Nearest Sam's club is Springfield, a fair drive from where I live Eric, 3 hours or more. I live in the Ozarks in a county of around 7500 population, largest town locally, 60 miles that is local here, West Plains, around 22,000 population. Very rural Eric!!

The shopping is one of the only things I really miss living where I do. To be able to nip down to a home building centre, pick out my own 2X4's at real cheap prices, drop by Sam's club or Cosco once a month to see what's on special etc etc.

BUT, I don't have to breathe exhaust fumes where I live, land taxes very low, cost of living pretty low and no bloody building permits to worry about if I want to erect a shed, tower house etc.... So, my quality of life is far higher than city dwellers...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm finding out about the warranty business Eric!! I did find a "bricks and mortar" store that sells on Ebay who are authorized dealers for all the top camera brands. I may end up taking my business to them, "Cameta Camera" Been in business many years. More research to do today!!

Ian, I pulled a scanned negative from my files this morning and spent about an hour on it, so will upload before and after photos to Photobucket and post them here later for you to see what can be done.

Here the before and after using Photoshop 7 to work on them. No remember I only put an hour or so into this. This also gives you some idea how much my 35mm negatives have deteriorated too.

SN01reduced.jpg

SN01Areduced.jpg

I was messing with Elements this morning too. (Unfortunately my Scanner / printer has packed up completely so I can't do any old pics at the moment , but I played with these to pull the "Spit" a bit closer into formation. First time I've tried this

IMG_9230_edited-1.jpg

IMG_9231_edited-1.jpg

Sony cameras (formerly Minolta) are really quite good, Carl Zeiss do some of the lenses for them and they're one of the best in the business. As for the kit lenses that come with Canon and Nikon cameras - they're not as bad as some people make them out to be.

I have "Elements" somewhere and have never used it, I haven't even been through all the tools that Photoshop 7 has yet!! Bit like the text editor I use for webpage construction, have only "skimmed" the surface of what it can do.

I'd assume thats the "Rebel XS Eric??

I'm looking at Cameta Camera of New York putting a Nikon D5000 "kit" together for me, full warranty on everything. I found them on Ebay, but do have a full "bricks and mortar" store on Long Island, been in business for over 20 years. Sent them an email yesterday and they responded in less than an hour!! The D5000 uses a mosfet sensor rather than CCD. Very impressive camera, auto focus, when set up and vibration reduction feature.

You can't really go wrong with a Nikon! The only difference I notice is the software, but it is really not massively different.

There are a number of those camera stores in NY - I have had good luck with THESE GUYS. Prices are a little higher, but when I mis-ordered a flash for Mary (wrong version for her camera), they sent the replacement BEFORE I had shipped the wrong one back! Great service and very friendly support staff on the phone!

Link came up with a 404 error Eric, not B&H is it??? That's where I bought my Epson scanner and photo printer from if it is.

Here's a daft question Eric

When you posted that link it says THESE GUYS and hides the actual www. address , how do you do that ?? I just copy and paste the addy in or if I can remember it I'll type it manually.

And on the subject of Scanners/ Printers/ photocopiers, you mention Epson John . I can pick up a 2009 model http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-Stylus-SX115-Printer-Individual/dp/B0029U2FNO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279986257&sr=8-8

For around 40 quid to replace mine which went west yesterday!! any body got one of these?? any good or should I shell out the extra 20 odd quid for the 2010 model??

Yep, B&H it is!

Beefy: To make those links, use the "full editor", then one of the icons along the upper edge looks like chain link, click on it. You will get a box with two fields to complete - the first is for the URL, the second you type the text you want to appear, then click the "insert" button!

My Epson printer is strictly a photograph printer Ian, not designed to print text, it's the Stlus Photo 825.

Probably some of the best cheap printers that do a fantastic job are the Kodak 3in1 one jobs. They don't use inks they use dyes that are guaranteed not to fade over the years, don't know how much you'd pay for them, but when they give up the ghost just toss them and start again. They do great copies, good quality printing, not tried to print a photo yet on one.

Don't forget to highlite whatever word you want to use as a link!! ie Kodak printers.

This is about as close to mine as what's available today.

41H13NEXMEL._AA300_.jpg

I tried one of those when I first started digital (About 6 years ago ) and didn't like it . I have (Had) a Dell Photo 924, which did a great job (Till it died for no apparent reason!!)

You'd probably like the Kodak's then, they use ink cartridges, the print heads are in the printer.

The Epson I have will print out from a roll of photo paper, I needed that to do panoramic photos, it also prints sheets of various sizes, cost me over 500 bucks seven years ago, a tidy sum for a printer back then!! They are probably still double the price of standard home type printers.

Here's the specs of it. Epson 825

Daftest thing has just happened; I had cleaned up everything (USB, power leads, connections, etc) and still had no joy , hence the reason for looking for a new one , this was yesterday. I tried again earlier today , to no avail, then I've just tried one last time before disconnecting it and putting it in the car for a visit to the tip tomorrow, and blow me it's started working perfectly again!! even the scanner (Which packed up about 4 months ago!!!) How long for ,? god only knows but it's saved me a few bob for a bit longer!!

My guess would be a power supply problem Ian. Most equipment these days use what's called a switching power supply, biggest problems with those are twofold, dry soldered joints and electrolytic capacitor failure. My VHF/UHF ham radio has one of those supplies built in and I have to replace all the electrolytic caps in it one day. It gave up the ghost a few years ago but the radio works perfectly well on an external power supply.

Finally ordered the DSLR camera. Settled on a "factory demo, factory refurbished" Nikon D5000 with a Nikon 18-55mm and a 55-200mm lens. There's a full years warranty on both lenses, 90 day factory warranty plus the dealer covers the rest to one year from purchase on the camera body. There's a spare battery, image recovery software, 16 gig SD card, "gadget" bag lens cleaning kit and a pack of LCD monitor protectors.

The camera is capable of "point and shoot" if I want to set it up that way, auto focus and anti vibration to reduce blurring, has HD video with sound capabilities and will sing dance and whistle "Dixie" all at the same time... Well nearly!!

Now all I have to do, when it arrives is learn how to operate it!!

I'll be setting a website up to post pictures of this area on within the next few months. As soon as I do I'll post a link to it to let the good folks back in the "old country" see what a beautiful area this is. Well actually, the site will be for the wife's business to let her out of state customers get some idea of the "lay of the land".

Never been a lover of Nikon.

Always been a Canon fan from the days of the FD lenses.

Before Digital, I used the Nikon FM2 in the job that I do.

Couldnt complain about that. Its been soaked, frozen, thrown around, dropped, and still worked.

Now with the coming of digital, they forced us to use the Nikon D200.

Cost £2500 for the body before the lens was added when we first got them.

This camera fails to auto focus even in bright light!

Has too many catchy little nobs that get caught in your clothing

when you are carrying it. Sometimes the focus button gets changed to

off, and you end up with out of focus images till you notice.

Nikon Digital, not for me thank you very much!

The D200 is a pro camera. The D2000 and D3000 are "entry level" cameras, not so involved and don't have half the features you use Mick. Although if you do the "run" of the photographic sections of forums the pros like the Nikon D200, maybe yours is faulty Mick???

I'm surprise it only has 10.2mp Mick! I'd have thought at that price at least 15mp's!!

That's almost a thousand bucks Mick, out of my range..

My new toy should be in my sweaty greasy palms later today!!