Do you mean "Players Angels" ? Carl.

Have a read of this this http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/sense_of_place/documentaries/a_womans_place.shtml

Listen to the 30 min audio documentary @ the bottom of the above link its quite intresting , or this should work

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/realmedia/2002/01/women.ram

• 1 year later...

Hi, new to the forum and hoping someone can throw some light on the Players Girls.

All I know is my mother met my father whilst in Nottingham either in the land army or as a `Players Girl`

I would love to find a photo of her.

A long shot I know but its worth a try

Carl

My mother was in the Land Army and she was stationed at Thorny Hall near Newark.My Dad was based in Yorkshire with the RCAF group 6 Tail Gunner, for some reason they moved to Wigsley towards the end of the war a few miles from where Mother was in the Land Army.Incidently most of the girls were from Nottingham a pick up would pick her up in Arnold with the rest of the girls in the back,l do have photo's of all the girls at Thorny but trying to post anything on this site forget it.My parents married at the end of the war so Mum became a Canadian war bride.Of interest to anybody the American pilot of Dad's Lancaster who was also in the RCAF was named Randy my older brother was named after him,so if your Mother was stationed atThorny l may have a photo of her.
  • 5 years later...

Not much changed today,only they call the personnel department Human resources (HR) today,still don't give a sh!t about the workers, you know the ones that actually do the work

Rog

• Like 1

My Daughter is doing something called a Dissertation' or something like that for a university degree in HR.......gave it me to read the other day.......saying 'what do you think Dad'?..............to me it was complete Gobbledegukes.......just didnt understand it at all,though i'm sure it was terrific for todays world and terminology.........just said 'that looks great duck'

All this HR and Personnel stuff today i just don't get...........when i went for a job at Marsdens in 1960...aged 15..........i just said to the Manager 'Rons sent me' (he was my cousin who had just left them to join the RAF)......''OK go in the back and put a white coat and apron on''........we had a cup of tea and five minute chat,.........then behind the counter saying 'morning Madam how can i help you''..............spent the next 7 years with them......and they were wonderful times i'll never forget.............different world today aint it',     ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Big outfits like Ericssons had a personnel dept when I left school.  I resent the term human resource.  I am not, nor ever was a piece of wood, or a can of oil.  They are resources.  Human beings are usually decent folks who need to be treated with respect.  I suppose it's just another form of PC.  :rolleyes:   Dehumanize  person and they can be treated inhumanely.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I suppose the job i'm currently doing for a Security company (interviewing) comes under HR,.........I've interviewed people for many years and really enjoy it,.............i go with my gut feeling on people.....still get it wrong sometimes,but on the whole i usually put the right people forward for Vetting by the companies HR dept.............which involves references,work history,criminal background checks,Passport number and the right to work in the UK.

When i had my own company often took a flyer on some i thought deserved another chance..........and quite often they turned out to be the best people at work..........they appreciated me giving em that chance,and i could totally rely on them,......don't get me wrong i had to get on their case a few times.....i still see these mostly blokes in Bulwell.......and am always greeted with fondness ,and a few cheeky quips about the past.

Most have let their SIA Badges lapse, or i would still find work for them,............i still have my Security Licences and they have come in handy for the many roles i cover..............my Certificate for window dressing,i don't talk about.............lol.

• Upvote 4

After leaving Plessey in March 68, I returned in January 69, and walked into the last department that I had worked, and saw one of the managers, and enquired as to what jobs were available. His answer was 'What do you want to do ?'. I told him 'inspection ' as that was slightly better pay than production, and started the following Monday morning. 

Thats all that was needed..... No Personnel Department or HR involvement needed, just a chat...... Brilliant!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for that R/R, seems like the dark ages now even though most of us were of the same generation as that personnel "officer".If  I was as pretentious as that I'd come out with "plus ca change, plus c`est la meme chose" ! She'd really gorra bob on ersen ent she?

• Like 1

Engaged to a girl who worked there for a time......Katrina from Carlton,...her 2 main attractions for me were, she was beautiful and had access to cheap Fags.........oh yes the third was i liked the smell......still do................lol.

i used to walk past the factory on Radford Blvd morning and night to go to work at Raleigh. Never forgot that smell of warm tobacco, the only way I can describe it. It was not a bad smell at all. 

• Like 1

To late now young Michael............but i'd have given it a go...........bet one or two would have 'rung my bell'............but i bow to your experience...........lol.

• Like 1

I remember the smell of tobacco in the air at Radford when we visited my grandparents. At the time I didn't know - or bother - what it was, but I was definitely aware of "that smell" which hit you when you got off the bus.

My grandad worked at Player's Radford all his life, and - like the Cadbury's workers who can't stand chocolate - he was a non-smoker all his life. So there wasn't a cigarette smell in their house, even though it was 2 minute walk from the factory. 

Whereas our house at Clifton had a permanent cigarette smell courtesy of my dad. I just took if for granted, and didn't really think about it until years later.

1 hour ago, catfan said:

On a packed bus full of women who have just done a shift at Players I don't think you would like the odour !

I doubt whether that would have put our Ben off in his heyday....oh sorry...he's still in his heyday, isn't he? :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I remember the smell of tobacco in the air at Radford when we visited my grandparents.

You and me both, CT. Every Thursday afternoon, on the way to Garden Street, I ran up and down the steps in front of Players and gazed up at the clock. That smell was so pungent, you could almost cut it with a knife!