Nottm bus routes 1940s

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Robinson designed ex Creat CentralĀ O4 actually !

Posted Images

!rotfl!

What have you been putting in your fags Kev?

:)

!congrats! Glad to see you've changed you picture, the other one frightened me!!!!!!!!!!! !rotfl!

Re the trams, apart from fact they are slow and noisy on the street sections it's the council's "follow the others" (who have done it well) attitude that I don't like, esp all their rubbish on about the new trams are nothing like the old ones, they are exactly the same, in so much as they need rails to run on and an overhead electricity supply and in my opinion that is their big drawback (they thought the same in the 1930's)

That, plus the fact a tram route to hucknall, which runs for alot of the way in duplicate to the robin hood line is of little use to someone living in arnold? likewise route 2 a waste of time for broxtowe residents, so unless they are going to replace every bus route with a tram route (at god knows what cost) I can't for life of me see how this is the way forward?

Oh, I see what you mean. I suppose being restricted to rails makes them a bit inflexible in terms of routes.

Can`t really be diverted to where the busiest places are or away from road problems can they?

exactly, so unless the city is a mass of rails and overhead wires the trams cannot serve the needs of the people needing regular local tansport, trolley buses (wires only) a better bet but still not the answer? Guess all to do with PC, global warming etc? but considering at any given time theres an estimated 680 747 jumbo jets flying at any given time and each one is burning fuel at a gallon a second (total over 1,000,000 gallons an hour) leaving my fiesta at home and catching the tram isn,t going to save the planet, and that's just one type of plane!

I read the number of planes wrong there.

I read it as over six hundred and eighty thousand jumbo jets in the air! Crikey! Lorra jets.

Then I realised that 747 was the type of plane. Dim old me.

Still, lorra jets, eh?

• 3 months later...

I am posting my first reply on the site so I hope it is of some interest! Great photo of the Trolley. For the "Anoraks" amongst us the actual vehicle is a Ransomes D6 with Brush bodywork, new to Nottingham on the 16th January 1932. It was withdrawn in February 1950 and sold later that year. The one in the photo is fleet no.349, registration number TV 4487. This one is long gone I'm afraid but another vehicle from the same batch, no.246, is currently residing, I think, at The Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello

I've just joined the forum after I discovered the 1940's bus/trolleybus map. I'm currently researching family history. My grandmother was a Lamin, the family lived in New Lodge, Red Hill for a long time (some are buried in the cemetery there). I'm curious about the trolleybus routes. I can distinctly remember going to visit my great aunt in about 1957, in a big house which had electricity but gas lighting. Might have been the same house. Anyway the point of posting this in the "bus routes" thread was that I am sure trolleybuses went past the house. I was a transport nut from an early age, and what comes to mind is a route 57 to Arnold. However, it's a long time ago :)

Does anyone know of later than 1940 developments of the trolleybus system? Or the buses for that matter

best

Paul

The 57 was not a trolley bus, just your ordinary diesel, but it did run to Arnold via Redhill so was probably the route you remember. I was born in Redhill but moved to Long Eaton in 1958.

Hopefully Stu will come along - he is the expert on all things Redhill!

I can't go back any further than the Eighties, i used to drive the number 57. It went from the market Square, all the way up Mansfield road and turned right opposite the White Hart into Cross street. There was an NCT bus that went up towards Redhill i think that was the 90.

The 57 was not a trolley bus, just your ordinary diesel, but it did run to Arnold via Redhill so was probably the route you remember. I was born in Redhill but moved to Long Eaton in 1958.

Hopefully Stu will come along - he is the expert on all things Redhill!

Thanks Limey

I guess 50+ years are playing a few tricks. I suspect I saw the trolleybuses in the centre a few times (they weren't in our locality at the time - Hayes (Kent) - so it was much more interesting!)

Paul

Paul, Eric and Den

Before the 57 service latterly re-routed to travel up Cross Street towards Arnold, leaving Mansfield Rd at the White Hart juntion, it went straight on past Redhill Cemetery on it's way from the city and turned right into Redhill Road. It didn't go as far as Arnold town centre but actually terminated at the junction of Redhill Road and Mellors Road opposite Redhill School and the shops. There was a large clock located up in a hedgerow there for the drivers to time their departures. As far as I am aware this service was, as Eric states, never a trolley service.

It was replaced by the '90' service which didn't terminate at Redhill but would carry on along Mellors Rd and turn right into Arnold town centre and terminate outside the Horse and Jockey pub on Front Street. It's successor (and current service, the '87' does similar.

Paul, you may be related to the farming family by the same name at Redhill? Lamin's Farm (and Lamin's Lane are just above the Leapool roundabout which is just north of Redhill and Arnold on the main A60 road. The lane leads to Killarney Park residential park and Bestwood Country Park.

Hi Stu

Thanks for the information. All I can really remember about the house was that it was large, with a good-sized high-walled garden, and that it was on the main (presumably Mansfield) Road. I also remember the buses, even if I did think they were trolleybuses!

My great-grandfather was a joiner, although his father was a farmer, so anything's possible. I'm still delving, although have just had a setback - a marriage certificate which I thought was for my great-grandfather has arrived - and it isn't! There appear to be no records for him between birth in 1866 and the 1901 census, when he was married to an irishwoman and had two daughters (my grandmother and great aunt). Ho hum!

Paul

Paul, you may be related to the farming family by the same name at Redhill? Lamin's Farm (and Lamin's Lane are just above the Leapool roundabout which is just north of Redhill and Arnold on the main A60 road. The lane leads to Killarney Park residential park and Bestwood Country Park.

Hi Stu

This may be possible. I've unearthed a John Lamin (born c1781) from the 1841 census, Bestwood Park, Lenton district (that year has no further information) with his 3 sons and 2 daughters. He was a farmer. In 1851 John Lamin had obviously died and it was his eldest son John jnr "farmer of 370 acres employing 4 indoor, 2 outdoor labourers", by 1861 the acreage had gone up a bit & they were shown as living at Bestwood Park Farmhouse.

Still investigating :)

Paul

• 3 months later...

Fascinating! About 1946 I guess from the lack of development of Bilborough etc. Some of the routes bring back memories. The 57 to Arnold via Redhill Road was previously part of the 4/4A which ran to/from Beeston. Likewise the 3 ran through from Radford Addington Road to Sneinton Dale. The Radford end became the 58. I think these changes took place about 1952/3. I notice that the 9 to Mapperley Haywood Road was still running via "Thorneywood Lane" - now Porchester Road, while a variant 9A occupied the route it later took - Gordon Road/Thorneywood Mount. I notice the 17 terminus in Bulwell is called Forest Road, which was later renamed Carey Road. Vast number of services started from Long Row, which at the time had 3 lanes of bus stops - one east facing, and two parallel ones west facing. When the north side of the Old Market Square was remodelled, several of these services were shuffled off elsewhere - 1/7/22 to Hanley Street, 2 to Goldsmith Street (about 1948 I think). West Bridgford services were also differently structured - 24 later went via Bridgford Road and Musters Road, instead of Loughborough Road, and I think the 11 did the opposite, while the 15 later turned west off Loughborough Road to Wolds Estate Rugby Road. The map also pre-dated the 53 ring road service - originally from Dunkirk to Valley Road/Mansfield Road. As far as I can see only the 17 and 25 are recognisably the same routes (more or less) today.

Have mentioned this before but a tram pole came off the wire and hit the walter fountain knocking off a lump which fell on to and killed a chap walking past! no other details or when etc. anyway heres an interesting photo, remember when we were all moaning last winter re lack of road gritting? any guess as regards the year? easy for those in the know!NTGM008436.jpg

Found the same photo published in a book, and it says January 1940.

Between 1950 and 1961 I used to live on Elstree Drive at the end of Hollington Road and the start of Wigman Road we used to use the number 56, 60 and 13 buses to get into town. They all terminated on Friar Lane I recall.

When we occasionally caught the 13 I used to think we were on the wrong bus because it went a different way into town.

From 1961 to 1972 we lived on Russell Road and used to catch the 43 and 44 trolleybuses on Radford Road. The 43 dropped off at Slab Square then went on to Trent Bridge where it terminated. The 44 dropped off at Parliment St then went on to Colwick where it terminated. They both started at Bulwell.

I think the 43 was one of the longest city bus rides you could make going from Bulwell to Trent Bridge all for 6d in the 60's

There was also a number 42 service which ran from Bulwell and terminated in town at Parliment St

My Mum and Dad occasionally referred to the trolley buses as "trackless" which must because they replaced the trams which ran on tracks.

Some Saturdays my Dad and I would catch the number 2 motorbus on Gregory Boulevard which dropped us at Trinity Square in Town we'd then walk down to Meadow Lane to watch Notts.

My maternal grandfather William Thomas Whyley was a conductor on the Trams in the 20's and 30's

Anyone got any scans of the old bus tickets?

The fare from Radford Rd to town was 3d and I think the ticket was maroon in colour.

I used to practise my mental arithmatic adding up the serial number. It was a real find to have a serial number which was symetrical.It was supposed to be lucky.

When the conductor ran out of tickets and didn't have time to put a new reel in his machine you sometimes used to get 3 1d tickets or a 2d and a 1d ticket for a 3d fare. I think I once saw a kid get a string of 6 1d tickets for a 6d fare.Can you believe some kids actually collected bus tickets?

Simple pleasures.