• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The original of this was across two pages, hence the dark bit in the middle. This stretch of the ring road is obviously just being finished And this is probably only a few months later http://ww

Re #119 If you do manage to type the full 40,000 lines, lets hope that nobody quotes it in a reply.

And if Cliff Ton can't find it then it doesn't exist.

Re the Saxby's and High Street photos, is that the footpath seen that ran from High Street (Basford Rd) to Bar Lane? Such was I'm told a real pain in the rear to old man Saxby preventing him despite court case and appeal from extending his works down to Nuthall Rd, Having given up the idea large stocks of coal for the boliers were piled up against the boundary wall in the yard resulting in the collapse of said wall with that and the coal covering the footpath several feet deep, for a good while there was a state of panic as it was thought boys from the Ellis School who used the footpath were buried, happily this proved to be a false alarm. No idea of date of the event except before 1970

That was called the Twitchell...now closed as considered unsafe due to muggings etc....marvelous innit? safe as houses for donkeys years including wartime.

If what you state is correct it was well before the 70s...the land from Saxbys to Nuthall Road has been built up for many many years.

Was looking at some old family papers and found my mum and dads wedding certificate, his address at the time around 1938 was Amesbury Circus, where he lived with gran and grandad and his two brothers, and his first job was listed as a dye worker at Vernon road dyeworks.

He then served in the Royal navy during the war and then after being demobbed he went to a trades school and became a bricklayer.

Mum was from old St Annes.

My first place of work as an apprentice electrician, was the new Wimpey estate off Stockhill lane.

Hi Pooh Bear, you can still get through from Bar Lane to Basford Rd, though as you say the original twitchell has gone but think the developers of the former Saxby's had to preserve a right of way/footpath? Off topic but similar to fact you can walk the former route of The GNR all the way via footpaths, alleyways cut through's etc from north end of Mapperley Tunnel to Cinderhill Rd, alot of that not advertised as a footpath but it can be done without trespassing, not walking through someones garden or front room! lol

Am told the former well at Saxby's is still there? massive thing as I recall, been to bottom of it or at least just above water level where there was a platform with electric pumps etc, could have sworn they built an mini traffic island with access to such over it but can find no trace on google earth views etc?

Another twitchell, actually a flight of unlit steps, which according to my mother was an ideal site for a purse snatch or assault on women (she lived near it 1921-1939) ran from Church Street up to Alpine Street somewhere between The White Swan and Murphy's (former Prince of Wales Brewery) recall her mimicking how she used to go up it waving her arms and lashing out in case some unseen assailant was hiding there! lol

As in all my posts the ?? indicate I am unsure of facts for certain, but still worthy of mention I hope?

:biggrin: Love twitchells; I recall those around Radford Bridge Road when I was a child (area of cottages long since gone): we used to play hide and seek in them; especially loved to yodel at the top of the twitchell and listen to the echo. :biggrin:

PS: Beautiful Memories of the Radford Bridge Road area that once was....................... :biggrin:

Another twitchell, actually a flight of unlit steps, which according to my mother was an ideal site for a purse snatch or assault on women (she lived near it 1921-1939) ran from Church Street up to Alpine Street somewhere between The White Swan and Murphy's (former Prince of Wales Brewery) recall her mimicking how she used to go up it waving her arms and lashing out in case some unseen assailant was hiding there! lol

I know where you mean, but it's been closed off a while. On this link, I think it's one of two places - either the bricked-up wall on the left, or the wooden door to the right. http://goo.gl/maps/l1qQM

Thanks for post Cliff Ton but think those to led to

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM005810&pos=17&action=zoom&id=57257

despite the caption saying 14 and 16 Alpine Street am pretty sure that is one house you see, not sure which one 14 or 16) but the gated access (used later as access to Roman Court) led to the one in the photo, the other as I recall leading to the property whose wall you can just see.For as long as I remember the occupier of the main house was an army officer's widow Mrs Emmy Bosworth, a quite well off former teacher who owned properties in The Park, why she chose to live there I don't know but did move back to one of those when Murphy's (the owners) developed the site, She had a (genuine) lodger another former army officer who in the early 1950's made a living painting and selling scenes from WW1, some of the oil paintings were massive, maybe 6 feet across or high! I recall he was a grumpy sort, who drank alot of whiskey,lol

That house too was massive, proper upstairs/downstairs job, with kitchen in the basements with bells on pull wires from the various rooms, think originally a doctor's house, A Dr Maltby who later moved to corner of Arnold Lane/Park Lane,

Reason I know this is grandfather was manager of Murphy's circa 1920-1939, family lived first in Sycamore Hall in the grounds of Murphy's, later in the now restored Georgian house off Alpine St, (my uncle born in that 1922) later still the "bungalow" virtually opposite Bar Lane,

Think the "twitchell" was more towards The White Swan, I remember shops and old houses being there where the car park and lock up garages plus new house are

So demolished post 1959? given the clue on the left of the road, actually probably awhile later as I recall at least one of those shops open as a bookies, which reminds me of another later one on Lincoln Street virtually opposite Cowley Street, a piece of land next to it had a low brick wall and iron railings, far as I know nothing was ever built on it, story went some rich guy, might have been a Mr Hollingsworth? who owned large nearby provisions store and who's house faced the land bought it up and had it as his own private garden and a nice view from his house, the original wall etc remains,

https://plus.google.com/u/0/stream/all?hl=en

click on the above, then the little picture you'll see, wait a few secs till map changes and you should see where I mean,if you look/pan to the left you'll see original brickwork of one of the little "cottage shops" that were along the rest of the street, look right and you'll see former bookies now a house

(tried to copy the image direct, wouldn't work?)

This fascinates me...this building on Lincoln street...

Look at the SIZE of those blocks...Why? Have they been half inched off an older building? They must weigh a ton.Dressed stone like that even in sandstone must have taken some cutting....nice to see the original chisel marks on some.The old Bulwell stone certainly got some use in Nottingham.

There are many cases of churches countrywide using Roman blocks in their construction.

In the 1700s the Market square was like a bog on the Griffin and Spalding side,and I've read they used blocks from Roman roads around East Bridgeford to cure that problem. Recently I came across information that large cobbles from the Kegworth area were used extensively in Nottingham to line the streets...Where in Kegworth they came from Lord only knows.(I think the word cobbles in this sense was large pebbles...not the dressed stones that we knew as cobbles in later years) Poor old horses certainly earned their feed carting that lot about in those days.

rvpe.jpg

am unable to recognize this building for sure, think I know what it is but need help! have been up and down Church Street/Lincoln Street via street view, as a few local roads are called Boulevards can I suggest a name change for it? "Desolation Boulevard" ?

Google 44 Lincoln Street, Nottingham, United Kingdom and you will see all.

It looks as though it is currently being used as a transport/removalist yard.

Did it say what number Amesbury Circus, Banjo? My parents were married in 38 also and moved to the Circus straight afterwards.

Katyjay

They lived at 63 Amesbury circus. Then after the war they moved to the Wigman road prefabs. Saltburn road I think.

doesn't mean anything to me? where is it near etc

Google 44 Lincoln Street, Nottingham, United Kingdom and you will see all.

Don't ya just love the world we live in? Someone in ROT asks about building in Basford...question answered by someone in Melbourne. Wouldn't have been as simple in the 50s would it? :laugh:

Yes, know it well, wasn't what I was thinking of though, had thought a view of the I think former blacksmith's? at Cowley St/Lincoln St corner, See the shop to house conversions not yet finished near the crossings, they were like that 11 years ago when I left Basford!

Out of curiosity I checked an 1882 map..it appears at that time that bit wasn't a building but a wall with a gate in it...since built on.Being nosy and with sod all else to do I'll see if I can find what it was.

:rolleyes:

15e5.jpg