• 3 years later...

Hi Mike

This reminds me of the six--five---special

• 4 years later...

At least with most NCT semi automatics you couldn' t wreck the gearbox by sitting taking fares with the bus till in gear. The doors were opened by a putting the gear selector into a position on the gate that operated the doors, hence putting the gearbox into neutral. Any driver that slapped through the gears deserved a slap themselves. However, it was not unheard of for certain crews at Bilborough depot to play "The Fleetline Chicken" with passengers in the 1960s ,when Bilborough had an allocation of the early flat front Northern Counties bodied examples.

In the Fleetline cabs was notice which read  "THE LIFE OF THIS GEARBOX WILL BE EXTENDED IF ALL DIVERS PAUSED BETWEEN GEARCHANGES" !  A lot of asian divers couldn't read english very well !

When taking off from a standing start sometimes it was necessary to "Boot it" a bit & that notice was promply forgotton. Trust me, I know.

• Like 1

In my experience it was the other way around, what I did notice was that the throttle on Daimlers was hydraulically operated & would lose revs quite often & the pedal had to be constantly pumped to keep the revs up, a lot of Atlanteans later on were converted to air assisted throttle pedals, at the time I thought this was the height of luxury !