Ventured into Nottingham, for the first time in many months.

Primarily seeking a few gardening items, in anticipation of the improving weather.

Made my annual investment in 250g of Iron, for the later plant push, and have signed the usual declaration not to reveal that it's actually lawn moss-killer (ferrous sulphate), at about 20% of the price for such!

Perhaps those who are more familiar with the current City scene can tell me why the Broad Marsh Centre becomes more and more unkempt and dirty? Nottstalgians could be pleased if it eventually reverts back to it's notorious dodgy 50's/60's reputation! Logically, the next stage should be the rebuilding of the superb bluebrick GC viaduct...

Noticed that every alternate vehicle is now some type of multi-coloured bus, carrying an average of three passengers! How does the minimal fare income cover the loss, thinks I? Perhaps when the enormous subsidies are paid...who provides the subsidy?...could be the 30 folks who aren't riding on the bus!

Cheers

Robt P

Logically, the next stage should be the rebuilding of the superb bluebrick GC viaduct...

Cheers

Robt P

Can someone explain to me why it was ever knocked down in the first place, then replaced with another viaduct, it never made sense to me, it must have cost a fortune. I also thought it had been registered as a site of special scientific interest because of all the rare plants growing on it that came from seeds that fell off of passing railway wagons.

What happened to them, replanted in the Arboretum or more than likely ending up in a landfill site with the rest of those lovely engineering bricks.

Aha!! a train question that I can answer (Well partially anyway) that Firbeck don't know nowt abaht (sic)

The plants were transfered to the big hole at the back of the Viccy Centre, to join loads of other rarities down there. I know 'cause I got roped in to help somehow!!

cheers.gif

The demolition of some of the viaducts (mainly the one which is now occupied by the new courts) was done by Watts, whose yard was on Porchester Road. I knew Dave Watts slightly, as he and Roger Radford (who owned Thomas Long) used to drink in the Red Lion at Thurgarton.

Dave told me that he reckoned it took him longer to knock those viaducts down than it took the GCR to build them. He reckoned they'd have stood at least another 100 years with absolutely zero maintenence, that's how well they were built.

I think they were knocked down many many moons before the tram was even thought of!!

Not so...

The GC viaduct was in situ well after the NET detailed plans were revealed...recall there was outcry at the time over the virtue of demolishing the quality viaduct to accommodate an inferior version, at a similar elevation.

Cheers

Robt P.

Which bridge are we talking about here , cause the one I am on about was demolished long before I left. 1990 or there abouts!!

• 5 months later...

Are they on about the viaduct that ran alongside Broad marsh and onto Weekday Cross, thats the only one that fits the bill

Rog

Seeing this thread for the first time 'cause it's been bumped...........

Are we talking about viaducts or bridges?

I assumed it was originally talking about the old GC viaduct which went through Broad Marsh, almost parallel with Sussex Street. It came out of the tunnel from Vic Station, through Broad Marsh, and over the the Midland station; it included several bridges including one over Cliff Road, Canal Street, Station Street

I knew the whole area well because if we went into town by bus we ended up in the old Broad Marsh bus station, and the railway was still operating

The bridge mentioned had to be the one over Canal Street? demolished in I think the 1980's? pretty certain I walked over it it the late 70's/early 80's?, know I did late 1960's when all GCR bridges/tunnels/embankments intact, well at least as far as the trent, gave up then as knackered!

The bridge mentioned had to be the one over Canal Street? demolished in I think the 1980's? pretty certain I walked over it it the late 70's/early 80's?, know I did late 1960's when all GCR bridges/tunnels/embankments intact, well at least as far as the trent, gave up then as knackered!

That'll be this 'un

Bridge

That's the one I was on about. I helped clear the 'rare' plants that had 'hitched a lift' on the various trains,to the big hole at the back of the Viccy centre from there before it was demolished.

Thanks for confirming I haven't gone potty (Well not quite!!) yet.