What's happened to the "Evening" Post

Don`t get the Post here but I do buy it whenever I visit. Never know when I might recognise somebody in it - never do though.

However, I understand that it`s owned by the same people who own the Derby Telegraph - formally the Derby Evening Telegraph.

It seems that the traditional local evening newspaper is dying a death.

Buy an Evening Post ocasionally but not often now. Certainly no longer the newspaper it used to be. To me it lacks drive and investigative know how and no longer carries a contraversial comment. Perhaps something to do with the lack of income caused by falling advertising revenue. Used to scan the pages of adverts, used cars, fishing tackle, electrical items looking for something interesting but only ever bought once. That was a Bush record player with a multichanger facilility. I think you could stack 10 vinyl records and listen to the clang when the next one dropped. Still have the records but years since they were played.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I believe the Post is now printed in Derby, I will say no more

I'm new to this site, but I've been lurking and watching for a while. And I've been living in Nottingham for years, so I know summat about it.

The Evening Post has been printed in Derby for a very long time (like, years) but they never wanted to admit it because obviously it wouldn't look very good as it's supposed to be a local paper.

All Posts used to come in vans down the A52 before they became local, which is a bit of a joke

I can remember when it wasnt tabloid size, it used to be huge made your arms ache trying to hold it,

Know what you mean Carltongal, I remember sitting on those long seats upstairs on the south Notts bus to Clifton from Broad marsh when everyone was trying to read the broadsheet post, damn near impossible with your arms held that far apart to hold the paper and the devils own job to turn the page

Rog

LOL - I ONLY remember the post as a broadsheet! Used to read it in our front room kneeling on the floor! Holding it up was just too much trouble! I bought several cars and motorcycles from the classified section - always best on Friday!

Do you remember the "late" post on Friday and Saturday nights? (Or was it just Saturday) which, IIRC was on pink paper?

I also remember the vendors that rode a bicycle around to sell newspapers. In Long Eaton, the chap that worked the area I lived was known as "Fudge". He had a very distinct (and penetrating) call of "Post, Evening Post", then, almost in a whisper "Telegraph" - I guess we know who he supported!

There was always a late "City" edition as far as I remember Eric, I can't remember it being pink though. You may be mixing it up with the Football Post on a Saturday , which was pink.

Thats right pink for the football results.

I seem to recall a yellow edition too?

maybe an extra?

sue x

Iremember the pink paper didnt look right somehow

Thats it! It was the Football Post on Saturday that was pink! I vaguely remember a yellow one too - but have no idea what it was.

During the Christmas holidays (from school) I would work overtime at the Co-Op, and on Saturday evenings, the under-manager would send me out to get a Football Post from "Fudge". Was always an interesting search locating Fudge from his shouts - riding the Co-Op order bike! Normally, the Co-Op closed at 2:00pm on Saturdays but had extended hours leading up to Christmas.

Happy days!

Remembering when it was a broadsheet and made yer arms ache.....

I've actually still got an example of one from back then. I kept a load of newspapers from the day of the moon landings (July 69, which makes me old) and one of them is an Evening Post from that day.

The interesting bit is looking at things like

the job adverts - £20 per week as an electrician;

houses for sale (£1,500 in Arnold):

cars - a 3 yr old Ford Anglia for £250,

what was on tv in those days; Rolf Harris

who played for Notts cricket in those days; Bolus, Stead

being fined £5 for being drunk;

Seems like a dream

Funny enough , Rolf Harris had the Christmas number one that year with "Two Little Boys" !!

We have that particular edition my hubby is a great collector i will have to look at it again, the good old days, cannot remember how much the Post cost back then but wasnt it about 3d?

Thats it! It was the Football Post on Saturday that was pink! I vaguely remember a yellow one too - but have no idea what it was.

During the Christmas holidays (from school) I would work overtime at the Co-Op, and on Saturday evenings, the under-manager would send me out to get a Football Post from "Fudge". Was always an interesting search locating Fudge from his shouts - riding the Co-Op order bike! Normally, the Co-Op closed at 2:00pm on Saturdays but had extended hours leading up to Christmas.

Happy days!

I thought the 'Football Post'was white, or off white, and the headline had all the mascots of the local teams walking across; Magpie etc, with a strange Notts Forest character banging his head on the lettering. I think the 'Football News' was pink and a larger paper.

We have that particular edition my hubby is a great collector i will have to look at it again, the good old days, cannot remember how much the Post cost back then but wasnt it about 3d?

I've just had a look at the edition I was referring to.

Monday July 21st 1969.

Cost 5d

I thought the 'Football Post'was white, or off white, and the headline had all the mascots of the local teams walking across; Magpie etc, with a strange Notts Forest character banging his head on the lettering. I think the 'Football News' was pink and a larger paper.

The Football Post was latterly for many years printed on white stock but before that definitely a pink newspaper. My understanding is that there were once TWO football papers in Nottingham running concurrently - one printed from the Nottingham Express offices that was a rival of the Football Post. This might explain the 'Football News' or even indeed Limey's 'yellow' newspaper. I have no knowledge of this though.

Certainly exactly as I remember it...

IIRC, the two papers ran together until late 50's/early 60's?

The cartoon mascots were quite well known in their day...being not just the Forester, Magpie and Stag but the Derby Ram, Chesterfield Spireite and Lincoln Imp too.

A further character, drawn in a similar style, related to the long-running marketing slogan 'Ivor Thirst for Shipstones Ales'.

Cheers

Robt P.

... with a strange Notts Forest character banging his head on the lettering

Wasn't that character called Garibaldi? viz Garibaldi and his followers - the Red Shirts - of the Italian Risorgimento.

I think I have mentioned this before,but my dad used to sell evening post on bank holiday Mondays in the 50s 60s and early 70s.This of course was when shops all closed for the day on bank holiday Mondays and if you wanted a paper you had to go to town but no buses either or find one of the vendors who were out selling. each vendor would have his or her own route .Dads was from Nottingham down Colwick rd onto the Old Vale rd into Netherfield up Station Dd down Conway Rd to cricket field up Burton rd to parks corner back onto Station Rd to Carlton square down Burton rd to Parks corner along Gedling rd to the church then down Shearing hill back onto Burton rd down to Burton Joyce and on to Lowdom and Gunthorpe and then back to Netherfield quite some route one day i will work out the mileage but it was a b---y long way.No loop rd in them days so you had to take the long routes .

He used to sell about 100 bundles a time but would carry up to three bundles a time the others would be dropped off at friends or custermers houses for him on rout so when he had sold one lot hopefully he would be near the next lot. He did this in all weathers but I seem to remember it would either be very hot or raining heavily.He would carry two big canvas paper bags ne on each side crossed over a bag over his sholder for the money plus more papers over his arm,for those of you who dont know my dad was only 4ft 8 inches tall and as broard as he was long just like me so this was no mean feat. at the end of the day he would come home and count all his money out on the table I used to help do this some times sill like counting money perhaps because it rings back these memories , used to think it was a bank.

I can remember when it was 3d and gradually went up to 6d hence when we were counting their would be lots of 3 pence pieces and 6 penny bits as well as pennys shillings two shillings and of the old half crown. but dad could tell you exactly what he should have for the papers he had sold and what his shear would be i think it was something like one pence per paper plus any tips he got when the paper was 5d a lot of customers would give him six pence/

• Upvote 1