Embankment Photographer

Does anyone remember the photographer's who used to work the Embankment in the summer? Would they have been freelance or work for someone else?? I also remember the deck chair man he must have made a fortune when it was hot. We used to go down Trent Bridge in the summer,& then to the Town Arms in the evening in our best clothes............ oh happy innocent days

Well Mick I was just going to say it couldn't be them as it was too long ago. But on reading their advert it say's they have been taking photo's for over 30 years,so it may well have been them!!

• 8 months later...

You wouldn't make much money now, hiring deck chairs down the embankment, even if its red hot, too many geese and geese crap everywhere, they ought to have a cull. I remember going down there as a teenager to try to pull the birds, it was packed out then (early 60's), you could hire rowing boats on the river or take a trip in one of two motor launches to Colwick Pleasure Park, as a kid you thought you had gone miles, actually it was just around the corner, incidently the two motor cruises were used in the evacuation of troops at Dunkirk.

.....or take a trip in one of two motor launches to Colwick Pleasure Park, as a kid you thought you had gone miles, actually it was just around the corner, incidently the two motor cruises were used in the evacuation of troops at Dunkirk....

You could indeed....at that time the destination was known as 'Colwick Sands'.

My maternal grandmother was from the Brookhouse family, who owned two of the Trent/Colwick cruisers....had many a free ride in the 50's!

Her nephew, John Brookhouse, was one of the Dunkirk crew.

The other cruiser was owned by the Trevethick family.....

Later addition to the fleet was a large ex-Yarmouth sightseeing boat named 'Pride of the Yare', complete with a rather garish yellow livery.

An incident from that time that I recall was a courtesy visit of an RNLI lifeboat from, of all places...Aberdeen!

Reported that it almost took the wrong turning in darkness just north of Newark - which would have certainly resulted in it's reduction to matchwood at Cromwell Weir.

Cromwell Weir was the later scene of a tragedy when 12/14? Naval Cadet rowers lost their lives, whilst out on an exercise.

Cheers

Robt P.

Yes indeedy, They were the competion.

I worked for Treverthick on a sunday afternoon hiring out the boats.

He had a houseboat we used to mash tea in.

I worked there with a mate 'Big Geoff' (Garner)

You will find more on Trevithick by Nottstalgia Search

Image Courtesy LENTON TIMES

post-11-1137959448_thumb.jpg