an old friend from debil st pete wood recently put something on face book about evaporated milk that lead to a discution on how many families in those day used to have tined fruit evap milk and bread and butter\marge for tea on sundays and if you were lucky a piece of cake or pie to follow but as i have said my mum was a good cook so we were lucky and always had pies or cake for tea. but it also lead to us talking about sandwiches of condenced milk that both pete and i loved essecially with homemade thik cut bread and best butter of course in our house it was mamily marge but if one of my sisters brought some home when they worked at maypole we got best butterthis wasussually when it was near its sell y date and the manager mr mc always gave it to them because he know it would not hang around for long in our house. we would all eat it very quickly or mum would use it for baking with. at petes house once rationing was over his foster mum mrs mason always had best butter from what i remember the odd times i went to her ouse for tea.

Trevor S, I too remember the bottle top game, to get the top off the bottle you had to wrap you forefinger and thumb around the top whilst it is on the bottle, gently squeeze and twist and pull the top off all at the same time, (if that makes any sense) that way you could preserve the shape of the top without any distortion, if you could shape the top with a slight dome in it the top would "fly" a lot further (if any of this makes sense, i'm sure it does to those who have done it)

Rog

It's funny how we called it 'best butter' like there was a worst butter! if I remember rightly, any butter was good!

I recall the following so-called "recipe" from "I'm sorry, I'll read that again" (on the old steam radio). 'Take one blob of blutter. A blig blob of blest blutter - plice two blob a plound. Plut the blig blob of blest blutter in a blig blason, and bling it to the bloil. Then blung it in a blucket, and bleat it.'

katyjay, when I was kid (I wish I'd got a pound for everytime I'd read that on Nottstalgia) Lurpak was always refered to as 'best butter'. There used to be other kinds of butter that were cheaper but not as nice. I think that is the reason Lurpak was always regarded as the best.

yes but what was the best ale and why every one had there own thoughts tastes and every pub landlord whould offer you something differentdepending on what kind of pub it was.

pesonally i prefered anchor to lurpack. and never liked any beer or ale at all.

Sorry to hear that Baz.

Brother in Law (worked on the Snowy Mountains scheme) used to drink like a fish until diabetes hit him. His favourite was Tooheys Old by the schooner.

These days, he has the occasional TO but murders the scotch!!!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Crikey whatever happened to all the above members? (Some very bad examples of over quoting) 

Where did they go?

Why did they leave? (Don't mention leave on here) :crazy:

What did they not like?

Are they still alive? 

Anyway full apologies for posting something Nottingham related, it's a good photo.

EGDVZnVW4AAz7Nv?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...