Gem, You need to look at the 1931 or 1951 census returns for Old Basford. Somewhere there will be Palm Villas, and the name of the road it is on will be recorded. From there Cliff Ton will find a map.

PS. CT. If the census gives the street name then there might a photo of it, with Villas!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The original of this was across two pages, hence the dark bit in the middle. This stretch of the ring road is obviously just being finished And this is probably only a few months later http://ww

Re #119 If you do manage to type the full 40,000 lines, lets hope that nobody quotes it in a reply.

And if Cliff Ton can't find it then it doesn't exist.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help, i have done the picture the past but will go again with your suggestion Cliff Ton. Chulla will also try your way and i agree with you Michael if Cliff Ton cant find it, its not there.

Gem

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
On 29/12/2011 at 5:18 PM, nnsc said:

Speaking of the Church St bridge I took this picture from the bridge of the Monolith that was built on the breakers yard. Looking at it, it's in a right state, I wonder when the bulldozers will move in or will it be spruced up for our friends from foreign lands.

DSC_1622.jpg

5 years between these two pictures!

IMG_2701_zps1zdo1ggn.jpg

Looking at the office photos in #132, when was that place built ?  I can remember the site when it was still the Salvo scrap yard which was well into the 90s, so the office building can't be more than 20 years old. Has it ever been occupied ? 

• 9 months later...
On 18/10/2015 at 2:46 PM, Gem said:

Cliff Ton I need help in finding a picture of Palm Villas, Basford. Hubby was born there in the 1940s,

I've been having another look at this, and might have a bit of an answer. 

Do you know the house number of Palm Villas ?  Where exactly was it on Palm Street ?   I can find a Palm Terrace but not a Palm Villas.

On 18/10/2015 at 2:46 PM, Gem said:

I need help in finding a picture of Palm Villas, Basford. Hubby was born there in the 1940s,

4 hours ago, Gem said:

There were only two houses in Palm Villas 11@11a,  one of which belonged to his grandfather, he lived in 9 Palm Street.

This map from the early 1950s shows the numbering in that area to be a bit of a mess. Numbers 7, 9, 11 9a, are scattered around almost randomly.

K0ogxi4.jpg?1

These may be the only photos you'll see of that part of Palm Street when it was full of houses. The arrow on the photos is pointing at the house marked as 7a / 9 on the map.  In this photo - and just visible on the other - the road up the left is North Gate.

w2Gqu5z.jpg

OSlVLJw.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cliff  Ton....thank you, have never seen the two pictures you have found, I am sure that when hubby sees them he will be able to pick out family houses.  The first street map you sent could you let me know how to access it as a lot of his friends lived on Northgate maybe see their houses as well.   

Gem

Cliff Ton...hubby says thanks for the photographs and map, we managed to sort out where he was with the help of the lamp post.  When we came back to Nottingham after a number of years  away all that we could find was the lamp post.

• 1 year later...

Re; those abandoned/unoccupied buildings near the railway bridge, mentioned in earlier posts. According to the NEP, something is finally going to happen.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/plans-transform-never-used-business-2813439?fbclid=IwAR3xThe2epXpE6idmbNX1OqrKjqW6vr-ZJb04DVyCUYfQWHxuoWkyI7LHsQ

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2017 at 6:29 PM, Cliff Ton said:

These may be the only photos you'll see of that part of Palm Street when it was full of houses. The arrow on the photos is pointing at the house marked as 7a / 9 on the map.  In this photo - and just visible on the other - the road up the left is North Gate.

w2Gqu5z.jpg

OSlVLJw.jpg

Did you know a girl, June Drury who lived in one of the villa type houses. I think it was at the cross-roads to the right of the image. The left hand house with a longer garden and larg bay windows.

Alpha.

• 1 year later...

This maybe slightly off-topic having read through, but the original post was talking about the area around Vernon Road. I'm trying to find out where Chard Terrace was. I've found Chard Street on Google, and so I'm presuming that it was a Victorian walking terrace somewhere off there, especially as it seems that there is new a school playing field running through Chard Street. Would anyone know whereabout Chard Terrace was? My great grandparents lived at 4 Chard Terrace from at least 1941-45.