I on't Know about the violin case, perhaps that was the bods going to the Becket School? :P

I undestood that the folks over the river lived in big expensive houses and consequently had to survive on Bread and Lard.

We in the Meadows with more modest abodes could afford dripping for our toast!

• 4 months later...
I on't Know about the violin case, perhaps that was the bods going to the Becket School? :P

I undestood that the folks over the river lived in big expensive houses and consequently had to survive on Bread and Lard.

We in the Meadows with more modest abodes could afford dripping for our toast!

Yer mekkin me mouf water...Pork dripping on toast "wiv" the jelly..Hmmmmmm

Yep, thats the answer, houses were expensive on that side of the river and loads of folk wanted to look better than them on the "tother" side of the river, hence bread and lard island!

John

• 7 years later...

Had plenty of bread and beef dripping in my younger years, particularly sandwiches when going fishing. But the best was hot toast and dripping with salt or pepper....my mouth is watering with the memories.

:biggrin: Absolutely nothing wrong with bread and dripping; wished I could still indulge in my mature years but have to watch the fat and salt these days - Oh so boring!

Still the memories remain:

Pork dripping with jelly, spread on lovely, fresh, soft, white bread and liberally sprinkled with salt.

Or back to the 50's at great grandma's and toast made on the range, then spread with beef dripping and a sprinkling of salt on the top; I can taste the beefiness even as I write of the brown jelly. Served with a hot cup of tea - a splash of Stera to give that extra treat - yummy, yummy, yummy. :biggrin:

PS: Why should I ever want to escape my working class origins?

I still eat bread and dripping now and then, my missus just about pukes, these yanks have no sense of taste....LOL

But how about a bit of black pudding to go with the bacon butties?

Isn't that a filthy Lancashire habit, inappropriate on a genteel Nottingham based website?

(Sorry, but I can say this against myself as my grandad was born in Burnley - leaving my own Nottinghamshire credentials a bit suspect!)

I still eat bread and dripping now and then, my missus just about pukes, these yanks have no sense of taste....LOL

Try her with a plate of Cow Heel, Tripe & Chitterlings........................that'll settle her stomach !clapping!

Still the memories remain:

Pork dripping with jelly, spread on lovely, fresh, soft, white bread and liberally sprinkled with salt.

Or back to the 50's at great grandma's and toast made on the range, then spread with beef dripping and a sprinkling of salt on the top; I can taste the beefiness even as I write of the brown jelly. Served with a hot cup of tea - a splash of Stera to give that extra treat - yummy, yummy, yummy. :biggrin:

PS: Why should I ever want to escape my working class origins?

Though only a few years later (early 70's) we did/had the same at my Grandma's, I remember sitting with the toasting fork in front of the fire.. it was also the only place I had tea made with sterilised milk, can you still get it?

Curly

'Stera' YUK!! my mam always got it for me dad, still remember the nasty 'skin' that formed on it...............................apparently due to the proteins formed when it was heated, otherwise it wouldn't keep well & we had no fridges then, only the cold slab in the pantry.

• 2 weeks later...

'Stera' YUK!! my mam always got it for me dad, still remember the nasty 'skin' that formed on it...............................apparently due to the proteins formed when it was heated, otherwise it wouldn't keep well & we had no fridges then, only the cold slab in the pantry.

and condensed milt nestles of course my mum used to have it in her tea and i,d nick a spoonfull

or a bucket of cold water . never liked stra in our house only had it if we ran out and shop only had that left, but i still love a drink of cold milk but i always loved the channel ilands milkor gold top as it was called by most , we used to have 2 pints a day delivered as well as 4 pints of silver top, no wonder milkman liked comming to our house for his money at the end of the week. but there were 8 of us and all the nieghbours who came in and out all day for cups of tea carnt remember my mum ever having a cold tea pot. pluss in the winter we always had good fires. so they all came to our houseto save coal till there husbands and kids got in at night.

Talking of milk bottle tops, can anybody remember the school yard game after drinking your 1/3 of a pint of milk??

You would take the silver foil top and with the tip of your index finger on the inside of the bottle top lip and the tip of your middle finger on the outer side, you would flick your fingers open and the bottle top would fly through the air for some distance.

This game had two variations from memory, either the longest distance or, landing your top in a circle marked on the ground.

This was popular at the RoT infant school for a time in the 50s.