cafes and pubs for old Rockers

come on all you old rockers and mods out there tell us all about the old cafe and pubs you went to in the sixties i no that some have been mentioned breifly already but many more still have not had a mention. i will jog your memories with a few i used and remember.

WHITE HART LENTON

GREYGOOSE GEDLING

CAVENDISH CARLTON

THE CARLTON HOTEL

ELTORIODOR

TRUDYS CARLTON HILL

GAY CAFE

SHEDS BEESTON

JACKS BEESTON

ROBINS QUEENS RD BEESTON

WHITEPOST FARNSFIELD

RIVERSIDE CAFE GUNTHORPE

THE SHIP SKEGGY

THE EAGLE MABLETHORPE

HERE ARE JUST A FEW TO GET YOU THINKING.

Bet it was just the once at The Eagle, the night of the infamous bus trip? they never did find out who nicked their carpet! As Basford based pre 18 used to go in cafe at Bulwell Market, only names I remember were Elijah Day, Pat Hutchinson and Brian Exton, also one on Annesley Rd Hucknall, someone named Chet? a pole? owned that, later had one opposite Basford Gasworks Gate, a later owner was murdered in it, his wife did it then locked body in ouside bog, and cleared off to Ireland, only found when chemist at shop next door complained re the smell (and blue bottles the size of sparrows!)

I seem to recall that the cafe at Bulwell Market was the Penguin.

Sometimes on a saturday night we would leave the Robin Hood at Farnsfield and go on to the Blue Star at Blyth. Other saturdays we would head south to the Busy Bee and then The Ace Cafe.

One Sunday afternoon the Aces decided to go to the Cona Bar cafe in Long Eaton, For some reason myself, Jimmy Robbo, and Mick Leivers were a long way ahead of the pack. On Station Road past the speedway track I was flat in third on my 650cc Ajay, changed to top and held it open(the road was empty).A beat bobby appeared, he was near the left hander that goes over the bridge, he stood in the road waving me down. I made my intentions clear by moving to the wrong side of the road and maintaining my speed. He moved to the white line,and took off his cape and waved that at me.

When I passed him I was almost in the gutter on the wrong side of the road as he had continued toward the pavement. He also threw his cape at me, fortunately it missed me and the bike. As I was hard over round the lefthander I looked back to see very angry copper trying to get my number, and then Jimmy and Mick passing either side of him at speed and very close.

We three didn't go to the Cona Bar we carried on. The rest of the Aces, not knowing what had occurred did go there and were all hauled off to the cells. they were told that they would be held there until they told the cops who we three were. Needless to say nobody said a dickybird, and they were released about teatime.

Yes you're right, can remember a copper one night throwing his torch at Ernie Daft on the boulevard, Were you there the time we went to Sherwood Forest (later years)? Eugene and I think Billy Gilbert were having photos took, went blasting off down road, can't remember who was taking photo but he got ready, then from nowhere out of middle of the woods plod arrived on a pushbike and stood waiting for them! got shock of his life when the pair of them came back as arranged side by side flat on the tanks (rider prone as they said in Motorcycle Mechanics road tests) at about 10mph so good pics could be got! the copper just put his book away. never said a word and cycled off

I wasn't on that sherwood forest trip, but remenber the one when, after turning off the A614 towards Edwinstowe, we came to crossroads with a copper on point duty. When he saw the line od bikes approaching he put up his hand to stop us. We all accelerated and passed him an alternate sides. If you can imagine someone doing the hoola hoop, that was what the copper looked like.

All except Sambo parked up in Edwinstowe, he went scrambling through the forest to the Major Oak, and then he climbed up it.

Sad to report that I heard that Ernie passed away a couple of years ago.

come on all you old rockers and mods out there tell us all about the old cafe and pubs you went to in the sixties i no that some have been mentioned breifly already but many more still have not had a mention. i will jog your memories with a few i used and remember.

WHITE HART LENTON

GREYGOOSE GEDLING

CAVENDISH CARLTON

THE CARLTON HOTEL

ELTORIODOR

TRUDYS CARLTON HILL

GAY CAFE

SHEDS BEESTON

JACKS BEESTON

ROBINS QUEENS RD BEESTON

WHITEPOST FARNSFIELD

RIVERSIDE CAFE GUNTHORPE

THE SHIP SKEGGY

THE EAGLE MABLETHORPE

HERE ARE JUST A FEW TO GET YOU THINKING.

Forest Folk at Blidworth was a good Bikers pub.

Bet it was just the once at The Eagle, the night of the infamous bus trip? they never did find out who nicked their carpet! As Basford based pre 18 used to go in cafe at Bulwell Market, only names I remember were Elijah Day, Pat Hutchinson and Brian Exton, also one on Annesley Rd Hucknall, someone named Chet? a pole? owned that, later had one opposite Basford Gasworks Gate, a later owner was murdered in it, his wife did it then locked body in ouside bog, and cleared off to Ireland, only found when chemist at shop next door complained re the smell (and blue bottles the size of sparrows!)

HiAsh

just come back from white hart looking at the post. tried to send you a message last week it would not let me for some reason. was pat hutchinson the one who worked at the george hotel in hockley brian exton i remember slightly.

Re Sambo piggy often talks about him i remember him sitting up on the eagle at highfields hafe way gate when there was a race on . pm us and let us know which oldace it is have a few ideas but not sure have told several old aces about this site when we have seen them perhaps if more of them see this we can get a few more into the thread and bring back more memories for you all.as you know its me babs that dose most of the writting as it takes piggy so long with his big fingers i can type faster than him but my spelling is rubush.

Brian Exton had his own Motorcycle shop on Coventry Rd Bulwell and later moved to Carey Rd/St Albans Rd next door to the railway crossing, he has had many a pound note off me in the past. He also built an all alloy/chrome BSA 500cc Gold Star and sold it to a Johnny Harback who wrecked it not long after, best looking Goldie I have ever seen!!

Sambo had a thing for climbing, at the Race Of The Year in 63 or 64, he climbed the tree at the Esses, and was actually right over the track, the police took a dim view.

While on the subject of tree climbing, does anyone remember Ernie Daft climbing the tree outside the Ship in 1964, the police told him to get down, he shouted 'come up and get me', and then urinated on them. Two nights in the cells and a big fine.

First time I went with Aces to Skeg Ernie was on a Sports cub, manifold nut came off and he rode from about lincoln with one hand holding carb on! 4 pics from the ship, Ernie in 3, in the first he'd just been let out after court appearance, hence glum look, it got worse! he was in minivan and took mothers dog with him, going home at wragby cafe dog jumped out and ran off, he thought gone back to skeggy and drove all the way back looking for it, when he got back to cafe it was in the car park! the 3 drunks are Dick Me and Issy one dinner can just see front wheel of his 440 Honda and part of my 650 BSA, In 3rd one don't he and slim look young? SWScan00031-1.jpg

Hi Ash and all .

The other guy in 3rd pic is JOHN SMITH lived in first house forsythia gardens back of white hart left his wife a 6 kids went to live in australia died a few years back still in touch with june his ex wife.

Ash can we have some copies of these for our memorial corner. Piggy sez get your arses down here and look at some of the photoes we have already got not a lot of the old days so if any of you old rockers have got anything from the past we would love to have copies of them , but want to get as many photoes of those who are sadly no longer with us to set up a memerial board. Just found out were Chris Mann lived to be told that he had passed away at christas time his wife told Paddy she would try and go through his old photoes and let us have what she can find from the old days so has anyone got any of him I know it was usually him taking them of every one else, but maybe you have one. We do have one of him when he was younger with Coombsie and Jonny Greenfield.

Is that Dick in the first pic with johnny Greenfield, Johnny Trusscott and Ernie.

yES THE OTHER ANSWER BY PIGGY.Someone told us not so long ago that they are both back living in notts but no longer together dont know if this is crrect.

babs.

I recall Dick had an Ariel twin for a long time and then bought a 998cc HRD, 1948 or thereabouts. He never looked comfortable on it. I don't think the HRDs had Girdrolics and rear dampers as in the later Vincents, just girders and solid rear end, not too comfortable at the speeds it was capable of.

Other Aces with Vincents were Cranson with his Black Shadow and Comet, and Pete Truman who had an American export type Rapide. I went to the 1965 Dragon on the back of Pete's Rapide. He opened her up on the Borrowash by-pass, it was pretty impressive.

• 3 months later...

Brian Exton had his own Motorcycle shop on Coventry Rd Bulwell and later moved to Carey Rd/St Albans Rd next door to the railway crossing, he has had many a pound note off me in the past. He also built an all alloy/chrome BSA 500cc Gold Star and sold it to a Johnny Harback who wrecked it not long after, best looking Goldie I have ever seen!!

Hi!

I remember Brian Exton well, both his shop in Coventry Road and the later one in Carey Road. I bought various bit off him for my Royal Enfield Crusader Sport.

I well remember the Goldie. Everything that wasn't either rubber or leather was polished alloy or chrome. I lusted after that machine but since I only had a prov license and no money it was all a bit pointless. The story I heard was that it was built for show purposes (though not, as I understood it, by Brian.) I was told he acquired it and was selling it on, but wouldn't swear to that.

What I would swear to though is that it was a 350 goldie, not a 500. I know it was damaged in an accident shortly afterwards. The story I heard was that he was pulling out of a sidestreet and parked delivery wagon or summat reversed over him/it.

Col

• 3 weeks later...

Yes you're right, can remember a copper one night throwing his torch at Ernie Daft on the boulevard, Were you there the time we went to Sherwood Forest (later years)? Eugene and I think Billy Gilbert were having photos took, went blasting off down road, can't remember who was taking photo but he got ready, then from nowhere out of middle of the woods plod arrived on a pushbike and stood waiting for them! got shock of his life when the pair of them came back as arranged side by side flat on the tanks (rider prone as they said in Motorcycle Mechanics road tests) at about 10mph so good pics could be got! the copper just put his book away. never said a word and cycled off

hi ashley was ernie daft a plasterer

hi ashley was ernie daft a plasterer

Yes Ernie was a plasterer, and like many others he worked on the Bridgford Hotel alterations in the late 60s.The dust was appalling and many of the plasterers got lung disease, Ernie included.

I knew another plasterer who worked on that job and lost a lung as a result. His name was 'Tony' Marcinkowski, he was well respected by the Polish community as a war hero. He was captured by the Russians when they invadeed in 1939,he was marched to Siberia and interned in a Gulag. After Germany invaded Russia the surving Polish prisoners were sent to Iran and shipped to England. After fighting with the Free Polish Army, he was parachuted into Poland to organise resistance, he fought in the 1944 Warsaw rising and managed to evade capture when it was crushed.

That is a terrible inditement of those that oversaw the conversion, as relatively recently as the late 60's!

Were the plasterers issued with face masks etc? Where were the embryo H&S folk?

Trusting that they were all properly compensated...

Cheers

Robt P.

Cheers

Robt P.

In the 60s , you've got to be joking!!

That is a terrible inditement of those that oversaw the conversion, as relatively recently as the late 60's!

Were the plasterers issued with face masks etc? Where were the embryo H&S folk?

Cheers

Robt P.

H&S on 60s building sights was non-existant, I was working on the Boots laboratories on Pennyfoot St,a guy fell 4 floors down an unguarded void, we were all sent home while there was an 'investigation' into his death, never heard the result, but most likely they would have found it was his own fault.

Is there anybody here who worked on Ratcliffe power station in the 60s? If so what did you think of safety on that sight?

Is there anybody here who worked on Ratcliffe power station in the 60s? If so what did you think of safety on that sight?

No, but my dad did! "Stan the Painter"

He originally worked for "Industrial Paints" (I think) - they did all the paintwork on the steel. They wouldn't let him go up on the steelwork, so he did all the signwriting on the walls, piping, etc. After it was commissioned, he got the job as site painter with the CEGB.

Re Boots on Pennyfoot Street:-

My Uncle (Frank Farnsworth) was working there that day too, I vaguely remember tab hanging on family conversations at the time, IE, "Are YOU all right Frank" etc

Re Boots on Pennyfoot Street:-

My Uncle (Frank Farnsworth) was working there that day too, I vaguely remember tab hanging on family conversations at the time, IE, "Are YOU all right Frank" etc

There was a guy called Frank who worked as sheet steel erector on that sight, he had an Ariel Bike it wouldn't be him surely.