the pop factory next to the nags head....

I wish !!!

The closest i ever got to an encounter was in Clifton one Saturday morning , when the door was opened by a rather voluptuous blond in a very , very , see through negligee, with nothing on underneath it!!. On the down side was the three kids, and the teeth like a row of 300 year old tombstones, more gaps than memorials!!. I let my van lad do that one from then on!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On the bar yesterday in The Loxley Pelham Street, quite nice & refreshing, I was the only one in our party that spotted the "Pop factory link to the ale" I was the second oldest   

whoops! should have mentioned which nags head! it was jones's near the mill cafe, now a volvo dealership. on a similar note, anybody know the name of the pop factory on highbury vale, opposite (ish) t

My next door neighbour on Amesbury Circus was one Jack Taylor, a Redgate's pop delivery man. Always came home totally exhausted, partly through his work but - primarily - because of his numerous meth

Redgates was on Traffic st Wilford road end, not sure if it produced the pop or just supply/delivery depot.

Yes, they did make the stuff there, cos I worksd there for one week !.........................Exactly 43 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Very near Christmas for several years I would nip to Redfern’s factory on Highbury vale to stock up on pop and the like, I knew a lad who’s uncle owned or he might had known the owner of said establishment, anyway, it was a long time ago now and my recollection skills are fading with age.

It’s a long shot but I’m wondering is this lad still living in Nottingham, the last I heard he was married, no children and living on Hemseldale estate his name is Alan Croome.

Sue x

My dad was doing some signwriting for Redgate's around the time of the Coronation, and he came home with 3 bottles of pop, red, clear and blue, for the red white and blue of the flag. Not sure how they made the blue, blueberries were unheard of then.

!englandflag! I know its mainly beer not pop, but does anyone remember the advert on telly for beer delivery by 'Davenports', I never saw a lorry in Nott'm, and heard it was far too expensive to be bought by ordinary folk, only really posh people bought beer via Davenports!!

Like people wot lived in Wollaton & West Bridgford !cheers!

Hey Kath, my dad did signwriting too! The only one I remember that was on view to the general public was the hanging sign on "The Anchor" pub at Kegworth. It was there for several years.

Learned his trade doing hand lettering on Midland General buses at Langley Mill!

Well, I goo to the foot of our stairs, not many signwriters around then and even less nowadays. My dad went to the College of Art in Nottingham, but not full time like nowadays, he was on day release. He won cups for his work, my brother still has them.

Paulus, Davenports came around the Bells Lane Estate in the 50's and you can't get much more down to earth than that place!

It’s a long shot but I’m wondering is this lad still living in Nottingham, the last I heard he was married, no children and living on Hemseldale estate his name is Alan Croome.

Sue x

Hi Sue, I am sure I went to school with Alan Croome at Springfield Juniors on Bulwell Hall Est, the Croomes were a well known family in the St Albans Rd area of Bulwell, the one I remember very well was Janice. iloveyoutoo They also had a mens hairdressers shop on St Albans Rd and also a general grocers shop. Both were near the level crossing just up from Carey Road is now.

Small world innit??

Owdtite.... :rolleyes:

"Davenports" you say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIQyOaRuUKc&feature=related

And that's what I say!!! (Part One)

and a witty take on the "theme tune " (Stay with it!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6DBH3Y5964

I think there was a Davenports pub on the main road (A6) in Shardlow too. Wasn't it brewed by M&B?

Yes and Yes, Eric...

Went in the pub several times, but jiggered if I can remember the name.

Davenports was primarily a West Midlands company, hence the Mitchells & Butler connection...every Brum street had about 12 of their delivery vans... but we were subject to their mass advertising as it was the era of ATV Midlands, prior to any form of East/West regional TV split...the dreadful days of the diabolical Noelle Gordon, Lunchbox, Larry Grayson, Bob Price & Cyril Fletcher in the garden and Cheshire Cat [sorry Ian!] Gary Newbon reporting on sport!

Cheers

Robt P.

Was it "The Navigation"? Never went myself - used to go further towards Derby to what is now the "Dog & Duck" (I think it was The Sun), 'cause they were a Marstons pub!

Yes that was it...well jogged!

Vaguely recalled the name connected with the nearby sailing facility.

My in-laws formerly lived in Shardlow, which accounted for my occasional drink there...also used the Marston's pub, but less so...

Cheers

Robt P.

Hi Sue, I am sure I went to school with Alan Croome at Springfield Juniors on Bulwell Hall Est, the Croomes were a well known family in the St Albans Rd area of Bulwell, the one I remember very well was Janice. iloveyoutoo They also had a mens hairdressers shop on St Albans Rd and also a general grocers shop. Both were near the level crossing just up from Carey Road is now.

Small world innit??

Owdtite.... :rolleyes:

I believe too he was a member of the TA, worked his way up from being a cadet to gunnery sergeant but that’s about it, we lost touch many many years ago.

Not sure about the connection to the hair dressing side of things but there could have been one, might explain why his hair was always perfect.

Sue x

whoops! should have mentioned which nags head! it was jones's near the mill cafe, now a volvo dealership. on a similar note, anybody know the name of the pop factory on highbury vale, opposite (ish) the oxford pub, could have been corona, but i thought that corona was a national brand not a local nottingham brand.

i still love cream soda from tasting corona's back in the day!

The factory was Redferns.

• 9 months later...

I've just had my memory jogged !!

I was watching that documentary about "Brian Clough, the best manger England never had" this morning and when it moved on to the bit of his life where he moves to Florist (sic) they showed a corporation bus with an advert for "Mandora" pop on the side , I'm pretty sure that was the name , only SWMBO has deleted it and I can't find it on the iplayer to confirm it to myself.

• 3 weeks later...

whoops! should have mentioned which nags head! it was jones's near the mill cafe, now a volvo dealership. on a similar note, anybody know the name of the pop factory on highbury vale, opposite (ish) the oxford pub, could have been corona, but i thought that corona was a national brand not a local nottingham brand.

This was Redferns pop factory, some kids would nick pop bottles from their yard and take them round the front for the " Deposit "

• 4 years later...

Very near Christmas for several years I would nip to Redferns factory on Highbury vale to stock up on pop and the like, I knew a lad whos uncle owned or he might had known the owner of said establishment, anyway, it was a long time ago now and my recollection skills are fading with age.

Its a long shot but Im wondering is this lad still living in Nottingham, the last I heard he was married, no children and living on Hemseldale estate his name is Alan Croome.

Sue x

Alan has a sports shop in Arnold and is/was involved with Arnold Town FC, that's if it's the same one.

the pop factory on highbury vale opposit oxford pub was redferns