Lunatic Asylum of Radford

Hello Listers

I have a Death certificate of a lady ( I think is related to be confirmed)

Ann RETCHFORD died in 28 May 1843, On the certificate This Lunatic Asylum was in the Registration District of RADFORD in the Sub district of Snenton. Thomas POWELL was the occupier of this place.

Can anyone help out on any info that maybe available on her and the Asylum.

Thank you !

Tony

The two places mentioned are actually a couple of miles apart...( Radford...Sneinton) We on here can help with some local knowledge but some of your requests for information can be dredged from websites that require payment for information.You can find these on your own computer and will have to dig information yourself. Mick2me... might be able to suggest one or two routes to take.

The two places mentioned are actually a couple of miles apart...( Radford...Sneinton) We on here can help with some local knowledge but some of your requests for information can be dredged from websites that require payment for information.You can find these on your own computer and will have to dig information yourself. Mick2me... might be able to suggest one or two routes to take.

Thats not a problem ..I am open to suggestions!!

What local knowledge do you have ?

DO NOT JOIN ANCESTRY.COM till I send you information.

The above and other research sites give you information that members here will be able to expand on.

There was also 'Mapperley Madhouse' as it was known locally, that only closed a few years ago.........or is it still open?

I used to do contract work in a few of these places in the 70's, around Mansfield, Derby, Stoke, Ashbourne area we must have had our fare share of cranially challenged beings, lots of the inmates wore protective helmets, like Rugby headgear, looked like an 'allblacks' training session when they were let out on sunny days.............

Mapperley Hospital closed down in 1994. I worked there for two years doing psychiatry. St Anns Hospital at Thorneywood Mount has also closed but some mental health services are based there including child psychiatry.

Last February I visited the county archives to do some research on the old hospital.

The 'female' side of the hospital still exists but is now the mental health head quarters-( PCT ) and houses the teaching department. The 'male' side is flats. The old hospital chapel still exsists but deconsecrated. There is, where the old sports ground used to be, a new mental health unit-Wells Road Centre.

When the hospital closed some patients were transferred to Highbury Hospital. It was a very fascinating place in its hay day.

The records at the county archives were very interesting.

Kind regards

Tony

• Upvote 1

More information about the Asylum here, with an indication of available records which are held at Nottingham Archives

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=2517&page=78

Hello

I have been in touch with them and they replied and they do have some info of interest.. so will follow it through!

Tony

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Definatly Phil.............I counted 11 for myself...............but never fell off a Horse in the War.............lol.

My paternal great grandmother died in Bagthorpe, which I think was on the site of Highbury hospital, in 1930, suffering from dementia.

Great grandma gave birth to 12 children, 6 of whom died as babies. Of the other six children, one died of a brain tumour as a 14 year old and the youngest was blown to pieces by a shell on the battlefields of the First World War. Is it any wonder she was a bit deranged?