the pop factory next to the nags head....

I worked at Redgates in Traffic Street for about six months in 1956. I worked both in the factory and as a lorry boy delivering Pop. My driver was a guy named Sid Stokes. I don't think he'd be around now. Great guy.

I also worked at Daybrook Home Brewery as a Boiler room watchkeeper in the early sixties after five years in the Navy.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On the bar yesterday in The Loxley Pelham Street, quite nice & refreshing, I was the only one in our party that spotted the "Pop factory link to the ale" I was the second oldest   

whoops! should have mentioned which nags head! it was jones's near the mill cafe, now a volvo dealership. on a similar note, anybody know the name of the pop factory on highbury vale, opposite (ish) t

My next door neighbour on Amesbury Circus was one Jack Taylor, a Redgate's pop delivery man. Always came home totally exhausted, partly through his work but - primarily - because of his numerous meth

That seems a bit of a con. It's brewed by Oldershaws of Grantham with absolutely no connection to The Home Brewery. I lived until 1962 not far from the brewery and could regularly smell a waft of malt in the air on brewing days. The chairman of Home Brewery, Hordern Farr, used to live on Beck St. in nearby Thurgarton and his local was, of course, The Coach and Horses on Main St. I remember him being berated by local farmers for buying imported barley in preference to British because it was cheaper!  

15 hours ago, radfordred said:

"Pop factory link to the ale"

I don't want my beer to taste like oranges or flowers or any other plant matter. I want it to taste like beer, malt and hops are ok though.

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

The mention of Barrs in Mansfield comes from the takeover of the Mansfield Brewery owned Mandora Soft Drinks (Mandora St Clements Ltd), of Bellamy Road by Barrs Soft Drinks in Dec 1987/Jan 1988.

They may have made/bottled Iron Brew there after that??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/4/2010 at 3:25 PM, littlebro said:

Here is an interesting article about Carter's

History of Carter's Soft Drinks

Many thanks for the interesting read.I worked for Carters soft drinks co.in Sawley from around 1989I operated the 2 old gold coloured blow moulding machines.i can't remember the name of the machines, but I do remember the third blow moulding machine.The French manufactured SIDEL,which produced 2ltr plastic bottles,at a rate of 6,500 per hour.It was around 2 years later when I transferred to the Kegworth plant, and operated 2 SIDELs,side by side, producing 250ml bottles at I think 8,000 per hour, and 2 ltr bottles at I think,10,000 per hour.This machine sometimes produced 1 ltr bottles,depending on demand.I worked 12 hour shifts of 06:00 to 18:00 4 on,4 off, and 18:00 to 06:00 4 on,4 off.I left in around 1995/6 to become a bus driver.I remember Felix Dony from Hero,who put in a massive investment in carters,to get the Hero brand recognised in the U.K.I think Hero was a european brand/company, but I might be wrong.It was at this time, that Carters/Hero produced a new cola to the market,Virgin Cola.Richard Branson was invited to see a production run of his cola.He accepted, and attended a run.he was so impressed that he allegedly offered Felix Dony,£10million for the Kegworth plant.bearing in mind that phase 4, the newest extension cost £25million.My mum who lives in Devon,says that she can still buy Carters Keg Shandy, and Carters bitter lemon in Devon.I assume it is manufactured at Kegworth by Cott,who bought Carters around 1999/2000.Only recently, in 2019,Cott sold out to Refresco for £1.2billion.