Yer can see my owd house on that furst photo! lol, assuming the "old Church Street" ran straight it would have gone downhill to the Leen level from the junction here through the later park just to the right of the "dark bit" to align up with the bridge over the river and the old road at side of St Leo's? There is another question I am reminded of also, why was that garage named The Five Ways? as pre Western Boulevard which it obviously predates there was only "4 Ways" Radford Rd. Church St, Vernon Rd, and Fairfax Street the route of which became Valley Rd (Best not go down the "3 Ways" route when Vernon Rd didn't join up there! lol )

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The original of this was across two pages, hence the dark bit in the middle. This stretch of the ring road is obviously just being finished And this is probably only a few months later http://ww

Re #119 If you do manage to type the full 40,000 lines, lets hope that nobody quotes it in a reply.

And if Cliff Ton can't find it then it doesn't exist.

The original of this was across two pages, hence the dark bit in the middle.

This stretch of the ring road is obviously just being finished

And this is probably only a few months later

http://www.pictureth...004728&prevUrl=

Cliff Ton

That's a superb picture, may I ask what book is it from?

• 1 year later...

Thought this post maybe worth a "bump" (I know I started it but maybe some newcomers may have not seen it and be interested? even know some more history re there?

Am I assuming too much by saying there must have been a level crossing where that bridge crossed the Leen just south of the later Church St bridge? there seems too many lines to have a crossing? then again were those siding lines there prior to the bridge?

Another mystery is a brick wall seen on the right in both photos, certainly looks older than the 1930's when the little rest park was created behind it? was that wall put up when Church St Bridge built with the only road to that (Radford Rd) routed behind it? Finally, anyone know the weight of a 1920'double decker tram? just wondering why if that bridge was strong enough to carry 2 of those, why is it now deemed only safe for light single file traffic? (after having about 10 ton of wood put on it to ensure that)

Hi Ashley, according to a map of the tram network published in a book on Nottingham City Transport, the two tracks were interlaced over Church Street bridge, and I suspect this was specifically to prevent two trams from passing on the bridge.

Oldest map I can come up with is 1870s, and there's a bridge by then, but you can see where the (presumed) level crossing used to be. Also interesting to see all the wagon turntables marked in the gas works south of the bridge.

bafdxx.jpg

also of interest are original end of vernon rd, fairfax street (you can just see the "f") that became the east bound lane of valley rd, the 2 smaller gasometers and building that were demolished before western boulevard was built, (I remember the 2 large ones to the north of the bridge) the houses shops and a bank that were on church street, the mentioned turntables, some of which looked to be on railway land, and the lack of later railway warehouse and sidings to such

That I think was a block of 4 storey high "Nottingham Corporation (gas company) workmen's flats" called Albert Court? (the "other half" of Victoria Court now renamed Park View Court on Bath Street) certainly the overhead plan of the 2 blocks very similar, it was said to have been demolished as a right slum even in Victorian times, I recall seeing those 2 gasometers, the later Vernon Rd went between them, there still is a wooden door in the wall on Vernon Rd that led up to that section of land to the east of the road, that land c/w in use gasometer became part of Flewitts Wood Yard (would have gone up well in a fire!) then later a DIY store, Car Sales, and D/G windows works/showroom. The other gasometer was on the land to the north of church street bridge, later that land became part of Fox's VW Centre, now I believe derelict again.

Scotland Rd (on the map shown as Scotland Place) School was/is on the other side of Nottingham Rd, my mother went there in I guess 1923-1928, later additions to it were added alongside Valley Rd

Am adding to this as I find more details! Fairfax Terrace was on the map, that remained still named thus though then off Valley Rd till into the 1980's, I had assumed they had in the 1930's demolished another road as well as the southside of Fairfax St to get the east to west side of Valley Rd in, which would explain the "isolated Shoulder of Mutton and it's big carpark? seems I was wrong, they just demolished all the housing etc that side of Fairfax Street, hard to see from the map but there is an undeveloped square of land on Radford Rd, could that be the site of the co-op, later car sales? and the buildings next to that the S o M?

notty can you post a wider,version of that map? the reason i ask is because i used to live at the end of western boulevard roughly where the "St" is in St leo's (actually to prove i'm a proper local lad we were actually married in St leo's!)

we were always told that there was an old filled in well, associated with a farm, later found out it was churchfields farm as shown on your map, in our front garden, where there was a big dip in the lawn, wondered if it would possibly be marked on your map

That I think was a block of 4 storey high "Nottingham Corporation (gas company) workmen's flats" called Albert Court? (the "other half" of Victoria Court now renamed Park View Court on Bath Street) certainly the overhead plan of the 2 blocks very similar, it was said to have been demolished as a right slum even in Victorian times,

Possibly the same block of flats I referred to in my post here...last paragraph post 1

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10559

Thanks for the idea of the building I queried being flats. It certainly makes sense as they are definitely linked to the grounds with the gas holders on. Here is a larger plan from the 1:500 map

flatz_zps27803e5d.jpg

its this map i mean, as i'm looking at it its the area to the left hand side, not sure of the direction, but i'm talking about the area at the bottom of bailey street, roughly from basford house to churchfields farm.

The best way to browse the area is to use http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html. This enables you to scour as big an area as you like and over a number of years.

Unfortunately, it doesn't recognise Basford, but type in Bulwell or Radford and work your way around from there. Alternatively, key in coordinates 455453 and 342764.

There is a 1:500 map of 1882 and various 1:2500 maps up to recent times.

Click on the close button at the bottom left of the map. This brings back the index map. You can then click on a new central point and choose the map you want to browse from the list on the right. It is a bit long-winded, but with a bit of practice it becomes quite easy.

I can confirm philby lived where he said, as I lived 5 doors away, (ayup phil) also the presence of that well as before he moved in (I moved there 1970) it did actually fall in! the powers that be then put a large concrete slab over it and replaced the missing bit of the lawn, On the latest enlarged bit our houses would have been off the bottom of it and to the right, I remember Rectory Place, it was where the 1970's flats were built just above the health centre on Bailey Street, the now entrance to Whitemoor Park is at the side of those 2 semi's shown on the left of the map and the boundary wall of Rectory Place running L to R where the loo's were remains as the park wall, I recall Rectory Place having one outside tap to feed all the houses, but recall it as more central than the marked pump.

How far off the map our ex houses are can be judged if you remember there is the park now between "loo wall" and them on western boulevard, mine was in line vertically with the old doctors house at top right, Phils further right off that edge