• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I said in other post I would start a new topic on Carlton Girls School Station Rd Carlton I went there from 1962 to 1966 the head misstress was Miss Jones at this time.Some of the teacher I rememb

miss placket was head mistress when i went 1956 c stream miss goodrich who became mrs bancroft when she left we had miss howarth who became mrs taylor she was our form teacher for the rest of our scho

My Dads name was George Holmes and we lived on Southdale Drive in Carlton

Any of you know the boy school names in Netherfield between 1950's and 1965?

Thank youuuuu

HI MARZIPAN

CHANDOS ST BOYS SCHOOL WAS THE ONLY ALL BOYS SCHOOL IN NETHERFIELD, THE ONLY OTHER SCHOOL IN NETHERFIELD WAS ASHWELL ST. I WHENT TO THE INFANT AND JUNIOR SCHOOLS BEFORE GOING TO CARLTON GIRLS SCOOL IN 1962 .SPENT THE FIRST 12 YEARS OF MY LIFE LIVING IN NETHERFIELD AND THEN MOVED TO CARLTON UNTILL MY MARRIAGE 10 YEARS LATER.SO HAVE MANY HAPPY MEMORIES OF THE AREA AND ITS PEOPLE MANY WHO STRUGLED TO BRING UP LARGE FAMILIES IN POOR CONDITIONS BUT ON THE WHOLE NICER PEOPLE YOU COULD NOT WISH TO MEET . ONE OF NOTTSTALGIA LOPPYLUGS WENT TO CHANDOS ST SCHOOL AND HAS POSTED A COUPLE OF HIS SCHOOL PHOTOES ON THIS SITE POSIBLY IN ARNOLD AND CARLTON AREA HE WAS IN MY OLDER SISTER KPNUTS CLASS AT ASHWELL ST, SO WOULD HAVE LEFT SCHOOL CIRCA 1958

It's really great to know somebody remembers Steve! :)...so happy! I shall tell tomoz when I get him over the phone!! So you were mates? Or such? Perhaps could discuss more in private?? Great to send an email or such to discuss further!! What do you think? he!

xox

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, I used to live in the school house at carlton girls and Frank Wheldon schools,
My farther was the cartaker at both schools
I realise it's been a long time since any of you posted anything on here so it's a shot in the dark,
I use to work at the Forum and play on the Alps as a kid, happy memories,
I was in Newstead house when Mr Cappendale was house master.
Be nice to hear from anyone who was around at that time.

hi nigel

i am still around you moved from the school house when i was in second year at carlton girls school i lived on cavendish rd and used to do first aid at carlton fourum when it fisrt opend also ranred cross cadets with my mate leslie denoon for a while got to now the life guards quite well remember bob but carnt remember the other2 names

remember your dad too but not well just that horible changing room that was next to the boiler house .

when your family moved out of the house it was used as domestic science block we had to learn how to keep house cook meals for staffdo ironing cleaning washing workout shopping lists ect meals were always cooked by two girls and we had to invite two friends and two teachers for lunch or tea.lunch had to be a three course meal and tea had to be what was called high tea sandwiches giving a choice sausage rolls cakes pot of tea pot of coffee not instant coffee perculated coffee old style coffee pots you put on the cooker top

• Upvote 1

have posted on it mick down to 10 now better get my crash helmet ready im a bit delicate dont forget lol

you mentioned the aviary kirky in your post on welldon school and i replied to that but thought i would mention on here a little moreabout that if you were ill at school you whent to see miss huston bioligy teacher and if she felt you were really not well you would be put on little camp bed with a cver over you outside the aviary it was surposed to be a quiet area untill home time or someone came to pick you up what a joke i suffered badly with migrains during my early teens so often would end up up there first the birds drove you mad with there cherping then in btween lessons all the girls going backwards and forewards talking comming to see who it was in the sick bay noprivicy at all one day i remmember being realy sick you had to use a bucket or if tou could get to the sinks across the corridor as i said in other post only toilets were outside only one block of about 12 toilets to about 250 girls so there were always long quees at breaks and lunch times and often unless you were lucky and got there earlyyou could not get in and of course you were in trouble if you were late back to class or asked to go during lessons thats one reason i did not mind doing the staff drinks as you could nip into staff toilets before or after breaks hopping none of the staff came and caught you.

• Upvote 1

you mentioned the aviary kirky in your post on welldon school and i replied to that but thought i would mention on here a little moreabout that if you were ill at school you whent to see miss huston bioligy teacher and if she felt you were really not well you would be put on little camp bed with a cver over you outside the aviary it was surposed to be a quiet area untill home time or someone came to pick you up what a joke i suffered badly with migrains during my early teens so often would end up up there first the birds drove you mad with there cherping then in btween lessons all the girls going backwards and forewards talking comming to see who it was in the sick bay noprivicy at all one day i remmember being realy sick you had to use a bucket or if tou could get to the sinks across the corridor as i said in other post only toilets were outside only one block of about 12 toilets to about 250 girls so there were always long quees at breaks and lunch times and often unless you were lucky and got there earlyyou could not get in and of course you were in trouble if you were late back to class or asked to go during lessons thats one reason i did not mind doing the staff drinks as you could nip into staff toilets before or after breaks hopping none of the staff came and caught you.

Sorry I've not got back to you sooner, just realised you replied, just getting use to this site, ha ha

Being stuck outside an aviary with a migraine sounds more like a punishment!! Ha ha

Thanks for all that info, I don't remember to much about it because I was so young

Tell me, was they a fish pond somewhere in the school grounds? I have vivid memories of being pulled out of one several times but not sure where.

not that i can remember there wernt many places to put a pond most of it was concrete the only places there could have been one was top field were the two prefab class rooms were art and cookery plaing fields in front of them on top of the air raid shelters do you remember them kirky full of old desks filling cabinets ect then up the steps to the prefabs. the only other place would have been the garden between the two walls opposit the fire station at the side your house . all the new bui;dings built on that now.

we never got any discos at our school that was perhaps because it was all girls might have been a bit boreing same though couse it had a great floor for dancing and a great stage for bands such a shame it was pulled down would have made a great venue for functions like weddings and birthdays not many places in carlton and netherfield for stuff like that pity the business centre did not use its busness head. large kitchen large room good stage what more do you need.

• 11 months later...

she might have been in kats class or the a stream class she was not in my class

I started Carlton Girls school around 1954 Miss Plackett was headmistress and our form teacher was Miss Dennis we also had a Mr. Cook who has a habit of calling us all thick zombies (probably wouldnt be allowed to do that now), can anyone remember in the winter when the toilets used to freeze up and the playground at the front was a skating rink - another thing that wouldnt be allowed now,we used to have games such as netball in the front playground which caused us to get oggled at by the Chandos Street boys and to play hockey we used to have to walk down to the playing fields on Stoke Lane whish was also where we has sports day

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

sorry josie missed your post for some reason think it was about the time i was rushed into hostpital so things went a bit mad around then and it all turned out to be a big mistake but just read your post nice to see someone adding there memories to the thread think you would be in the year between my two elder sisters pauleen and jean clements we lived in netherfield at that time but boy you ate right about those horrible toilets and as kat said in a earlier thread in this topic it was not only the local lads from chandos boys but also the firemen who when we were there used to come out on the front and gaupe at us we did notplay hockey when i was there only went to stoke lane for sports day we went in the summer to conway rd tennis courts

• Upvote 1

bring this post up hope sheila t will also add some of her own memories good or bad

mick can we move this thread into the schools thread make it easier to find

josie think you might have been in the same year as my sister jean cleements i did not start till 1962 my sister pauline was two years olde than jean so would have been 3rd year when you were there kath was two years youger than jean so you would have been in your third year when she started the school. both pauline and kath went to work at maypole shop after leaving schoolthink our jean went to work at bourns factory, for a while then got a job as a machimest

thanks mick hope any of the members who whent to carlton girls will start adding there own meories

josie i know miss euston miss nevin and miss machin were working in the school when all my sisters were there