Medicines from my childhood

hi tutanic.. forgot about the camp coffee!

re those sweeties you've ordered, if you send me a PM with your address I maybe able to come round and help you identify each item and give you a brief history of their manufacture.

or maybe If you were to send me a few, I could post a comment on this board!

no promises though! yahoo

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No matter where it hurt.when i a were a Nipper,,,Mam would Dab it with TCP or Smother it in Butter........the tell me to keep me ''Liberty Bodice'' buttoned up'  lol

Anyone thinking about mixing cannabis with cod liver oil don't .............. that is bad for your joints.

“Andrew’s Liver Salts”. I knew someone who took Andrew’s Liver salts twice a day all of his life. When he passed away they had to beat his liver to death with a stick.

Oh Ilko,how come you picked kaolin poltice out your teeth? It was supposed to be for your back or chest.Did your mum stick it over ya mouth to shut you up or what?

I can remember making a few of those when I was training to be a nurse back in the mid 60s. It was pure torture for the poor sod on the receiving end tho. :(

Oh Ilko,how come you picked kaolin poltice out your teeth? It was supposed to be for your back or chest.Did your mum stick it over ya mouth to shut you up or what?

I can remember making a few of those when I was training to be a nurse back in the mid 60s. It was pure torture for the poor sod on the receiving end tho. :(

being a volunteer member of the red cross mum would often be very busy and I freely admit at times us boys were a handful to control. picking objects from her first aid kit to drown out the noise it would either the kaolin, or sometimes even a splint that would be wedged between our gums to keep us quiet.

the real downer was when she used the chloroform, she only had to show us the bottle and we would immediately behave, knowing that if we didn't there'd be those blinding headaches and dizzy spells to contend with...

but we hold no malice, indeed we thank her, as this is what has made us the fine upstanding citizens we are today!! ;)

My mum and dad used to give me two strange medical preparations , neither of which are availablr nowadays.

The first was Cod LIver Oil and Malt which came in a big brown jar and had a malty flavour. It had a consistency rather like the compound to make home made beer. Tasted quite nice.

The other was some sort of salad cream-looking stuff which I seem to remember was called something emulsion, can't remember exactly what. Tasted gross.

It seems to me our parents have a lot to answer for.

1 of my bad memories was being given cascarra? foul stuff. My dad managed to get a spoonfull of it in my mouth and then held my nose to make me swallow.I was too clever and spat it out,which always ended up with my mum shouting at my dad as i'd made a mess down my front. Happy Days :rolleyes:

Nottscops Posted on Jul 21 2005, 03:06 PM

The other was some sort of salad cream-looking stuff which I seem to remember was called something emulsion, can't remember exactly what. Tasted gross

The creamy stuff would be either Angers Emulsion or Scott's Emulsion.

Does any one remember Liquafruita, an evil stuff that was concentrated garlic. I could never quite work out why this was administered, did no one like kids in the good old days??

Hope your better half comes through her ordeal relatively unscathed, BIP. Not a pleasent time for either of you. Hope you make the holiday, it will do her good.

Have a good one Ilko and don't think about Daphne, she won't be far behind you...

A yahoo

• 9 years later...

I remember if I got a stye my mother used boracic lint. I tried to buy some a while ago and was told by the chemist that it was no longer made as it could cause blindness although I can;t find any verification of this.

Can you still buy Germolene? Pink stuff in small round tins that you put on rashes and grazes.

Yes you can....I have some in my medicine box.

Golden eye ointment,came in a little lead tube given out to patients who attended the eye hospital Nottingham

Rog

i used to get chilblains on my toes when I was little and my mum put "Wintergreen" on them. It was a stick of green stuff which she warmed by the fire if my memory serves me correctly [which it sometimes doesn't!] Can't remember what it smelled like but it didn't hurt, which was all I was concerned about..

#39 That was the possible alleged substance used by Sonny Liston in the first fight with Cassius Clay (Later Muhammad Ali) in 1964. Ali complained of his "eyes burning" but he recovered and Liston then didn't come out for the 7th round.

Hi MargieH, I remember the green stick of wintergreen. We got through a lot of it. I had chilblains every winter right up to leaving secondary school. Agony! After leaving I always wore boots in winter and then learned to drive. That cured the problem for good!

• Upvote 1

Funny how something unleashes the memories, the mention of Wintergreen.

My dad used it all the time so as a kid I related that smell to him, he had back and neck problems most of his adult life so used copious amounts of the stuff, and mum was always rubbing it on for him.

I despise smoking, but when I get a certain wiff of it now and again I think back to my dad and brother who were a heavy Park Drive smokers. Same with pipe tobacco, makes me think of my great uncle Harry.