• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I see and remember Moss Bros. Weren’t they next to Hornes over the road from the ABC Cinema or have I got it wrong.

Great! I used to go to the Metropole on Mansfield Road opposite Edwards Lane - and the Grove, wasn`t that on Kirkewhite Street in the Medders?

The Globe - I`ve a feeling that was a Medders picture house as well. Was it near Trent Bridge?

The Futurist - a Basford one?

and he mentioned the Savoy, still showing films up Derby Road.

What an interesting clip! Thanks again M2M!

Don't think the Grove was on Kirkewhite,but it was nearby...I worked there for a bit on the Bingo.The Globe was at the end of Arkwright st. near Trent Bridge.I think there was a quick flash of the Commodore or old Aspley Cinema corner of Bar Lane...not while it was a cinema though.

The one on 2.37 with Worthington on the front, is that the bottom of Oakdale Road in Bakersfield ?

Great! I used to go to the Metropole on Mansfield Road opposite Edwards Lane

Me too, Eileen.

Every Saturday morning, The ABC Minors!

We are the boys and girls well known as

Minors of the ABC

And every Saturday we line up

To see the films we like

And shout aloud with glee

We love to laugh and have a singsong

Such a happy crowd are we

We’re all pals together

The minors of the ABC

Old Mother Riley

Flash Gordon

Collecting a different coloured ABC Minors badge every week!

Back home to Redhill afterwards with my sister on the number 57 bus. Sent out for fishcake and chips from Eassom's chip shop on Redhill Road for Saturday 'dinner'.

Happy memories.

The one on 2.37 with Worthington on the front, is that the bottom of Oakdale Road in Bakersfield?

if 2.37 is time into video it's The Commodore, formally The Aspley Bar Lane/Nuthall Rd

• 3 months later...

Me too, Eileen.

Every Saturday morning, The ABC Minors!

We are the boys and girls well known as

Minors of the ABC

And every Saturday we line up

To see the films we like

And shout aloud with glee

We love to laugh and have a singsong

Such a happy crowd are we

We’re all pals together

The minors of the ABC

Old Mother Riley

Flash Gordon

Collecting a different coloured ABC Minors badge every week!

Back home to Redhill afterwards with my sister on the number 57 bus. Sent out for fishcake and chips from Eassom's chip shop on Redhill Road for Saturday 'dinner'.

Happy memories.

Dearie me - I remember the ABC minors at the Metropole as well. Funny you should write the lyrics of the song (anthem?), I remember in the 80's working in a drawing office in Redhill, Surrey, and just bursting into song with that anthem!!! Didn't half get some funny looks though!!!

I do remember they were showing a series of Batman, we went one week and they just didn't show the next episode. I remember they always showed the films in the same order each week and when Batman didn't come on there was almost a riot!!! Us Sherwood lads started a chant "WE WANT BATMAN, WE WANT BATMAN". Seemed to go on for ages and they couldn't start any more films because the the kids were really angry...

Can't really remember what happened after that. I think we stopped going as a protest. It must have worked, because the last time I saw the Metropole I think it was a pound shop!!!!

I remember dancing in the ailses at the Adelphi in Bulwell when Rock around the Clock was shown with Bill Haley and the Comets....

Oh happy days, the last time I was in there was with a married woman who's husband was away at sea, I didnt know at the time or I would never have gone with her!!

Owdtite.

• 2 months later...

did any body go to the Bridgeway Hall, on corner of Arkwright St and Waterway St, in the 1950,s.

every Saturday morning, picture show ( 2penny rush)as it was called,

The bowery boys, the three stoogers,Hoperlong Casady,and many more,great saturday mornings..

Don't think the Grove was on Kirkewhite,but it was nearby...I worked there for a bit on the Bingo.The Globe was at the end of Arkwright st. near Trent Bridge.I think there was a quick flash of the Commodore or old Aspley Cinema corner of Bar Lane...not while it was a cinema though.

The Grove Picture House, was on the corner of Waterway st and Maypole Grove, just before you got to Queens Drive,

where the Police Station was on the corner,

all the best, DENNIS..

Moulin Rouge @19" was bottom of Mansfield Rd/Milton St,I recall that they often showed naughty "X" rated films, and I saw a horror film there that was also an X, but had no problem getting in, despite being only 13¬

And a bit later in the 70's too.!!! (But I have no recollection as to who it was that told me that though)..............................................slywink

what about the Imperial cinema on Wilford road, showed some good films , but what a flea pit,always come out

itching after a show.

another one is the Queens cinema, on Arkwright street,just below Midland Station,that one wasn't to bad.

How very dare you!

Are you casting nasturtiums on us what was brung up in the Medders?

If you wuz itchin` after attending our excellent fleapit it wuz yer own wot you took in wiv yer!

{Flounces off in high dudgeon.)

How very dare you!

Are you casting nasturtiums on us what was brung up in the Medders?

If you wuz itchin` after attending our excellent fleapit it wuz yer own wot you took in wiv yer!

{Flounces off in high dudgeon.)

now,now, Eileen, i,m only stating facts

love all you meadowite,s Dennis.

• 1 month later...