Glovers Oil and Grease Ltd. St. Peter's Street Radford. see Nottingham Live, 58 pictures of life in Radford. 2nd pic. also refers to soaps and disinfectant. Jeremy married Shelagh Shipman who worked for Cripps on Triumph Road.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
18 hours ago, David sheridan said:

@nonnaB jeremy glover went on to be a racehorse trainer but i think he retired in 2010, in the wiki it said he was a son of a managing director of  a soap and chemical company , anyone got a clue what that company was called ? And it said Jeremy was born in Beeston .

When i lived in Bulwell hall, there was a newsagents turn right at the bottom of springfield avenue , forgot his name but remember he only had one eye , was talking about horseracing to him and he said he new Jeremy glover , and for any horseracing fans jeremy worked for famous jockey come trainer Stan mellor.

Yes I knew Jeremy Glover and knew that he would always be with horses but glad he trained race horses. I didn’t know anything about him really only that when I went riding he was always there. I can’t remember whether he took us out on rides but can remember Sheila taking us out. Thursday evenings were great going out for 2 hours then calling  at the Admiral Rodney for refreshments.

There used to be a couple of older than us men who kept an eye on us . One was I think called Jim and the other Ben. Mary married Alan Watchorn and lived in Winkburn. I remember when Sally was born. I was working with Mary’s mum . Are you in touch with Sally because I would love to get in touch with her mother. It was strange because we hadn’t seen or heard from each other since 1970 when I got married but a short while ago I dreamt of Mary and spent a couple of days trying to trace her. I did eventually find her and phoned her but since I have lost her phone number.

They were happy days and many memories of Bob, Mary and John Davison.

• Like 1

Just seen that Jeremy married Sheila  (Shelagh)I always thought they were a couple.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Just seen that Jeremy married Sheila  (Shelagh)I always thought they were a couple.

Nonna, Do you think that there may have been a Sheila and a Shelagh in his life? Shelagh worked in Reception at Cripps small very pretty black-haired girl and Jeremy used to pick her up from work. She lived on Cockington Road, Bilbororough.

• Like 1

Dave  The Sheila/ Shelagh I knew years ago used to help with the horses along with Jeremy. I dont think she would have been working then. I think she still may have been at school. But the name of Shipman or similar I seem to remember was Sheila's surname. She was a very pretty girl with dark hair so I dont know. She used to be at the stables most of the time and I am sure that when she left school she went to work at " The Paddocks" in Wollaton where I used to go riding. It was a family business ( my boss's family. Bobs brother also had a riding school in Wollaton I think it was called St Leonards riding school. Sheila to me seemed to be " one of the family" and stayed with them at the house at weekends.  When the horses were riden from Wollaton to Cotgrave they were riden by some of the regular riders including me. It was a wonderful experience riding along the bypass and all the other roads  finally coming to our destination. I carried on riding for a few years but then apart from visiting my ex boss I lost contact and sadly both her and Bob died.

Bilborah seemed to ring a bell too and for her to stay with the Davisons at weekends fits in as it was probably too far to go home. Could it be that when she left school and the Paddocks were sold she worked  at Cripps..Apart from that I dont think my memory will serve me very much more.

nonna. I'm sure that it is the same person.

Most people would use the spelling Sheila but she signed Shelagh. Occasionally I would drop her off at Cockington Road as it was on my route home. She mentioned that she knew someone on a new road called Wollaton Paddocks opposite Glaisdale Drive. Would that have been the riding school originally? It all seems to tie up, just checked Ancestry Shelagh Shipman married Jeremy Glover in Southwell 1972.

Dave , i dont know about a road called Wollaton Paddocks but the name of the riding school /  stables that i went to was called The Paddocks it used to be on trowell road. The Davisons ( the owners ) lived at 14 Trowell road and The Paddocks was a little further along the road. Cant exactly remember why or what but think they were widening the road and thats why the stables had to close. It left the horses to be ridden to Cotgrave where they bought a fairly large property with land enough for the horses and a jumping track ( which I remember well as the horse I was on after finishing the jumps decided it was teatime and went hell for leather up to his box) If i remember correctly the house was called Hollygate House or something 

I dont know Wollaton well so cant say it was opposite Glaisdale road. It does seem to be the same person and youre right people do spell the easiest way with names. Do you still see her? 

A thing that has struck me was they were married in Southall. Mrs Davison moved somewhere near Southall but cant remember if her husband was still alive. I know they thought the world of her.

35 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Dave , i dont know about a road called Wollaton Paddocks but the name of the riding school /  stables that i went to was called The Paddocks it used to be on trowell road. The Davisons ( the owners ) lived at 14 Trowell road and The Paddocks was a little further along the road.

This is 14 Trowell Road today (behind a hedge).   

https://goo.gl/maps/RH6VPNaXd32xx3P86

So presumably The Paddocks was somewhere to the left or right of this.

I'm pretty certain that the said stables was where Wollaton Paddocks now is (adjacent to Glaisdale drive). I, and mate (Tony) went there for riding lessons. That would be about 1960, when I were still at Raleigh S/A machine shop. They had to ask us to stop going because we were too heavy for the ponies, who had already been out on two rides, and it wasn't fair on them. We weren't that big, but I figured it was because we went in ordinary clothes and had no riding gear, (Tony used go in a suit). For me it was just a fad.

3 hours ago, nonnaB said:

dont know Wollaton well so cant say it was opposite Glaisdale road. It does seem to be the same person and youre right people do spell the easiest way with names. Do you still see her? 

nonna I've not seen her since about 1974/5 but another girl called Sonia worked at Cripps, Sonia married into the family that owned the Commodore, she ran the Tudor grill and bar she was still in touch with her a few years back.

Thanks all the same for the information Dave even though it didnt go anywhere but it was appreciated.

CT I replied on how’s my day because I couldn’t get back in to answer you. 
Barrie I used to go around 1963 , used to go Sundays and Thursday evenings on a 2 hr ride so we’d have missed each other.

On 6/22/2022 at 11:49 AM, nonnaB said:

They were happy days and many memories of Bob, Mary and John Davison.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:41 PM, nonnaB said:

She used to be at the stables most of the time and I am sure that when she left school she went to work at " The Paddocks" in Wollaton where I used to go riding.

In the old phone directories The Paddocks Riding School is listed as Trowell Road, Wollaton. Unfortunately it doesn't give a specific number. It disappears around 1966 but had been there since the 1930s.

And an old NEP report from 1962 mentions a Mr R Davison as the Proprietor.

• Like 1

Thank you CT yes The Paddocks were on Trowell road on the opposite side to where the Davisons lived at 14 but it was a bit of a walk from there. Yes I knew Bob had been there a long long time so believed it was his fathers place, maybe.

1966 sounds about right as that was about the time they moved to Cotgrave. No it must have been before that. In ' 66 I went to visit an American penfriend in Kentucky. Mrs Davison gave me 3 months time off to go and at that time I think they were already at Cotgrave and had been for a couple of years.  I remember that she always arrived fairly later in the morning to work due to the connections of buses Cotgrave to New Basford.

Maybe the 1962 EP article was when he was forced to move due to the widening of the road.

Thank you once again.