ahh.....the thing is on that site i can only view one little bit of the map, the facility to move around disappears when you click on the chose map part.

You aren't alone in thinking that site is utterly cr*p. It used to be good and you could zoom in on the maps to a useful degree, but then they took that facility away and now it just doesn't work.

How far off the map our ex houses are can be judged if you remember there is the park now between "loo wall" and them on western boulevard, mine was in line vertically with the old doctors house at top right, Phils further right off that edge

Is this any closer? Showing the early ring-road.....

base.jpg

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The original of this was across two pages, hence the dark bit in the middle. This stretch of the ring road is obviously just being finished And this is probably only a few months later http://ww

Re #119 If you do manage to type the full 40,000 lines, lets hope that nobody quotes it in a reply.

And if Cliff Ton can't find it then it doesn't exist.

yes both our houses on that bit! no sign of a well though, what year is that map? I would say post 1939, theres a clue on the park! knotty ash raised an interesting point re "the gated road" off the bridge, I assume he means the original Vernon Rd end? I have seen official paperwork relating to that saying the council were unhappy with it (built by The midland railway) hence the later new bit through former gas works, so know it's right, but he's also right, as on that map it does go nowhere! other than into station yard, could it be when it was being built?

That brings back some memories. Born in 1946 I have been a patient at Bailey St surgery ever since. First doc was old man Keavney followed back Dr Rowan a lady doctor and then young Paddy Keavney. Can't remember the name of the man in the brown work smock who keep all the paper records.

Fell of the Whitemoor Park monkey climber breaking a tooth 1956.

Colin

Same age as me then Colin, do you remember the hens in the back yard? and the cat's grave stone in the garden (back then you could walk round the grounds) other doctors there in that sort of era were Finnegan Joyce and Skelly and the man in the brown smock was Mr Lunn whose family had a gents clothes shop somewhere near the Fox & Crown, he did everything from sweeping up, to reception, to patients records, think still 4 doctors there as before, but god knows how many to do his job these days

• 2 months later...

Newbasfordlad, when you talk of Whitemoor Park, do you mean the one at the bottom of Bailey Street, accessed through a jitty? If so, I most likely was there when you played on that park, some of the time, as my cousin lived at the top of Bailey Street, who I used to go on the park with.

Cliff Ton, do you have a street map showing Stockhill Lane, from Nuthall Rd to Rock House, say in the 50's, please?

katyjay, that jitty went many moons ago, def before 1970 and probably years earlier,I do remember Rectory Place but the site of such was overgrown wasteland till 1973 till the block of 2 storey high flats built there, The "slum clearance" (many of the houses well looked after and in better condition than what replaced them) of some of the Bailey Street/Whitemoor Road area took place a bit later as I recall? (not sure though)

I think it is now used as a Pre School Playgroup / Nursery.

On the left at the mini island past the fire station.

Now you've reminded me, I know where you mean.

Cliff Ton, do you have a street map showing Stockhill Lane, from Nuthall Rd to Rock House, say in the 50's, please?

Never one to do things by halves...

stock2.jpg

stock3.jpg

• Upvote 1

hellothere Hi Katyjay, a good map that Cliff Ton has put on innit? - our childhood. :biggrin:

Can you remember a girl in our class at William Crane, name of Shirley Piggott? She and her sister - a couple of years older - lived at 'The Miners' Welfare', set in the grounds of Basford Hall.

Every school day, Shirley would bring in either a packet of 'Nibbetts' or 'Smith's Crisps' (little, blue pack of salt). How I used to envy her, wishing I could live in a Pub and do the same.

Is the school opposite Basford Hall, the annexe (Sunday School) to Christ Church, Cinderhill do you know?

PS: By the way (old saying) Shirley never offered her bag of savouries around - although she was nice, she must have had a mean streak! :(

PPS: Wasn't it just beautiful, Stockhill Park, Remember? Weren't we so lucky as kids to have had such a choice of parks around to keep us occupied late Summer evenings, weekends and long Summer hols? :biggrin: When we got bored with one park, we simply moved on to the next.......................................lovely memories................... :Kiss:

Cliff Ton, thank you for the maps. I am no wiser though. As a little kid my dad and I would walk from Amesbury Circus to Bell Terrace on Cheltenham Street, to visit my grandma. As we walked along Stockhill Lane and approaching Rock House, I'd hear pigs squealing. It always intrugued me why there were pigs there. I couldn't see any houses, so always wondered if it was allotments or a small holding behind the high hedge. The map shows something, but not clear enough to confirm anything.

Christine, I remember the Piggott sisters, Shirley was our age and older sister was Joan. They lived at the miner's welfare for years. In my latest Basford Bystander there is an article about Basford college taking over Cinderhill Park and building on it. After the mag went to press, I got a note saying it all fell through and the park will remain.

:biggrin: Hi Kath, thank goodness the park and the bowling green - what's left of it - will remain.

I remember the pigs on Stockhill Lane, just before you reached Rock House; I'm certain a set of allotments were here. We kids used to cut through from Stockhill to Bagnall Lane on our way to Vernon Road Park. Once doing this, someone in our group said: "hold on to your noses because of the smell!" (meaning pigs); a man's booming voice came from over the hawthorn hedge: "Yes you bleddy lot, that's what they all say!" :ohmy: Scared us to death, we ran like billio......................(don't think we ever passed through again).

PS: Did you recollect the school opposite Basford Hall? I'm sure it was the annexe to Christ Church (Sunday School); just noticed the Cross and Ball, pre 'Sch.' The first Cross could be the Methodist Church - opposite 'The Red Lion' (PH).

PS: There were loads of allotments around this area; some of them, with an entrance on Bar Lane, dated back to early Victorian times.

PPS: Remember 'Mr Claxton's Nurseries' on Nuthall Road? Will write about them sometime on 'Nottstalgia' - certainly worth remembering........................... :biggrin:

PPPS: (s'pecially for Carni - my wicked sense of humour :biggrin:) Still have Mr Claxton's white lilac trees growing - hope they outlive me and flourish forever........................

PPPPS: I'm going to put the kettle on; think I've outdone my time on 'Nottstalgia' - can't be a bad thing, innit! :biggrin:

As a little kid my dad and I would walk from Amesbury Circus to Bell Terrace on Cheltenham Street, to visit my grandma. As we walked along Stockhill Lane and approaching Rock House, I'd hear pigs squealing. It always intrugued me why there were pigs there. I couldn't see any houses, so always wondered if it was allotments or a small holding behind the high hedge.

You didn't mention the pigs earlier ;)

Looking at a different map, the place was full of allotments which, presumably, could've been home to a few pigs.

allott.jpg

There were allotments just past where the fire station is now.Up until the White House farm on Bagnall Road sold the land for building...late 50s early 60s.That cut through passed a line of cottages that we explored when they were derelict.Tiny places with low doors and tiny windows.Must have been built in the early Victorian times.

If I remember correctly...The farmer got £120,000 for the (Wimpey?) estate land...and around £20,00 for the fire station site.Interesting to note that those council houses on Stockhill lane and the Circus were amongst the earliest to be built in '28...before Aspley and Broxtowe.

Here's a 1928 aerial shot of the area...

us8r.jpg

A Cinderhill Park

B Allotments with pig sties

C Nuthall Road

D Site of Llanberis Grove (Built '36)

E Guilford School being built

Thanks everyone, you've all been a great help. I never knew there were cottages in that area, but then again, I only walked the walk till I was 7. Wish I could go back in time now and take a gander at what I was missing.

Christine, I can't remember a school where you said, I only remember the church hall further towards Nuthall. I had my wedding reception in there. I think the Girls' Brigade, or whatever it was called [Girls' Friendly Society?] affiliated to the church, also met in there. My sunday school was in there too.

Great aerial photo pooh bear, Dark Lane looks a lot longer than I recall? mind you I only remember it in it's shortened version, ie not joining either Stockhill Lane or Nuthall Rd, but recall seeing where it used to join the latter. Was told it carried the single line tram track to Ripley? and wondered if in existence before the trams came? Also wonder if you have an aerial photo showing the old stately pile corner of Nottingham Road/Rosetta Road? or early map of same anyone?

Hi Katyjay

That's the one entrance half way up Bailey Street on the left as you went up. Monkey climbing frame amongst other things that's what I fell off.

The land is still there between Bailey Street and the back of the houses on Western Boulevard but I think the entrance is now off Tintern Drive.

Colin

:biggrin: Hi Kath, I think they have it wrong on the map and the 'Sch' opposite 'Basford Hall' should read 'Church Hall'; and yes of course Sunday School, Brownies and the GFS (Girls' Friendly Society) would meet here.

I attended the Sunday School occasionally; can you recall the thin books we were given and the multicoloured stamps we could earn to stick in the book?

Sandra Lyons and Jennifer Joynes I'm certain were members of the GFS; my sister Jennifer was a Brownie, together with her friend Margaret Langley. Wonder if they held Girl Guides here? I recall seeing Julie Cooke (sister of Sheila) and some of the Lyons girls all smartly kitted out in Guide uniforms, so it could have been possible.

Lovely that your wedding reception was held at Christ Church Hall - Treasured Memories. Today, as I pass by on the bus, the place is sadly derelict, could do with some TLC - a good lick of paint - but what can we expect as Nuthall Road takes such a volume of traffic up to the Motorway.

PS: Pooh Bear mentions the Victorian cottages around Bagnall Road area - a short cut through after the allotments - remember passing them by as our gang made our way to Vernon Road Park (Jean Hewitt, June Foster, Sandra Lyons, David Samples, Sheila Cooke); we must have walked a couple of miles from Amesbury Circus. :biggrin: It was exciting travelling on to another park - we didn't have a penny in our pockets! :biggrin:

Theres 2 entrances into Whitemoor park, as mentioned off Tintern Drive, and the original one on Bailey Street, to get to the gate of the latter it's a straight tarmac pavement off Bailey Street between new flats and original houses, image such altered when Rectory Place pulled down

ps that's official entrances, must be about another 20 "kid's ways in" via holes in hedges, fences etc, even full size doors and gates for dog walkers straight off their gardens

Great aerial photo pooh bear, Dark Lane looks a lot longer than I recall? mind you I only remember it in it's shortened version, ie not joining either Stockhill Lane or Nuthall Rd, but recall seeing where it used to join the latter. Was told it carried the single line tram track to Ripley? and wondered if in existence before the trams came? Also wonder if you have an aerial photo showing the old stately pile corner of Nottingham Road/Rosetta Road? or early map of same anyone?

I've been doing a bit of searching and enlarging...here's Dark Lane in '26...Don't know if the poles at the side are anything to do with trams.No slide or swings and roundabouts on the park yet.

len7.jpg

And for anybody interested...The 'new' 1946 prefabs off Nuthall Road near the Newcastle Arms...Saxbys chimneys in the foreground...Nuthall Road along the top with Melbourne Road top right.

cis4.jpg

First part of High Street (Basford Road) showing the cottages just up the road from the Newcastle Arms...Still allotments on the right...no council houses yet.

ezv6.jpg

And getting a close up of the Ellis School on Bar Lane in 1946 I found this...Wonder what the lads are doing there?Looks like some sort of military parade more that a PE lesson.... Note the bomb shelters around the perimeter ...Bar Lane to the right.

c3bs.jpg

:biggrin: Interesting lot of photographs to keep me occupied Pooh Bear.

I've already spotted Christ Church, Cinderhill - top left hand corner - in the first photo; I wonder if the Co-op across the way had yet been established (1926?).

Interesting pictures. In 1926 the Ripley trams were still running, so the posts on Dark Lane will be supports for the overhead. It wasn't changed to trolleybuses until 1933 (and of course the trolleybuses went along Stockhill Lane and turned right onto Nuthall Road).

Second picture is also very close to my heart. There's my home from 1951 (before I can remember) to 1954 (which I can remember distinctly). Running from Nuthall Road at the top is Aslockton Drive, curving round to the left at the bottom, with Luton Close off to the left half way down. We lived at no. 11 Aslockton (6th prefab from the top), and my aunt, uncle and cousin lived next door at no.13. I think the rent was 16/9d a week!