the pop factory next to the nags head....

......what the heck was its name? i was talking to a mate at work who did some work at the owners house years ago and we've both been racking our brains trying to remember what the place was called, plus a mate of mine worked for them for years, and we would hang around his house drinking free pop! i should know it but its just gone!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On the bar yesterday in The Loxley Pelham Street, quite nice & refreshing, I was the only one in our party that spotted the "Pop factory link to the ale" I was the second oldest   

whoops! should have mentioned which nags head! it was jones's near the mill cafe, now a volvo dealership. on a similar note, anybody know the name of the pop factory on highbury vale, opposite (ish) t

My next door neighbour on Amesbury Circus was one Jack Taylor, a Redgate's pop delivery man. Always came home totally exhausted, partly through his work but - primarily - because of his numerous meth

whoops! should have mentioned which nags head! it was jones's near the mill cafe, now a volvo dealership. on a similar note, anybody know the name of the pop factory on highbury vale, opposite (ish) the oxford pub, could have been corona, but i thought that corona was a national brand not a local nottingham brand.

i still love cream soda from tasting corona's back in the day!

• Upvote 1

Yup, and Alpine (Worked there for a bit messen!!) Barrs was in Mansfield, (They made Irn Brew, so it was a load of cobblers their add which had the punch/tag line, "Made in Scotland , from Girders!!"

OOOOOPPSS nearly forgot, Gran Shan. The "Gran Shan man" used to come round Carlton on a Wednesday lunch , so our mam made us stop school dinners that day , so as we weren't cadging dosh from her to buy some pop!!!!

Then there was Taylors in Long Eaton and, more popular, Carters in Sawley. Sadly, both now gone - the huge Carters factory is now a housing estate!

The Co-Op certainly had its own pop, which was probably relabeled, or produced by one of the major bottlers. However, from what I remember of my time at the Co-Op, it was not very popular. We sold Carters alongside the Co-Op brand and, despite the Co-Op label being considerably cheaper, I would say they were outsold by Carters at least 20:1!

I can still taste Carter's Dandelion & Burdock - and have never found another D&B to be anywhere near as good!

Then there was Taylors in Long Eaton and, more popular, Carters in Sawley. Sadly, both now gone - the huge Carters factory is now a housing estate!

Carters of Sawley moved to Junction 24 of the M1 at Kegworth and was then purchased by Hero. It is still running and is now owned/trading as Cott.

I recall Carters pioneered the plastic pop bottle [PEP?], they were made on site in Sawley.

Nottingham Coop did in fact bottle their own Pop

In the late 60's The factory was on Meadow lane near the Coop Dairy, opposite the County Ground.

There was also a shoe repair Factory and a Coal yard there, The Shoe place was certainly Coop,

I think the coal yard was as well.

Thanks for that - I didn't know they had moved, rather than just closed!

I do remember the news when they started the plastic "on site" bottle manufacturing. Surprisingly, over here many of the bottlers still do not make the bottles on-site. I was once involved in a project to develop a collapsible 2-litre bottle so that they could be transported to the bottler in the collapsed state enabling a LOT more bottles to be loaded onto a truck! At the time, the volume of the bottles prevented the trucks being loaded to anywhere near their limit - so transporting the empty bottles was relatively expensive. I believe it is still true that the most expensive item in a bottle, or can, of pop is the transportation!

That's a good Long Eaton website - I visit it often!

I believe there is a plaque on the wall of one of the new houses commemorating that it was the location of Carter's pop factory!

I can still taste Carter's Dandelion & Burdock - and have never found another D&B to be anywhere near as good!

Have to agree...my 50's/60's idea of a real meal was a Sando's Beef Pie washed down with Carter's D&B!

Perhaps the best of the current (limited) D&B selection is the the ASDA, no added sugar, version.

My grandkids have become quite addicted, causing me some grief from my daughter...

Cheers

Robt P.

Next time over Eric, find a Morrisons and drink their own brand (Not low sugar!!) Dandelion and Burdock. (It's only 48p for 2 litres too) Closest I can remember to my childhood.

I can't find anything (Other than Vimto) that is anywhere near as nice as "PORTELLO" though.

When I worked at Alpine (Lilac Grove , Beeston) I was told that if some one walked in off of the street and bought a bottle from the factory (29p for 1.1 litre at the time) the companies profit was 27p !!!! Just 2p for the bottle and the pop !!!

WHAT ABOUT CORONA I WAS TOLD THEY HAD A FICTORY OR DEPO SOMEWERE IN BASEFORD BUT DONT KNOW WERE.

WE USED TO HAVE THE POP MAN EVERY WEEK WHEN WE LIVED ON CAVENDISH RD BEEFFY BUT THOUGHT IT WAS CORONA MAN BUT COULD BE WRONG.

Appologies to Rob , I hadn't seen your post before I added my thoughts re D&B.

There were all sorts came round IMMSC , Gran Shan was just the one that sprang to mind!! I know , from working there , that Alpine had one came round Carlton, as did Redgates. He used to deliver to the old corner shop (Corner of Cavendish Road and Garden City) on a Thursday, (He always left two bottles lite in the school summer holidays....LOL Sorry)

My next door neighbour on Amesbury Circus was one Jack Taylor, a Redgate's pop delivery man.

Always came home totally exhausted, partly through his work but - primarily - because of his numerous methods of securing payment from customer housewives :tongue:

Cheers

Robt P.

• Upvote 1