Medicines from my childhood

Does anyone remember the medicine our mums gave us when we had a belly ache? it was called Indian Brandy. I can remember it's sweet taste & the smell. Not sure whether it helped or not. Do any of you guys know if it actually had any Brandy in it or was it just pretend?

I also remember Beechams powders can you still get them in the UK?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No matter where it hurt.when i a were a Nipper,,,Mam would Dab it with TCP or Smother it in Butter........the tell me to keep me ''Liberty Bodice'' buttoned up'  lol

Anyone thinking about mixing cannabis with cod liver oil don't .............. that is bad for your joints.

“Andrew’s Liver Salts”. I knew someone who took Andrew’s Liver salts twice a day all of his life. When he passed away they had to beat his liver to death with a stick.

Yes, you can still get Beechams Powders and Indian Brandy. It didn't have any alcohol in it so you can't blame your mum for your adiction!!!

Did you have Syrup of Figs and Caster Oil?? What about the treacley stuff, was it something like molasses and another ingredient, I can't remember. It tasted like caramel and fudge.

Do you remember Spanish Root, something akin to lumps of wood. Also halfpenny licqurice sticks.

On the sweet side what about Black Jacks and boot laces.

My mouth is watering!!!

A :P

I think it is called indian brandee, some different spelling to avoid confusion. It still can be got from Boots if you ask for it. It has capsicum and rhubarb in it (from memory). Do not forget it should be taken in warm water for maximum benefit ;)

You can still get "Spanish root" from Holland & Barratt shops and some other health food shops.

Guest smithylass

Oh caz i can remember too....well seeing as your my sister i suppose i would !!! :P

Now black jacks...fruit salads ,shrimps.....oh where does it end...my son works in a large sweet store in the holidays.....place your orders please B)

What about the treacley stuff, was it something like molasses and another ingredient, I can't remember. It tasted like caramel and fudge.

Was that Radio Malt?

Can you get it today. I loved it, and can taste it now :P

there was also...

milky tiger nuts - small pip shaped nuts that you could chew forever.. Bemax, a box which which always sat on the shelf, and can't recall ever tasting.. bleach contained in glass bottles with a rubber type of seal in the cap which could leak if tipped sideways... and of course there was always good old Oxydol. victory

mick2me Posted on Jul 19 2005, 09:03 PM

Was that Radio Malt?

Can you get it today. I loved it, and can taste it now 

yahoo Very simular to the malt i use to make me beer with. Regarding getting it still today that i don't know.. Friends

tease A few weeks ago i came across one of my favourite things from my childhood on longEaton Market, Coconut shoelaces needless to say i bought some and was suprised at how much they cost [outragess]

Shock Here's another one from the past. I remember me mum giving me a peice of this on a bus going back home to Bilbourgh one day after doing some shopping in Nottingham, Caramac, does anybody else remember this light coffee coloured caramel confection. You still can buy it today, but it's 38p for a small bar..

cara0001.jpg

Friends Just found this Mick regarding your inquiry into that Malt stuff....

Virol was advertised as a health food , the same consistency as Cod liver oil and malt-- sticky toffee-ish.

For children and invalids -- . it was a fatty food from bone marrow-- would not be acceptable today would it ??

Friends Here's another i have come across in my searching, a product called Parrish's Food. It tasted like metal and made your teeth black. I have no experience of this one or recollection of it, does anyone else have... :ph34r:

Do you remember the sweet cigarettes as well? How times have changed. They came on to the shelves when smoking was fashionable. If my memory serves me correct, didn't we have chocolate ciggys wrapped in paper?

I remember the Tiger Nuts, they were fantastic. What about Cinder Toffee and Flying Saucers??

The list is endless, I think the malty stuff was Cod Liver Oil and Malt. There used to be Scotts emulsion as well.

A

Tutanic Posted on Jul 20 2005, 11:41 AM

Do you remember the sweet cigarettes as well? How times have changed. They came on to the shelves when smoking was fashionable. If my memory serves me correct, didn't we have chocolate ciggys wrapped in paper?

I remember the Tiger Nuts, they were fantastic. What about Cinder Toffee and Flying Saucers??

Friends Yes all the above and some you can still buy today like Sauces, Cinder Toffee & Tiger Nuts...

Friends Regarding sweet Cigarettes do you remember the Smoking kits, consisting of a pipe choc cigs matches....great fun, but not PC today...

Barnze Posted on Jul 20 2005, 09:22 AM

Take a trip to the Brewhouse museum and relive all those products and more..You can always nip to the Trip on the way out!

Do you visit the museum? Have you ever noticed a small fireplace in there, complete with all the copper measuring jugs and pans? It was made by my other halfs Grandfather, he was a tinsmith and used to make the measuring jugs for the local pubs and beer-offs in Radford. If you look closely at it you will see the name R Mart on the fire place, my husbands father.

Interesting place the museum.

A

Aaaaah the Nottstalgia of it all. I can smell the bonfire toffee as i type yummo!

As for the brown sticky stuff, my mum used to make me have that Sunday nights after a hot bath in front of the fire it was revolting,it smelt of greasy overalls.And then to make matters worse, we were given Syrup of Figs,& then we had vinegar combed through our hair to keep away the nits Shock oh the good old days !!??

And as for Caramac, we went to a place called Beechworth here in North East Victoria & went into a sweet shop which sells lollies[sweets] from all over the world & we bought a Caramac & shared it,& it was soooo yummy, it cost about two bucks I think,& worth every cent.

That's your fault Smiffy, now look what you've gone & done Fool :lol:

Yes, I did and now I can't wait for them to arrive!!

I got teacakes, Parma Violets and Aniseed Balls, not to mention Sweet Peanuts and Chocolate Raisins.

What a feast they are going to have.... who am I kidding, if they are not here when they arrive I will have a job saving them.

Thanks again, it was a great walk down memory lane.

A

Friends Didn't this topic start off as Medicines from your Childhood. Me thinks mick might split it..... I would myself but haven't practiced that yet...

Friends Not another Sweetie site, That reminds me, got to check up on my dental appointment. Just looking through those sites as given me cavities.....

cavity.gif

Yes Dennis it did start off with "Medicines from my Childhood" but we digressed, we are allowed to arent we?? anyway it's all about Nottstalgia after all, you've just got the hump cuz you can't add your own funny pics Tee Hee!! Friends

Friends Not very often i would agree with a womens opinions but this time i'm going to concede Caz. I'm quite aware that this is a site for Nostalgia in all it's forms but i think this Topic has strayed into the realms of womens fantasies for the sweet things in life. Aren't we being told at every turn of the page that sugar productes are harmful to our bodies and the teeth in particular, and with posting links to on line sweet shops is't helping with a womens cravings from her sweet tooth. Also it dosen't help me seeing all those childhood favourites in there vivid colours starring back at me and saying buy me buy me. Thanks Tuts and Smithylass i have just spent £45 over those two web sites, and no my grandkids are not having any of them, all mine... tease

wonkadazzle1.jpg

Can you remember Kaolin poltice? .. mum would often give us if we were naughty, it had a sticky consistency with the aroma of menthol or paraffin.. it would keep us boys quiet all afternoon as we tried to pry the pieces from between our teeth! :blink:

.. and the bottles of Bon and Bev coffee, always a treat, somehow different from the granulated stuff, add plenty of sugar and milk - shear nirvana! :P

What about Camp coffee? And OMO washpowder. Names to be conjured with.

Shall we digress in to the adverts, what could you spray on a mirror 'cause it was crystal clear?

What did you do to wonder where the yellow went?

A