hi folks.

i was only a child 1950.,

i lived on the bend of vernon rd were the train tracks ran parellel with the road, and a long sandstone wall.

bikers would accelerate from northern bridge and race to vernon crossings, this usually happened late at night.

sadly a few did not make it, some hit a oncoming car or truck on the bend of road.

i remember because i lived on that bend and would hear the crash, wot a mess, the law did not require a helmet then.

any one remember these accidents

love to hear from you dave

I rented them for awhile maybe 20 years ago, prior to that they looked empty but weren't, being used as storage by a wieghing scale company, before that (not sure when) they were for a long time a greasy spoon type cafe and only closed when no parking was allowed on that part of vernon road. That bend there is quite deceptive at speed and has caught one or two out resulting in deaths, usually by hitting a big tree that is/was there, also remember a car dismantling the front garden walls of about the first 3 houses on the left after the shops!

I heard that years ago they were a gents hairdressers. About 6 months ago they were up for auction, guide price of 17 thousand which sounds cheap but what could you do with them?

Ashley i read your earlier post about them, are you related to auction Mick?

No not related just know him from his auctions, they used to be great, got some great items at them some crap too,lol remember my first one a sander when such were rare and expensive, think this was about £2 took it home and showed wife, plugged it in, biggest ******* flash and bang! that cream crackered the amature moved over and touched the windings

hi folks

i lived next door to the cafe on vernon rd 1940 -60 this time frame may not be accurate.

the owner was a small older man, the cafe was brocken into on several occasions,so he would leave a large suitcase full of cigs with my mom overnight.

i have not been back to nottingham in 38 yrs, so i assumed there had been radical changes.

found google maps , from the library on vernon rd to bulwell hall i had what seemed like a virtual reality tour, the number on the door were i used to live was very clear.

thanks for all your replies dave

• 5 years later...

Coming a bit late to this thread. :)

My uncle George Burgin had a shop on the corner of Vernon Rd and Gordon St. Little grocers. I went along there just last week and you can clearly see where the shop front has been bricked up to turn the building into a house again. Also at the top of Gordon Rd on the other side of Bulwell Lane, where there are now houses, Uncle George had a woodyard, where he sold new and 'recycled' timber. Behind that he had a couple of allotments where he would grow tomatoes and other stuff to sell in the shop. He also used timber off cuts bundled up and sold as firewood in the shop. All in all he didn't miss many opportunities to make a penny... ;)

I also remember 'Catchem's, which I see is still there. Last time I was in there was after doing a Saturday morning at Whiteley Read's Boiler Works. It would be around 1970. I recall that the Poppy Family 'Which Way You Goin' Billy' was playing on the Juke Box.

Funny what sticks in the mind.

Col

• 2 months later...

Was that the shop on the corner opposite Palmers chippy? One time when I was walking home from school up Bulwell Lane, I found bunches of grapes in the hedge alongside the allotments. My mum accused me of having stolen them, until she discovered that someone had broken into the grocers shop and nicked a load of fruit, which he dumped in the road as he was being chased away.

There was also a record shop a little further up, where I bought my first 45 - Til I Kissed Her. The sales girl was a 'bit of alright' and we used to go in just to chat her up.

• Like 1