'Barrow boy Tony' who used to drink in the Exchange in the late 70s and early 80s. I think he stopped and got a job with Spider on his pylon painting gang.

I remember a fellow on Long Row surname would have been Phillips, I used to work with his lad Manny (Emanuel) , now he was a proper 'wide boy'!

Then there was a fellow who did fruit and veg Bridlesmith Gate Surname was Bell I think and can't for the life of me remember his first name, although it may have been Tom or John.

When I was on the RAC sales team we used to stand all over the city and used to get on very well with all of them, another springs to mind , big lad used to stand at "The Fountain " (Worked the door there too) at Christmas selling party poppers and silly hats etc, his name was Gary.

Yes Ashley I remember that job, and I remember the asbestos falling all around us as it was being stripped off by the blokes working above us. What did I say about helmets and ear defenders? I bet it was something I would not have said five years later when I was a T&G shop steward and Health and safety rep.

Yes ,I have regular Xrays, I have had pleural plaques for decades. One of the reasons for moving to Shetland was for our health.Lots of fresh air up here, although it does move around quite quickly sometimes.

• 5 years later...

@ Beefsteak.

the fruit and veg lad, if it was the one with ginger hair, it was John Bell. Last I heard got a job working for Pearsons in the Wholesale Market but that was about the time George Wilson was murdered, landlord of Pretty Windows in Sneinton. I did know Jimmy McNulty, he used to give the lads flower baskets and buy flowers for them to sell and let them keep most of the profit. They were mostly lads who had come out of borstal and couldn't find work. he did what he could to keep them out of trouble. I used to see him quite often in the Three Crowns on parliament street. He was a good man, had a rough time when he was younger.

John Bell 'ginger' was in my class at school Padstow, he lived on Carnwood Bestwood estate back then,great lad good footballer,if you look on the Bestwood estate thread you'll see him in the class photo 1..........last saw him some 30 years ago at an Ameteur boxing night at the Creepers Basford.............

Going back to barrow boys I was friends with a lad on Oldknow Street, Hyson Green and one of his mates was Paul Burdett who lived nearby, Pallin Street I think. His brother and dad were City Barrow Boys. Us younger ones were occasionally employed as packers putting tights in packs or 'guenuine' French perfume in boxes. The tights may have been seconds as 3 legged tights were sometimes present. And yes they got put in packets all the same.

• Upvote 1

Not quite barrow boys but I used to know a John Kerry, he stood on Central Market with fruit and veg, that was in early sixties and about two years ago we were passing near Bingham and stopped off to have a walk round. There was a market in the town centre and a large fruit and veg stall, it had KERRY'S FRUIT & VEG over the canopy. I asked just out of interest if they were related to the original John Kerry from Central Market and he was their grand uncle. Puts things in perspective when people talk in those terms. Nice to see the continuity though.

Everybody I knew went to Central market for fruit & veg, fish, and household stuff. it was a magnet for people from all over Nottingham, shame they got rid of it really. Sneinton Market was just as lively. Does anyone remember Sadlers, the pottery people, they used to have a bit of an auction for dinner sets and boxes of seconds and the like on Sneinton Market, on a wednesday I think, and of course Saturday. I know they stopped trading in pottery when imports stopped production at a lot of Stoke on Trent factories. In fact I understand that Sadlers are these days in the skip hire business and they have a waste transfer station on Beechdale Road, which used to be their pottery warehouse. There could be tears for the loss of those busy days, no mobile phone or emails, most things were dealt with on a personal level, lots of banter, real characters in the everyday world. Look at the world now, reality TV, soap operas, texting and facebook, what automatons we have become, these days people hardly speak to each other, sometimes even when they are sitting at the same table.

• Upvote 3

Completly agree ger,about people not talking to each other...............if only they tried they'd find there are lots of nice interesting folk out there,.......try a smile and'how ya doing' amazing the responses they'd get................

• 4 weeks later...