Cromwell lock tragedy

That would've been the Newcastle Arms when you visited. If my memory serves me correctly, originally a Shippo's pub; I only ever went in there a few times when i lived in Southwell, preferred the Rodney.

12 hours ago, Scriv said:

That would've been the Newcastle Arms when you visited. If my memory serves me correctly, originally a Shippo's pub; I only ever went in there a few times when i lived in Southwell, preferred the Rodney.

I forgot to mention that one and my wife’s uncle used to be the landlord!

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I forgot to mention that one and my wife’s uncle used to be the landlord!

Understandable Phil; it was pretty much the "forgotten pub" of Southwell, not meaning that it was a dump or anything but it was about the only one that wasn't really on a main road.

Southwell hasn't actually fared too badly for losing pubs compared to similar towns of comparable size; happy to be corrected but only the Shoulder of Mutton and one other further down Westgate (whose name escapes me) have closed permanently in my memory. There was the Portfield on King street but I think that closed before my drinking years started; for a few years I lived near there in the flat above the Co-op.

Southwell has lost The Grapes and The Nelson (more recently called The Dumbles) at Westhorpe and the Shoulder of Mutton, facing Nottingham Road. I’ve never heard of The Portfield during my time. The Newcastle is now The Last Whistle and the White Lion on the Fiskerton Rd. corner is now The Old Coach House. I’ve fond memories of the Shoulder of Mutton. They used to serve beer drawn from the cask out of enamel jugs. I used to go in there with Mike Peters from Orchard Close. You may have known him. He married (second marriage) the daughter of the postmistress at Thurgarton. I’ve been in all of the Southwell pubs. Very occasionally all of them on the same night when there used to be twelve or thirteen. Couldn’t do that now! You probably did the same!

That’s right, The Portland Arms. The Grapes was/is a sort of antiques shop but may now be closed. I’m going to the Old Coach House (White Lion) tonight, there may be some old boys (older than me) with memories. The Shoulder of Mutton, now a house, was recently sold and looked interesting.

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Southwell has lost The Grapes and The Nelson (more recently called The Dumbles) at Westhorpe and the Shoulder of Mutton, facing Nottingham Road. I’ve never heard of The Portfield during my time. The Newcastle is now The Last Whistle and the White Lion on the Fiskerton Rd. corner is now The Old Coach House. I’ve fond memories of the Shoulder of Mutton. They used to serve beer drawn from the cask out of enamel jugs. I used to go in there with Mike Peters from Orchard Close. You may have known him. He married (second marriage) the daughter of the postmistress at Thurgarton. I’ve been in all of the Southwell pubs. Very occasionally all of them on the same night when there used to be twelve or thirteen. Couldn’t do that now! You probably did the same!

The Grapes, that was the one I couldn't remember, thank you. Yes, I heard from Mike a few years ago, he and Judith (nee Reeves) live out in Norfolk. Her mother, Margaret, was my sister's godmother.

The George and Dragon , as it then was, was the first pub I actually got served in back in 1976, just before it was taken over and re-named. I was at that time a fifth year at the Minster Grammar, would certainly have struggled to pass for 18 but the landlord was an old boy and despite needing a bit of persuasion i got my half of Magnet, all i could afford but it won me 50 pence off one of my schoolmates cos he'd wagered me i';d be refused!

Ian, as far as i'm aware (Phil will probably confirm) the Wheatsheaf is still going, unless the one you mention is an earlier version. It's just topside of the market place on King Street. Yes it was the Portland not the Portfield.

• Like 2
Just now, IAN123. said:

Sometimes the grey matter don't work Scriv....rather be gassing about Eaton 2 speed back axles etc..

Same era mate.As an aside, did you know that the old Hoveringham Gravels wrecker has been found? It's currently sitting in a field near Telford; it's available for sale, it does run but naturally requires a complete rebuild.I was rather tempted myself but, depsite naving a yard big enough to take it and the asking price being reasonable, I couldn't fit it in my barn and it would be a money pit too far.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, philmayfield said:

Scriv, The Wheatsheaf in Southwell is still active. I met up with Mike Peters and his brother Steve in The Waggon last summer. It’s a small world. Is Richard Scrivener at Fiskerton related to you? There were lots of Scriveners in the area

Yes, Richard (or Fred as we both know him) is my second cousin. Still in the motorsports business as far as I know; haven't spoken to him for a couple of years as like me he's rarely home.

19 minutes ago, Scriv said:

Yes, Richard (or Fred as we both know him) is my second cousin. Still in the motorsports business as far as I know; haven't spoken to him for a couple of years as like me he's rarely home.

Some years ago, when I built a Caterham 7, he was approved by the Caterham factory to check the quality of the build and sign it off. He lived just over the railway crossing at Fiskerton - I think he lived with an uncle. I’ve not seen him for a long time.

22 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Some years ago, when I built a Caterham 7, he was approved by the Caterham factory to check the quality of the build and sign it off. He lived just over the railway crossing at Fiskerton - I think he lived with an uncle. I’ve not seen him for a long time.

He owns our great-uncle Bert's house which has been in the family for over a century. Really glad you mentioned hin because, purely on the offchance, after I saw your post I phoned him just now, caught him at home for once and we've just had a good natter and catch-up. He did ask if you owned a Caterham.

3 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Not got a Caterham now Scriv. I had to sell my Lotus Elise last year as I was struggling to get in and out of it. I think a Caterham might be even more difficult. I might just give it one more chance though now you've mentioned it!

it always puzzled me how Fred managed it! He's not the lightest built of blokes is he?

11 minutes ago, trophydave said:

Scriv,If you were at the Minster in the 70s you might remember my dad,Gordon Pearson.

Wrong school mate but i certainly knew "Pedro"; he taught maths at the Edward cludd school. Am i right in thinking your aunt married Jack Paling, who owned the dairy in Lowdham? 

2 hours ago, trophydave said:

Ah,good point about the schools.I had forgotten that Edward Cludd and the Minster were seperate back then.Jack is my uncle,they live down south nowdays.

As for Southwell pubs,I used to spend a fair bit of time in the White Lion in the mid to late 90s.

I knew Jack and Margaret. He actually introduced my Mum and Dad to each other at a village dance not long after the war, they were long-time friends; our house was always Jack's last point of call on the milk round before he went back to Lowdham, as he usually had a cuppa with mum, and it was inevitably where anyone in the village who'd missed him would phone and ask for him to leave their order there for collection. Your father used to help him out sometimes during the school holidays. The tradition continued with Don Baldwin and later the Northern Dairies drivers Bill and Chuck for many years after Jack retired.

If you'd pass on my best regards to Jack and Margaret next time you speak to them I'd be grateful. i've suddenly realised, we've had this conversation before, on the "Milkmen" thread!