Don't know if it helps but in 1883 a Mr T.Dexter was advertising for a labourer experienced in agricultural matters at 44 Lincoln Street Old Basford . Again in 1900 same chap was advertising for a labourer able to do milking .

Must have been something good in that milk ! In the 1891 Census there is a Samuel and Fanny Dexter and their 11 children plus two servants living at that address . He is described as a farmer .

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The original of this was across two pages, hence the dark bit in the middle. This stretch of the ring road is obviously just being finished And this is probably only a few months later http://ww

Re #119 If you do manage to type the full 40,000 lines, lets hope that nobody quotes it in a reply.

And if Cliff Ton can't find it then it doesn't exist.

His phone number for the job ? .....yes I'm keeping it for myself :unsure:

This is just a hunch . a very big guess but that wall at number 44 Lincoln St , looks like its built of stone from a church and it just so happens that Basford Church was rebuilt between 1857 and 1860 .

This article from the EP 08/03/1860 , says the new church was virtually rebuilt ....well its a theory as to where some of the old stone ended up !

10098895533_80376ea950_z.jpg

We tend to forget in these days of breeze blocks and concrete, that dressed stone was highly valued by our ancestors.Any opportunity to reuse stone and save a lot of hard labour was eagerly sought out. In those days there was little respect for ruins of any era...just the opportunity to recycle somebody elses hard work.

Saw my mate today about the Ellis photograph. There was no cadet corps or anything like that at Ellis.

One thought is that it maybe out of school hours, maybe set up by one of the teachers after all they were mostly ex-service men at that time. From the angle of the shot one would think that it would have to be taken from a plane and that would have to have been organised to.

Colin

Haydn Road Primary School had an Army cadet force around 1960 based there using wooden hut outside and playground and that was nothing to do with the school, no teachers involved or anything, as I recall one night per week and sunday morning? maybe the Ellis thing similar as suggested by NewBasfordlad

Saw my mate today about the Ellis photograph. There was no cadet corps or anything like that at Ellis.

One thought is that it maybe out of school hours, maybe set up by one of the teachers after all they were mostly ex-service men at that time. From the angle of the shot one would think that it would have to be taken from a plane and that would have to have been organised to.

Colin

It was a close up taken from an ariel shot of the general area...

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/asearch?search=nottingham&page=2

• 3 months later...

2.26am Saturday! were this topic a book it would have been a case of "couldn't put it down" had forgot a lot of what was in it and even though I started it fascinating to read it all again! A different world nowadays? some will say better? but despite the hardships bread and jam for a meal (cept Sundays) and going to bed in artic conditions etc not aided by a passage window upstairs broken via a stone in WW2 by an ARP man who saw a light there (and still covered by cardboard in 1960 when we moved out) I think they really were the "good old days" lol

Yes, know it well, wasn't what I was thinking of though, had thought a view of the I think former blacksmith's? at Cowley St/Lincoln St corner, See the shop to house conversions not yet finished near the crossings, they were like that 11 years ago when I left Basford!

two of them have ash! my mate bought what was the greengrocer/cooked meat shop (actually two shops knocked into one) in the middle of that block,and they were converted back to a pair of houses last year. i know because i did all the decorating on them both!

• 1 year later...

Bumpity bump...

Not sure where/who I got this from but I understand that the Bulwell stone wall between Vernon Road and the railway was required to be tall so that the trains didn't frighten the horses working on the road. Guess that fits with the railway being responsible for constructing Vernon Road.

Re the high wall on Vernon Rd, my father was born at 510 Vernon Rd in 1916, the wall was there then but it was him who told me about it, and I included the details about it in a booklet I wrote about the railways of Basford & Bulwell which I understand is still on sale at certain shops and in local libaries, (not pushing it lol, never made a penny from it!) Lots in the book was hearsay from older residents and there are mistakes in it! one esp stands out as I assumed the name Vernon Rd came from a corruption of the MR's "logo" wyvern this was wrong as there were 2 pubs The Vernon Hotel and Vernon Arms there before the railway came.

Prior to Vernon Rd being built the "main rd" from Bulwell to Nottingham was very different and more can be found about such (assuming I got it right) in my first post (no.1) in this topic

• Upvote 1

Going back to Ashley's original thread, this might be helpful for anyone who knows Basford today. This is the area around Church Street and Valley Road in the 1870s. The cemetery on the right is still there, although no longer in use. St Leodegarius church is still there, next to the old bridge over the railway. The ring road approximately follows the line of Fairfax Street which is below the gas holders.

basford_7.jpg

• Upvote 2

Ashley, can you tell me the full title, then I can look in Vernon Rd or Bulwell Libraries.

I tried PMing you, but the system says NO.

will get back to you on this as lent my only copy to someone. the map seems to show vernon rd going as far as nottingham rd with the old level crossing in place opposite Sketchleys with the radford rd fairfax st going over the new bridge into old basford along side the old original road bridg at side of such where I assume there must have been a level crossing? the latter "Smithy's car Scrap yard" which I understood was the original end of vernon td seems to go nowhere, maybe by time that map was drawn it just fed the railway yaed?

#114. In the middle of the map can be seen Basford House - still there today. This building has a claim to fame in that poet Philip James Bailey lived there for a while - it was his father's house. Presumably, the nearby Bailey Street was named after him. He was born in Nottingham in 1816. In 1839, whilst living at Basford House, his poem 'Festus' was first published. He kept adding to it and by 1889 it had over 40,000 lines. It is believed to be the world's longest poem. He died in 1902. If anyone is interested I will type it out for the Nottstalgia Poems forum.

Just above Basford Crossings you can see a chapel (above the l in 'chapel'). This was a tin-hut chapel, later replaced by the brick one on Queensbury Street, just a bit higher up. I remember the tin-hut being there in the later 1940s.

• 1 month later...

I have been following this topic with interest.

I have owned nos 18 & 20 Lincoln St for a few years and would like to know the history of them. I know they were converted to a shop in the 60s and then back to housing a few years ago, not very well done I might add! What was the shop used for? Is it the old betting shop referred to earlier? These are the two properties opposite Cowley St that are attached to the rear of the Old Post Office on the corner of Lincoln st/Mill Close.

Also, following slight subsidence in the rear yard, we have discovered the top of an arched culvert for the river Leen, that the old mill building was built on. I do intend to investigate further when time allows, but would also like to know the history of the river and its relationship to the mill. I have found out that it was a pram manufacturers factory in the 30s but that is about all. I also have some pictures of the river coming out from the City side of the mill, but nothing upstream. Does anyone have any?

The present course of the river runs alongside the railway now, but at one time it went just behind the houses and under the mill, where the old culvert is that we have found, as shown in the 1882 map in #120. At the entrance of the park nearest the house, the ground is raised and a stone wall is built at the rear, in line with the rear of the house. Was this to protect the house from erosion during a flood? Were the houses associated with the mill?

So many questions!

• Upvote 2

I have been following this topic with interest.

I have owned nos 18 & 20 Lincoln St for a few years and would like to know the history of them. I know they were converted to a shop in the 60s and then back to housing a few years ago,

I'm not sure if this answers any of your questions, but this is how things looked in the 1880s. I'd be very surprised if your two houses weren't connected with the mill.

mill_1.jpg

Cliff Ton I need help in finding a picture of Palm Villas, Basford. Hubby was born there in the 1940s, I have tried many different sites but only managed to find demolition site with a "lamp post". You always seem able to find what others can not any help appreciated.

Gem

I've had a look around but I'm afraid I can't come up with anything. :mellow:

One possibility, although you may have already done this. On Picture the Past if you search "Basford" there are quite a few results which come up as "Basford street scene" because PTP don't have any information to identify the location. If you work your way through those there's a chance that one of them might be Palm Villas.