• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Beekay said:

Just flipping on Google maps and was amazed to see that the Mill cafe, Bobbers Mill is still in existence. Bet they don't serve the sausage splash sarnies that they used to, back in 1977 ! :hungr:

Oh yes they do, was taken over a good few years ago but stayed with the sos sandwiches. Saying that, they don't spread it on with a trowel anymore! Still good value though.

Interesting what a topic like "Fish and Chips" can dig up.Cliffton I have googled No 30 before. We Lived there 66 years ago. I remember The Mill cafe well my mother ran a hairdressing shop on the opposite corner. We used to sled down the hill from near the railway bridge dodging the trucks as they came from the Mill cafe.I see the "Nags Head" is still there,my Dads drinking hole. Over the years I have tried to find my old mates who lived in Albert and Cyril Ave but had no luck. Names were John Perry and Robin Soar. Any clues? 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

As our Covid 19 restrictions continue to ease we had fish and chips at the beach and on the counter at the chippie was white vinegar and malt vinegar and as usual the choice of plain or chicken salt.

Do any of you afishianados know which is the "correct" condiment, white or malt vinegar. Definitely not chicken salt, only plain salt and plenty of it.

Don't  let PP hear about chicken salt, it might put him on guard. Maybe you make it like ordinary salt, by boiling down a load of chickens until all the water evaporates,  then spread out the residue in the sun and Voila. 

My father liked celery salt. It was one of a range of Schwarz condiments he used to buy from Burton's in the Arcade.  It was truly awful.

I don't like salt and never put it on my food or use it in cooking. In fact, there's none in the house, nor vinegar which I also detest. I keep white vinegar for cleaning glass.

Predominantly malt vinegar in England and Wales, white vinegar North of the Border. Traditionally vinegar was a by product of the brewing and distilling process, so from beer brewed in the South and white from the distillation of whisky up North.

• Like 1

Just before I left England in the 1980s, Lee & Perrins introduced a product made from the dried residues from the manufacture of Worcestershire sauce. It was sold in little shaker salt type pots.

This stuff was excellent on fish and chips and I think I remember a chip shop on Mansfield road having it on the counter.

Anyone remember this product? Is it still around?

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Apparently chicken salt is a peculiar Australian delicacy made from salt and chicken skins and lots of other disgusting things. I think we should send them missionaries!

Peter Brinkworth was the first person to make chicken salt back in the 1960's. His original chicken salt included onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, paprika, chicken bouillon and monosodium glutamate and the yellow colour came from curry powder.

Modern "chicken salt" does not contain any chicken it is made from  lots of salt but no chicken. There can be paprika, onion, citric acid, garlic, rice flour, pepper, celery seeds and something called "chicken flavour". This is generally made from hydrolysed vegetable protein.

I’m a great aficionado of Worcester sauce but I don’t recollect a powdered version nor have I seen it. Morrison’s had no Worcester sauce available on our order this week so I tried Henderson’s, a concoction from Sheffield. It claims a similar age to Worcester sauce and is made from a secret recipe. It’s not as good as Worcester but has a similar coloured label which is a bit of a cheat. You can’t beat ‘the original and genuine’.

6 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I tried Henderson’s, a concoction from Sheffield.

Big difference is, Hendersons' Relish is vegan, unlike Worcester (anchovies). Handy when you have a vegan daughter to cater for.

10 hours ago, radfordred said:

Big fan of Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce

I am too with a dozen plump Coffin Bay oysters and some streaky bacon pieces.

Oysters Kilpatrick and red wine comprise one of the essential food groups.

• 2 years later...

Just paid £20 for two portions of fish and chips from Burton Joyce. It was £18 last month. I feel well and truly shafted. It was my wife’s birthday meal to save her from cooking. I didn’t pay that much for her present! Ruined a romantic evening.:(