England, back home soon

Can't understand that squad selection, the forwards mainly, Hesky ok, till he has to run, Crouch, has a good dance, Defoe, average Rooney, might last one match, (close to getting sent off in a friendly) only 5 of them? no cover, yet he takes 3 goalkeepers, a load of iffy untried other players and no Walcott, I foresee Riots!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1/ need to stop people quoting last item.. 2/ have a thick skin 3/ have plenty of time to spare 4/ learn how to deal with ''Assholes'' 5/ be a nice person 6/ oh yes a ''sense

Heskey in...Crouch in...

Have got a rope, just looking for the sturdy beam.

"Emile Heskey, striker, 58 caps 7 goals. Rene Higuita, 'keeper, 68 caps 8 goals. Jose Luis Chilavert, 'keeper, 74 caps 8 goals..."

Cheers

Robt P.

FIFA rules state that all teams must name three goalkeepers in their squad for the World Cup.

I didn't know that, not really a football fan (Notts supporter)lol, have thought for a long while that a time will come when we'll suffer for all the foriegn stars in our league, maybe this is it? then again maybe not? didn't Inter win Euro Cup or whatever it's called now with no Italians in starting 11? so same for them and others? however out of our english squad how many good enough to play for foriegn teams?

At least we got there , which is more than can be said for Scotland, Ireland(Both of them) and Wales!!

North Korea thought they had wangled a way round the 3 goalies rule by selecting a striker as a goalie!! FIFA have duly noted it and told thepoor bloke that if he plays he can only play in goal!!

Do you remember 1966? funnily enough we had some german firm based in a big house across the road from where we lived, they hung a big kraut flag out the bedroom window for the final, that plus my Scottish (then) girlfriend rooting for them "Yoose Anglish jammy gits och aye the noo" etc made for interesting afternoon. Most memories of other English attempts to win again have faded but do recall the night England failed to make finals, 1974? due to (according to Cloughie) a clown, Tomashevski? Was in Bar Lane police station listening to it on radio.

Guest Flatcap Driver Rides Again

England, back home soon, you say!

Surprised we even make it out.

Bunch of overpayed, prima donners.

Bring back George Best.

Britain's got Talent?

Not in football nowadays!

And thats what I say

Know a lot about football do you?? George Best played for Northern Ireland, not England!! and he was the first of the "overpaid pre Madonnas" (sic)

Guest Flatcap Driver Rides Again

the first of the "overpaid pre Madonnas" (sic) You Say?

Yes like many others Stanley Mathews etc. also before Madonna,

If you could put a team together today with the likes of them,

Put that team against todays nancy boys, Beckham and the like,

And they would not stand a chance in beating the old guys.

And thats what I say

Wouldn't Stanley Mathews have had to work for a living during the summer months?? I think back then, players got a weekly wage, not bonus out the gates, and nothing if transferred. Was a different "playing field" back then. Great players and no need nor the incentives to be "prima donnas" sadly. Sadly George Best became dependent on alcohol, what a waste from someone so talented.

Some players worked during the playing season too, Tom Finney for example worked as a plumber, in fact did so on the day before Preston North End's FA cup final in 1954 and on the morning of such caught a train to London and played at Wembley in the afternoon.

Notts were still semi pros in the mid 70's, Eric Mc Manus (Goal keeper) was a lorry driver down the wholesale fruit and veg market, leaving him free to train in the afternoons.

Mind you when alls said and done , most of them are on a pitance compared with the NFL/ AFL and the NBA!!!!!

and I fixed Mick Leonard's, got a FOC season ticket as a tip! Can remember Pete Russell working in a garage on Berridge Rd whilst playing, and also Tom Johnstones electrical shop at Netherfield

hefixed me boiler

englandflag.gif

What a coincidence! We had a member here who got kicked off for his stupidity - and his boiler was fixed by the same bloke!

Small world, or what?

• 2 weeks later...

Not that it's any consolation , but Italy, Spain, Germany and those cheese eating, handball goaling , surrender monkeys the French, are also struggling!!!

We could save a few bob and charter the same plane to bring us all home!!

Can remember Pete Russell working in a garage on Berridge Rd

I worked swith a Sparks called Pete Russell on the New Coop, Broadmarsh?

must be a few Pete Russells about? same with mick marriotts, I know 3 of those in Nottingham! ever noticed how alot of footballers have unusual names though? Rooney Beckham Lampard Crouch etc not exactly your Smith or Brown etc?