Shops on Alfreton Road & Stork Club

Ooooh, Stephen Ford! You've just ruined my day! You mentioned the Irish maths teacher. "Are ye tryin' to be funny?" (as she frequently demanded of me on the odd occasions when I did answer one of her questions).

I'm glad you recall the wooden blocks. My favourite activity was putting them together with my eyes closed to see whether I ever actually got a complete picture. More often, it was a peculiar admixture of parts of the six different images but occasionally, (very occasionally) I'd end up with a whole correct image.

Now, I called this "fun" but if you want to read more into it, I could have been experimenting with the early stages of "probability", could I not?

Why am I suddenly looking over my shoulder for chalk missiles? I tell you, I'm scarred for life. You do realise, Stephen, that I shall now be compelled to go and make some triangular sandwiches for my lunch (scalene, of course) so that I can work out the length of the hippopotamus before eating them!

• 3 years later...

Anyone remember the Stork Club, ? Situated at the very bottom end of Alfreton Road, opp the Le Grand pub.

Spent many Saturday nights in there after the pubs closed. Happy days.

The old building soon to be demolished.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/two-derelict-sites-in-nottingham-s-alfreton-road-to-be-redeveloped/story-30332803-detail/story.html

I think I have mentioned this before. At one time the Stork Club was run by an old school classmate of mine, Brian Austin. He can be seen playing the violin in the photo I posted of the Crane School orchestra. It was Brian who gave me the nickname Chulla. Him and I were out of the same mould in that we saw the funny side of everything and could never take anything seriously. He died many years ago.

Yes I remember the Stork Club, my friend and I used to end up there occasionally on a Wednesday evening with a few of the Forest players, their last night out before a Saturday game. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

There were two threads called "Stork club" so I've merged them. I don't think anything has been lost in the process.

And it also gets a few mentions in this thread, starting at #42  https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/2545-alfreton-road/?page=2

And if you put Stork in the Search box, you'll get several more as well.  You'll also get several threads where Benjamin talks about his margarine memories.

• Upvote 1

The pic in #7 is my parents old cafe on the left, and chippy on the right. Great days in the 50's and early 60's.

• Upvote 1

My sister and I have bought fish and chips, pies and peas there many times for a Friday night treat in the 60s when we were children, FLY2. She always had to have a pickled gherkin as well! I remember  being served with our order by a very kind man with dark hair. Don't know whether that would be your dad, FLY but he always had a smile. Happy days.

Dad sold the chippy about 61 - 62, and mum the cafe a year or so later Jill. Dad had fairly wavy dark hair, and was always amicable so it may have been him.

• 1 year later...

Used to advertise for the Stork club''.........well you could say that......had a large cardboard Stork on the front of my 'Ford Thames'' van......the rep for 'Van den burghs' who sold Stork margarine gave it me,,lasted a while, finally blew off crossing Gunthorpe bridge.........i was only a boy.........lol

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Shops on Alfreton Road & Stork Club