I have been asked by the guy writing a film for the BBC about The Sex Pistols Trial which took place in Nottingham in 1977, to try and find anyone who met them/saw them during their time here.

I understand they visited a number of radio stations, it was before my time on Trent, so if you heard them, let me know please.

In particular he has asked if I can trace the manager of Virgin Records when they were on King Street in Nottingham.

His name is Chris Searle, I may be wrong but I seem to recall him being at Selectadisc at some time.

Can you help?

Replies either here or via pm, whichever you prefer.

Thanks.

Anyhoos, i still cannot genuinely recall Virgin being on King St, apart from anything else, surely the shop space was too small? It certainly was when i was there when it was Dixons.

Can anyone else confirm/deny this was used by Virgin.........?

I hope you told him there was never a Virgin Records on King Street !!

Here would be better.

Was there a Swadlincote connection for one of the Sex Pistols?

Yes there was, and very funny too. John Lydon told me that he was very surprised to see that the prosecutor's sirname at the trial was Ritchie. Sid Vicious's family, apparently, came from Nottingham. And the family name was Ritchie.

All the best, James Maw.

It's a long time ago now but they descended on the Flying Horse to celebrate their victory. Upstairs bar if I remember correctly.

• 6 months later...

Hi Craig

I mention the trial in my book about Nottinghamshire club the Grey Topper

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/united11/Topper_Cover.JPG

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/united11/greytopper.html

Out next year, just putting finishing touches to it.

Radio Trent used to broadcast from there, in fact a CD by a metal band called Nutz recorded there by Radio Trent has just been released.

http://www.marketsquarerecords.co.uk/store/system/store.htm

That has me wondering what else might be in the Radio Trent archives from the Grey Topper? If there’s any recordings from 1979 when the likes of The Pretenders, Adam and the Ants and The Specials played there it could be gold dust, but my guess is they shyed away from the punk nights. How would I find out, emailed the Radio Trent website but had no reply grrr.

Blogsy, as mentioned in the PM to you, it is highly doubtful that the current Radio Trent at Chapel Bar will have any original Trent stuff archived, when I still worked there when it was in it's birthplace, Castle Gate, tons of stuff was " outed"

Coincidence time here, only last Monday, I met up again with the main man as far as Nottingham agencies go, Tony Sherwood, after many years of non contact, and it was he who did the bookings for The Grey Topper, putting on all the big names there,

Again, as mentioned, unless you have already made contact with him, I shall give him your contact details, just let me know.

Regards

Craig.

• 1 month later...

I have been asked by the guy writing a film for the BBC about The Sex Pistols Trial which took place in Nottingham in 1977, to try and find anyone who met them/saw them during their time here.

I understand they visited a number of radio stations, it was before my time on Trent, so if you heard them, let me know please.

In particular he has asked if I can trace the manager of Virgin Records when they were on King Street in Nottingham.

His name is Chris Searle, I may be wrong but I seem to recall him being at Selectadisc at some time.

Can you help?

Replies either here or via pm, whichever you prefer.

Thanks.

You probably know by now that the manager's name is Chris Seale (no 'r')

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I reckon I've missed a huge part of the British rock culture. I missed all the punk era being overseas and South Africa at the time didn't allow albums from British rock bands never mind punk. Imagine my surprise the first time me 'n the missus got off the bus in slab square in 1980 and saw all these punk rockers with mohicans and purple hair with pins stuck through they're cheeks for the first time. It didn't go on for much longer after that although there are still a few die-hards kicking about today.

• 3 years later...