cafes and pubs for old Rockers

It could have been , he moved there from working on the railways in Colwick.

IMMSC he did ha 'bike' but it was a long while back (I was only about 5 !!)

It could have been , he moved there from working on the railways in Colwick.

IMMSC he did ha 'bike' but it was a long while back (I was only about 5 !!)

On the Boots sight we worked for Carrier Engineering putting in the ducting, if it was the same Frank we were sent to the Humber works in Coventry during their holiday fortnight erecting a new automatic spraying line. Later on I met up with him again while working for Young Austin and Young of Canal Street. the bike was a 650cc Ariel Huntsmaster. Ashley will probably remember him.

I just remembered, he smoked Capstan Full Strength.

No, but my dad did! "Stan the Painter"

He originally worked for "Industrial Paints" (I think) - they did all the paintwork on the steel. They wouldn't let him go up on the steelwork, so he did all the signwriting on the walls, piping, etc. After it was commissioned, he got the job as site painter with the CEGB.

The men who painted the steel,were called toshers,(this wasn't an insult by a toothless critic), They had a dangerous job,notwithstanding the long term effects of the red lead.

During the short time I was at Ratcliffe, a brickie died after falling 10ft backwards off a scaffold(no hand rail),and a Geordie fell 270ft off the steel.

The final straw was when a welder slipped on the steel, he didn't fall but his welding rods did, they fell like arrows among the gang I was working with and stuck several inches into the mud. Nobody was hit, but it was enough for me, I jacked.

I remember dad talking about the chap falling off the steel, and the welding rod incident! After commissioning, there was a man killed during an outage when one of the high-pressure washers used to clean the boiler hit him.

• 1 year later...

As a pubs topic anyone recall the victoria inn at beeston? they had a bear and I think a puma along with monkeys and other animals in the back garden! think the bear caused it's closure with it's all night noise (not sure what you'd call it? barking, baying?) but the puma war the "star" , swear blind it used to eye up children as potential meals!

• 2 months later...

WHEN I GOT HOME FROM WHITE HART LAST NIGHT I DECIDED TO LOOK AT THIS POST AGAIN AS JONNIE COOMS WAS TALKING ABOUT GOING WITH OLD ACE TO WITE POST CRONA BAR ACE CAFE AND BUSY BEE CAFES , SPUR OF THE MOMENT JOBS SOMEONE WOULD SAY COME ON LETS GO AND JUMP ON THE BIKES AND GO NO MATTER WHAT TIME OF DAY OR NIGHT IT WAS ARRIVING SOMETIMES AT ACE CAFE IN LONDON 3 IN THE MORNING A CUP OF COFFEE AND RIDE BACK TO NOTTINGHAM MAYBE STOP AT A CAFE WHEN THEY GOT BACK FOR BREAKFAST AND A DRINK AND THEN IT WOULD BE OFF TO WORK OF OFF HOME AND SLEEP ALL DAY.

THE OTHER THING THAT STRUCK ME RE READING THIS THREAD WAS THE CONVERSATION ABOUT SAMBO CLIMBING THE MAJOR OAK ON ONE OF THE VISITS TO SHERWOOD FOREST , AT THE MOMENT ROCKERS REUNION HAS A PHOTO OF SAID GUY PERCH IN THAT TREE WITH ALL THE CROWDS INCLUDING SOME OLD ACES LOOKING UP AT HIM THIS OF COURSE WAS WELL BEFORE THE PUT IN THE FENCE AROUND THE TREE TO STOP ANYONE FROM GETTING WITHIN 10 FT OF IT OR PERHAPS IT WAS BECAUSE OF THINGS LIKE THIS I DONT KNOW

That's right Babs, the Cona Bar at Long Eaton was a regular venue for a short run out.

On Saturday nights at the El Toreador, after a night at the Turf Tavern, we would decide where we would go, mostly it would be the Robin Hood cafe on the A614, then on to the Blue Star? at Blythe, and sometimes on to Doncaster, I can't remember the name of the cafe in Donny.

Other times we would head south, we would join the M1 at Rugby and travel maybe 40 or 50 miles to the end. Then it was a fair distance to the Busy Bee cafe, arriving at 2am or so. From there we would go to the Ace Cafe on the North Circular, and then to the West End, Buck House or just bomb around the Smoke.

We had lots of adventures. I remember one time we went to Soho, we parked our bikes in Nottingham Place, that seemed an easy to remember place. As we walked along, two coppers told us that we should turn back as there were thousands of mods in Soho that night.

This we did, we mounted our bikes and headed for the mods, twenty Aces up against several thousand mods, that seemed fair odds. We drove through the streets of Soho fast in low gear, scattering the mods who were walking in the road, while the some chased them along the pavements too. The chick on my pillion managed to grab a bowler hat off one of them. Then back to the Ace.

Next time you see Mick Marriot, ask him about the time he was arrested while on the fence at Buckingham Palace at 4 in the morning while shouting advice on sexual techniques to the Duke of Edinburgh.

in whitehart tonigh for the band jiggery folkery mick will more than likely be in and i ask him about it typical mick

I think this was the Kona Cafe on Derby Road in Long Eaton. I well remember a line of cafe racers being parked outside.

It may actually have been the "Kona Bar Cafe" - we referred to it as the "kaf"!

JUST GOT IN SAW MICK SAID TO HIM WHATS THIS I HEAR ABOUT YOU BEING THE OFFICIAL SEX ADVISER TO THE DUKE OF EDINBOUROUGH FIRST ANSWER WHOS THE DUKE OF EDINBOROUGH TOLD HIM QUEENS HUSBAND MICK WHO TOLD YOU THAT DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ON ABOUT EXPLAINED YOUR POST OLD ACE, AND HE SAID THAT MUST HAVE BEEN WHEN I WAS VERY YOUNG AND YOU MUST HAVE A GOOD MEMORY OLD ACE CAUSE I HAD FORGOTTEN ALL ABOUT THAT AND THEN BURST OUT LAUGHING.

• 5 years later...
On 2010-4-29 at 6:59 PM, Ashley said:

Bet it was just the once at The Eagle, the night of the infamous bus trip? they never did find out who nicked their carpet! As Basford based pre 18 used to go in cafe at Bulwell Market, only names I remember were Elijah Day, Pat Hutchinson and Brian Exton, also one on Annesley Rd Hucknall, someone named Chet? a pole? owned that, later had one opposite Basford Gasworks Gate, a later owner was murdered in it, his wife did it then locked body in ouside bog, and cleared off to Ireland, only found when chemist at shop next door complained re the smell (and blue bottles the size of sparrows!)

I remember that trip to the Eagle!  And no, it wasn't me who nicked the carpet!

• 1 year later...
On 8/22/2010 at 1:53 AM, DJ360 said:

Hi!

I remember Brian Exton well, both his shop in Coventry Road and the later one in Carey Road. I bought various bit off him for my Royal Enfield Crusader Sport.

I well remember the Goldie. Everything that wasn't either rubber or leather was polished alloy or chrome. I lusted after that machine but since I only had a prov license and no money it was all a bit pointless. The story I heard was that it was built for show purposes (though not, as I understood it, by Brian.) I was told he acquired it and was selling it on, but wouldn't swear to that.

What I would swear to though is that it was a 350 goldie, not a 500. I know it was damaged in an accident shortly afterwards. The story I heard was that he was pulling out of a sidestreet and parked delivery wagon or summat reversed over him/it.

Col

Yes, you're correct DJ, it was a 350, There's an article about Extons in this months Classic Bike, with a pic of the Goldie.

• Like 1

Thaks TBI. Any chance of a link to the article?

Col

• 3 years later...

Hello name is Vic I was there at Sheds Jacks and Robins cafe in Beeston in the 60's, anyone remember me I had a Royal Enfield Constellation  sometimes with a Steib sidecar... I'm living in Bulgaria right now...Vic

MEONCONNY (2).JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I always have an interest in motorbikes from that era because my dad was a motorbike owner (but wasn't a biker...in any way). I grew up with them and remember the names and models, so I may well have been a pillion passenger on something very similar to that photo.

And there's a nice period touch with the Austin Somerset in the background - I remember them as well.

Welcome to Nottstalgia Victor, we have a member here who use to travel across to Beeston in the 60s to a club, to meet the local ladies. I am sure he will be on soon to recount some of his adventures in Beeston. I use to work in Beeston in the mid 60s and again in the early 90s, I went there recently first time for 20 odd years, I was lost for a while the place has changed so much , I was unable to recognise some areas. Please tell us about some of your memories from your time there.