During the 1970s The Cadland became famous for the Christmas parties held in Chilwell, Long Eaton and surrounding areas, due to the ever increasing numbers that wanted to attend.

Dick & Tony Widdowson

Lenny Stevenson

Roy Foulger

Alan Richards

Louis Francis

Cliff Harvey

Ben

Alan

Frank

Kim

Terri Fisher

Carol

Catherine Greasley

and so many others.

These parties grew in size year after year and bigger venues were needed to accomodate all who wished to play.

I always fancied BARBARA YOUNG from Long Eaton/Sawley, whatever happened to her, gorgeous girl with a great body...

A long time ago but great fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I remember that crowd of Posers, the Cecil Cee lads were part of the same gang and they all ran riot with all the girls, we were so jealous and could not understand how they got in Free to all the clubs (Penny Farthing - Scamps etc) without having to join the line to enter.

Money and Cars speak a lot.

My sister worked for Chelsea Girl and went with one of the Cecil Gee lads and she told me that the Victoria Centre manager and a couple of the (girls) shop managers had a meeting with Cecil Gee's because they were making all the girls late for work and also blamed them for the staff turning up with hangovers.

Cecil Gee did have the best party in town but we were never allowed in.

I do remember Barbara Young(Great Tits)

I asked her to dance one night at Scamps but she told me to bu99er off,

she went out with that George bloke and dumped him for the manager of Cecil Gee.

She went with him for years after that and her blond mate went with Dick Widdowson for quite a while.

Both got mucked about a lot though, that crowd treated girls quite badly but girls seemed to queue up to go with them

We were so envious.... How did they do it?

I left Nottingham shorty after and went to live in Oxford and now live in Germany with a beautiful German wife and family but I do look back and think of Nottingham in the 70s and I still cannot figure out how the bloody hell did that crowd, have so many women, what were they drinking, because If I knew, I would have had some.

Good times with good memories.

Mark.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

What ever happened to:

Bob Hinchley

Kim Knott

Susan Smith and her mate Vivian

Arnold Sucis

Carol Marshall (married to the manager of Browns)

Bev (Blonde) I think her name was "Gardener"

Dianne

And

The Cecil Gee Crowd

Danny

Glenn

Roy

Steve

Ross

Phil

Difficult to remember all the names, faces are better but names I forget.

Marty

• 4 years later...

This is a bit long in the tooth (so am I these days) but I saw this topic while searching for something totally unrelated. Lived in Beeston until 1972 and went to South Africa and never really came back to Nottingham. I used the Cadland a bit but it wasn't my favourite boozer, my local was the Durham Ox in Beeston.

Anyway, I saw Lennie Stevenson and Dick Widdowsons name mentioned so thought I'd better join up and post.

Do any of you remember Murray Frew? Or Mick Simmons? Gina Furness? They were Cadland regulars.

I remember that era. Yes, it was owned by old lady Lennard. A mate of mine went out with the grand daughter, Marylyn.

Yes the Lennards and cool on Murray, it was Abbey Road, we used to get up to a lot of nonsense. Then he moved to West Bridgford and we lost touch but I did emigrate to South Africa in 1972 which may have had something to do with it :)

Just double posting here but weren't some of the Lennards in to their horses?

Marilyn ran the Leonard's Riding School opposite Grange Farm.

Still there by all accounts.

• Like 1

St. Leonards riding school is run by Sally Davison and before that her Dad George, Martin & Mal used to almost live there,Martin moved to some where near Redmile Vale of Belvoir a few years ago.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I used to know a bloke when I lived in Beeston who used to drink in The Cadland about the late 70s. His name was John Marshall and he came from the Barrow in Furness area. Does anyone recall him? I've not seen him for about 30 years

On 22 dicembre 2014 at 9:23 PM, swe62 said:

St. Leonards riding school is run by Sally Davison and before that her Dad George, Martin & Mal used to almost live there,Martin moved to some where near Redmile Vale of Belvoir a few years ago.

St Leonards riding school , there was one at Wollaton that I went to, it was my boss's husbands place.His name was Bob Davison and when he died his daughter Mary Davison took over. I know that Bobs brother also had a riding school in that area but dont know exactly where. Maybe the name was the same. When I went Sheila was the young girl who helped with the rides. Jeremy Glover the jockey used to go there too. I think he was a friend of the family. Strangely enough Mary Davison married and moved away towards Newark and eventually had a daughter named Sally but her father certainly wasnt George.  The family moved from Wollaton when they were widening the road and were forced to leave , moving to Cotgrave. Maybe its nothing to do with my Davisons but strang all the same.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Winterlong said:

I used to know a bloke when I lived in Beeston who used to drink in The Cadland about the late 70s. His name was John Marshall and he came from the Barrow in Furness area. Does anyone recall him? I've not seen him for about 30 years

I' was born in Barrow in Furness, but I don't know him.smile2

Welcome to our group hope you enjoy it.

• 10 months later...

I used to knock around with Dick Widdowson, Lenny Stevenson, Paddy Fitch a lot in the late 60's and early 70's. We would often meet up in The Cadland for a few then up to 5 of us would squeeze into Dick's mother's Triumph Spitfire and head of to a Nottingham club

Nick Russell 

• 10 months later...

I remember myself, Murray Frew cramming in to Dick Widdowsons sky blue spitfire (his mums) and going to the Bellfry. Biggest wonder we didn’t get splattered going through Ashby.

• 1 year later...

@nonnaB jeremy glover went on to be a racehorse trainer but i think he retired in 2010, in the wiki it said he was a son of a managing director of  a soap and chemical company , anyone got a clue what that company was called ? And it said Jeremy was born in Beeston .

When i lived in Bulwell hall, there was a newsagents turn right at the bottom of springfield avenue , forgot his name but remember he only had one eye , was talking about horseracing to him and he said he new Jeremy glover , and for any horseracing fans jeremy worked for famous jockey come trainer Stan mellor.