• 4 years later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I see and remember Moss Bros. Weren’t they next to Hornes over the road from the ABC Cinema or have I got it wrong.

A plea for some help.  I remember the Grove Cinema , but does anyone remember exactly where it was? I''ve found out that it was on the corner of Kirke White Street and Mayfield Grove, but which corner?

As you stood on Kirke White Street, looking down Mayfield Grove was it on your left or your right?  Which street was the entrance on? 

Thanks Brew. I've now seen a higher resolution copy of that photo. The street name on the front of the cinema is clearly "Mayfield Grove", so that definitely locates it. The car is parked on Kirke White Street East, next to the Ginnel behind the cinema.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Moving to Daybrook in the 60s and having to find a job to fit in with hubby getting home from work I worked at the Lucky 7 bingo hall at Daybrook  now it was on Ribblesdale Road and it used to be a cinema sorry can't recall the name,  can any member help?

Me, again ... now I'm on the hunt for the exact location of the Forum Cinema - Aspley Lane.  Rumour has it that it was near the junction with Melbourne Road. Google street-view hasn't been any help. In the picture I have - branded 'Leyland' - there is a distinctive residential property on the left side, and I can't even find that. 

For a few years the Forum building was taken over by Leyland Office Equipment.

As a lad we went to the Forum on Saturday afternoons for the 3d kids show.

• Like 1

Catfan, Just read your post above and thought bl**dy heck 3D movies in 1960, that was a bit advanced then I realised that you meant threepence. it amazing how technology warps your thinking.

• Like 1

3D movies were around in the mid to late 50's, we had to wear those glasses with one lens green the other red or the movie would have been unwatchable.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

3D movies were around in the mid to late 50's

You comment made me look up 3D movies on Wiki and the first public showing was in September 1922 and they too used the red/green format in the dual film strip. You are quite right the "golden era" for 3D movies was between 1952 - 1954

The red/green glasses were called anaglyph glasses. It is quite an interesting article and you never stop learning.

I went to see one of the Star Wars movies in 3D, fantastic..

I remember the Dandy or Beano (or both) having 3D editions. A pair of cardboard framed red/green glasses given away with the comic.

It never seemed to work for me. I could never get the 3D effect.

I’ve been to the Moulin Rouge on a few occasions - that was what they now call an art house. 

Can’t remember where it was - somewhere around Mansfield Rd up from Shakespeare St?

• Like 1

Went to Rempstone a few times had great fun. I can’t remember the name of my Aekela or Balou, just that I hero worshipped them both.

Akela we’ll do our best  - Dib Dib Dib 

• Like 1

Speaking of the Ark Royal (or it could have been Eagle). We were in Freemantle, which was heaving with Yanks on R&R from Vietnam,  loading grain for Japan when the Ark Royal came in. You can imagine a 1000 or so (professional) jack tars let ashore after weeks at sea (out of site of land and women) amongst a couple thousand (conscripted) yankee sailors and marines whose sole purpose in life was to dodge bullets and who perhaps had just got their feet under the table. 

It did not mix well and they tore the place apart. Ashore, I adopted a “cobber” accent to protect myself. 

• Like 2

Yes and I walked around with one of  those hats with the brim up at one side and carried a boomerang and a 2 pint jug (i think it is Swan) of frozen lager just to emphasize the point 

• Like 2