Did anyone ever get online propeley with those free AOL disks that Woolworths and other shops used to give out at the till......or like where i lived, the kids used to get them to use as frisbees.

They were everywhere here - in magazines, store hand-outs etc. but then it changed to being pre-loaded on any new computer. It is the most invasive software I have ever encountered (well, apart from Norton) and almost impossible to eradicate completely.

I did use AOL for a while - over here they had the most toll-free dialup numbers! Once broadband became widely available, I didn't see the need for it anymore. Some folks seem to use their e-mail service a lot though!

I was in our local Curries the other day pricing up my new PC when I came to the "Any freebies" bit, the techie said that I could have 'Free' Norton Anti virus for 18 months, I told him I was very happy with Avast (Free) and he had to agree with me!!

I was first getting into computing when all those AOL things were around , and very nearly made that mistake!!

I got online with AOL with one of those discs but wish I hadn't bothered. The email used to be the best there was but I soon found that I was drowning in spam. I moved over to virtually spam free google mail. I did log on to my old AOL account recently after a year away and found I had over 2,000 unread messages - 99.9% spam.

• 3 weeks later...

I recall in '93 or '94 whilst living in Canada, AOL came out with a new version of their email program. Inside two days, the whole of the internet ground to a halt because the program sent out 100 copies of each email to the same recipient.

After that fiasco I steered clear of that outfit... cowboys, everyone of them.

For years afterwards, I would never reply to an email from one of their clients (someone@aol.com), because I wasn't sure if they were intelligent enough to read it!!

Come to think of it, I still don't reply!!!!