• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first Fish and Chip shop I knew (the one at the left end of the block). Orford Avenue, Clifton.

fe03967b-f93a-4e59-a182-d4755cd7fc85.jpg

Foreign food hadn't been invented then, so they only sold fish, chips, peas, fish cakes, and pies. Everything was served in real newspaper which you could read whilst eating.

The shop was split into two halves which you can see on the photo. The left side with the clear window was the take-away section; the right side with net curtains was the eating-in section, which was exotic and special with formica tables and tubular steel chairs.

And as a kid, you went with your own money and asked for "6 chips"; which wasn't referring to how many you got, but the cost - 6d.

• Upvote 2

I remember the first chippy I went to, old 4d for chips !

There were nigh on riots when the price of chips increased from that to 6d. a 50% rise, scandalous !

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9691996,-1.2239193,3a,75y,135.03h,90.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVYYfiTBioAvyieYC88sWvw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

NOT a chinky in them days.

• Like 1

Strange shape for a fish. I thought it looked like.......... Well !!!!

If it is, it sure looks in a bad way. I don't think Savlon will help !!!!

There's a new one opened on Andover Rd, I think I'll try that tonight. Feet up, strictly on TV, and a Speckled Hen in my jar. Paradise..... Almost!!!!

• Upvote 1

Frequented the Andover Rd one tonight. Beautiful and it's only over the road. I'll definitely use it again.

Plenty of chips, just sufficient batter. Spot on.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

My, my, didn't you get a personal invite Lizzie. What's the world coming to! LOL