Children of the Slums went to School?

Hello

I have ancestors who lived in Count street of Nottingham .. I found out was in the Slum district.. I am wondering did they have schooling or any form of education?

Cheers

Tony

Australia

Hello

I have ancestors who lived in Count street of Nottingham .. I found out was in the Slum district.. I am wondering did they have schooling or any form of education?

Cheers

Tony

Australia

HI TONY

DEPENDS ON WHAT PERIOD YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. AND OF COURSE THE CHILDS FAMILY. BUT MANY CHILDREN IN THIS AREA HAD NO FORMAL EDUCATION AND WOULD BE TRAINED TO DO THE WORK THEIRE PARENTS DID FROM THE AGE OF 6 OR 7 YEARS MANY IN THIS AREA WERE LACE WORKERS AMD WORED FROM HOME ALSO MANY SMALL LEATHER WORKS IN THIS AREA MY GRAND FATHER AND GREAT GRANDFATHER LIVED IN THIS AREA LATE 1800S AND WERE LEATHER DRESSESS GREAT GRAND FATHER LATER OWNED SEVERAL OF THE LODGING HOUSES UNTILL HE DIED IN 1920S MY GRANDFATHER HAD ALREADY DIED BY THIS TIME. MY FATHER HAVING BEEN BORN 1908 AND HAD TWO YOUNGER SISTERS.

SOME OF THE SLUM CHILDREN MAY HAVE GONE TO THE RAGGED SCOOL SNEINTON MARKET WHICH WAS ABOUT TEN MINUETS WALK FROM THIS AREA I KNOW MY OWN GRANDFATHER WENT HERE AS DID MY FATHER IT WOULD COST ABOUT 1 PENNY PER WEEK AND THE FAMILIES WHO WISHED THER CHILDREN TO GET ON IN LIFE WOULD STRUGGLE TO FIND THIS FOR THE CHILDREN ESPESSIALLY IF THEY WERE BOYS

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU A BIT

BABS.

Hello Babs

thats interesting stuff... the time frame I am in is 1803 - 1818 , My ancestor was a Cordwainer in Drury Hill. They may have known each other .. who knows!!!

Thanks

Tony