As some of you know I was born and lived in Bulwell till I was 20, I lived very close to the LNER viaduct where the Lido was. I always rememeber my parents refering to an engine(train ?) coming over the viaduct that they always called "The Dicky Dido"...To this day I still dont know why it was called that, does anyone know the answer so that I can go to my grave in peace????

Owdtite...... :rolleyes:

As some of you know I was born and lived in Bulwell till I was 20, I lived very close to the LNER viaduct where the Lido was. I always rememeber my parents refering to an engine(train ?) coming over the viaduct that they always called "The Dicky Dido"...To this day I still dont know why it was called that, does anyone know the answer so that I can go to my grave in peace????

Owdtite...... :rolleyes:

Hi Owdtite, how are things down south in Caithness.

The only time I came across the words Dicky Dido was in an old rugby song to the tune of the Ash Grove. The verses are far too blue for a family forum like this.

Hi Oldace, Wet as usual in Caithness but luckily not much wind for a change....Yes, I remember that song, something about coloured pubic hairs wasnt it?

I am sure thats not what my Parents meant when they used to say..."Heres the Dicky Dido"...mind you, then again!!!!!

Owdtite... !tanning!

Hi Oldace, Wet as usual in Caithness but luckily not much wind for a change....Yes, I remember that song, something about coloured pubic hairs wasnt it?

I am sure thats not what my Parents meant when they used to say..."Heres the Dicky Dido"...mind you, then again!!!!!

Owdtite... !tanning!

That's right Owdtite, apparently it's common among some of the Glamorgan girls.

The weather up here in Shetland is overcast with no wind, the sea is flat calm.

The Simmer Dim is almost over, that means that soon there will be no light in the sky at night.

Then it's the winter to look forward to, short days and force 12's, and we love it.

"Dicky Dido"

Nickname given to the railway workers train which shuttled between Bulwell Common Station and Annesley loco...

DIDO being the acronym for Day in/Day out...

Cheers

Robt P.

"Dicky Dido"

Nickname given to the railway workers train which shuttled between Bulwell Common Station and Annesley loco...

DIDO being the acronym for Day in/Day out...

Cheers

Robt P.

Awww...cheers Rob, thanks so much for that and it makes sense.....I am sorry for asking but it was one of those things that stick in your head from being a kid and still playing on my mind at 63....Thanks to you I can now rest in peace..Thanks Rob!!

Owdtite.... !cheers!

Awww...cheers Rob, thanks so much for that and it makes sense.....I am sorry for asking but it was one of those things that stick in your head from being a kid and still playing on my mind at 63....Thanks to you I can now rest in peace..Thanks Rob!!

Owdtite.... !cheers!

there was a cave on the railway off st albans road that was called dicky dido cave that was in the early sixties

Hi Old Ace .

You comming to Skegness reunion only 5 days now if you are well see you there and say hello .Yes we know who you are but wonder if we can recognise one another thats the question. Do you remember piggy and me . By the way big Mick Marriotts 65th birthday on the friday. one or two surprizes planed for him on friday night so hope to see you there.

Me thinks it could be a mistake between Owdtight and Old Ace??

I think if Old Ace were to go to the reunion they would've had to have set off by now.................LOL

• 10 months later...

I lived near Bulwell Common and saw the dido many many times in the 1950's and early 1960's. Monday to Saturday it normally ran via the GC/GN connection at the bottom of the golf course through Bestwood. On Sundays it went via the GC main line over the viaduct.

Locos I remember were C12 67363 and N7 69651 & 69695. The last one I can remember was standard 84007, but there were others including LMS Ivatt 2-6-2T's. Eventually it became a Trent bus.

Locos I remember were C12 67363 and N7 69651 & 69695. The last one I can remember was standard 84007, but there were others including LMS Ivatt 2-6-2T's.

Someone even took photos of them and they are both on the same page of a book. I've left the text in to save me trying to explain the technicalities which I don't understand

2pic.jpg

The only time that a Dido ride was wangled (accompanying my Annesley driver Uncle), the loco was Colwick B1 61163.

We travelled, there and back, via the GC main line..

Cheers

Robt P.

• Upvote 1

Re: #12

The Coaches have either been turned round or changed.

The signals were interesting all the mine line & loop signals were upper quadrants. The three from the sidings were lower quadrants, proberbly GCR originals.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

#12. Lower photo. Can see Bestwood Est in the background. and what looks like a 'Trent' Bus heading along Hucknall Rd.

Them wut days.

• Upvote 1

#12. I have never seen a photograph of a train travelling on the stretch of Great Northern line from the Hucknall Road/Arnold Road crossroads down to Moor Bridge. Anyone got one?

It reminds me of an ex-Annersley driver I knew. When the shed closed some of them came to Rolls-Royce as labourers. One, Lol Topley, told me that he had spent hours waiting for the signal on that line that allowed him on to the line into Bestwood. One day he was there that long that he fell asleep waiting. When he woke up, his fireman had let the fire go out.

• Upvote 1

In the book 'The Great Northern Railway in the East Midlands Vol.2' by Alfred Henshaw, published by the RCTS in 2000,there are two photos of Bulwell Forest station, plus one of a train on the embankment north of the station, and one of engines awaiting scrapping at Rigley's wagon works.

There also some in the book 'Railways in and Around Nottingham' by V. Forster & W. Taylor, published by Foxline in 1991 - two more photos of Bulwell Forest station, one with a railtour train, and one of a goods train passing the signal box. There is also one of an engine next to Leen Valley junction signal box, but I don't recall seeing any photos taken between that junction and Bulwell Forest station.

I haven't scanned any of the above photos because being large softback books it's not easy to do (not for me anyway!)

• Upvote 2