Butlins, Minehead, last Easter:

6100_260309_3_sje.jpg

It was supposed to pull it's first mainline train since the early 60's out of Paddington at the beginning of the month but this was cancelled and its not down for any mainline trips for the rest of the year. The company at Southall that have restored it have a naff website with no information available, I can only assume that something has gone wrong somewhere, perhaps there's an ownership dispute, it wouldn't surprise me.

• 2 years later...

I often wonder if it was this event which kindled my later interest in steam; as I've said before I was too young to consciously remember it on BR. Would anyone know when steam disappeared from the Nottingham-Lincoln line?

Only two years later !!! I'm pretty sure DMUs took over from steam on the Nottingham - Lincoln local trains in March 1958 (also Nottingham - Derby, Nottingham - Leicester - Birmingham, Nottingham - Chesterfield via Erewash Valley, but not Nottingham - Mansfield - Worksop). However steam remained for a while on certain Lincoln line trains. Elsewhere on this forum the famous Tamworth Mail has been mentioned - about 8pm from LIncoln, 9pm Nottingham to Derby (only calling at Trent) then on to Burton and Tamworth, to connect with the "West Coast Postal". It returned during the night, calling at Nottingham about 2.30 am I think. In addition there was the Birmingham - Cleethorpes express (a proper 9 coach affair). Started Birmingham at 4.50pm via Leicester to Nottingham 6.58. It then called at Rolleston Junction (until the Southwell branch closed) Newark, Lincoln St Marks, Market Rasen, Barnetby, Habrough, Grimsby Town, Docks and Cleethorpes arriving at about 9.30. Often double-headed from Birmingham to Nottingham - usually a Black 5 and the Immingham B1 (61374 was a regular performer) that carried on single-handed to Cleethorpes. In the opposite direction it left Cleethorpes at 7am, reaching Nottingham about 9.30. On Summer Saturdays, it was extended to/from Exmouth via Bath, the Somerset & Dorset line to Templecombe, then Sidmouth Junction. That was an all-day marathon - about 11 hours all told I think.

• 1 month later...

I clearly remember the "Tamworth Mail"; it passed Thurgarton at 20.40 and on summer evenings when I was young it was the cue for me to come inside and get ready for bed. I could see the line between Thurgarton and Bleasby from my bedroom window, though it was too far away to discern much more than the number of carriages (normally four with a GUV sometimes) and to be able to tell if it was a "bonnetted" loco (usually a 37 but the odd 45 did appear) or a "flat-front" i.e. 25 or 31.

Apart from the passenger traffic, there was coal to Staythorpe, fly-ash from same and probably the other Trent Valley power stations, and oil from Immingham. Up to the 1950's the goods yard at Thurgarton despatched sand and gravel from the Hoveringham quarry; here's a pic of my late father driving the loading shovel there.

scan0001.jpg

There was another steam hauled train on the Lincoln line for a year or two after general dieselisation - this was the 3.05 (pm) Lincoln - Derby, which was limited stop from Lincoln to Nottingham, then I think non-stop to Trent, Sawley Junction and Derby. It left Nottingham at 4.03. I was at Long Eaton Grammar School from 1960 to 66, but lived right by Sawley Junction station. On games afternoons it was just possible to belt down the black path to Trent and go home on this train. The motive power was strange - often an ex-Great Central A5 4-6-2 tank, but sometimes a Horwich crab 2-6-0.